Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Luther was a Catholic priest--so why wouldn't you expect it to follow Catholicism closely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 PM

95 posts, read 162,463 times
I am surprised when Protestants become aware that not all Protestants are alike. It is understandable and my own upbringing in the Baptist church led me to believe that there were Protestants and Catholics and no gray areas in between. But a little study and exploration reveals that the early Reformers were conservative and did not want to leave the Catholic church but rather to reform it. That is why many Lutherans consider themselves a "confessing" movement within the Catholic church and reject the radical reformation of many Protestant bodies that followed Martin Luther. Even the first Mass that Lutherans used was in Latin and later in the the vernacular; the churches remained as they were and just changed from being Roman Catholic to Lutheran and the new churches were built just like Catholic churches because the worship and understanding of the faith remained catholic. It was over 200 years later that some Lutherans became more Protestant, this was especially true in America and had something to do with wanting to fit it with the predominate Protestantism.

But just because some Christians are more like Roman Catholics doesn't mean they need to join the Roman church. It just comes down to degrees of "catholicity".

Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM

69 posts, read 177,753 times
Quote:
I am surprised when Protestants become aware that not all Protestants are alike. It is understandable and my own upbringing in the Baptist church led me to believe that there were Protestants and Catholics and no gray areas in between
Very good point. I was Catholic for years until leaving to become Anglican 4 years ago (I am now headed back to Rome) I always thought all protestants were like Baptists, Church of Christ, ect. I now see Anglicans (Still a debate whether protestant or not), Lutherans, some Methodists and Presbyterians retain certain "Catholic" elements in their worship/theology. I see Baptists, Church of Christ, Pentecostals, Church of the Nazarene, Non-Denominational Churches as more of the "Protestant style of worship/theology.

I hope all this made sense.

-Pat Healey

Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Healey View Post
Very good point. I was Catholic for years until leaving to become Anglican 4 years ago (I am now headed back to Rome) I always thought all protestants were like Baptists, Church of Christ, ect. I now see Anglicans (Still a debate whether protestant or not), Lutherans, some Methodists and Presbyterians retain certain "Catholic" elements in their worship/theology. I see Baptists, Church of Christ, Pentecostals, Church of the Nazarene, Non-Denominational Churches as more of the "Protestant style of worship/theology.

-Pat Healey
Welcome back.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Healey View Post

-Pat Healey
I almost became Anglican.

I remember C.S.Lewis say he attended an Anglican Church because it was the closest church to his home ( sounded good enough for me).

I just couldn't get my arms around ole Henry.

I join Juj in saying "welcome back"

Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,384 times
I third, Welcome back home Pat.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 PM

69 posts, read 177,753 times
Thanks DNick, Oakback, and juj. I start RCIA next Wednesday and I am excited. I pretty much know most stuff about the church but the more education the better.

-Pat Healey

Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 5,265 times
Default Rcia

Wait, you were Roman and need to take a class to become roman again? Good luck.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 5,265 times
Default One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

Anyone who is a Christian, by virtue of Baptism and faith in Jesus Christ, is a member of his Body, the Church. And the last I looked, Jesus had one body: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. So Orthodox, Roman, Lutheran, Episcopal, etc., all claim to not only be Christ's Body, -but to be his ONLY body; or the fullest expression of his Body. 1st Corinthians / Paul teaches there is one Christ and there is one body. For all the fury about Real Presence, Consubstantiation, etc, -all of this fades fully away when we realize each baptized believer is already the Body of Christ. Live on in faith.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:53 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
"Mom," she said to me, "they have a statue of DEAD JESUS on the altar!" She thought it was... how should I put this... in very bad taste.
It is hard to imagine some people are unfamiliar with a crucifix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity