Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times

Advertisements

About the basic teachings of Christ as stated in the NT?

Seems most folk here like to dwell on fringe theology. IMO this place is a clearinghouse for oddball teachings.

Seems that the blood of Jesus doesn't cut it for a lot of people. You have to have all of your ducks in a row to be right with God.

So much for Ephesians 2:8-10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Seems most folk here like to dwell on fringe theology. IMO this place is a clearinghouse for oddball teachings.

Seems that the blood of Jesus doesn't cut it for a lot of people. You have to have all of your ducks in a row to be right with God.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

These verses speak that we are not saved by our (man's) works. But works are what do save us. Just not MAN's works. Obviously those verses don't dispute the fact that the WORKS of JEsus saves us. So obviously works ARE required to be saved, after all Paul made that statement:

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his works:
Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life(Salvation)

So Paul tells us that works are a requirement to be saved (receive eternal life). But what works is Paul talking about in Romans 2:7 and those in Ephesians 2:9? Well 2:9 makes it clear that the works are those of ANY MAN. Jesus is definately not ANY MAN. Jesus is the Christ and those works spoken of in Romans 2:6 would be those works that Christ does THRU us by His will and power.

I have often said we are not saved BECAUSE of Jesus but that we are saved BY JESUS. What that means is that we are not saved because Jesus did something (Past tense) but that He is doing (Present tense) something thru us unto others.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 PM

783 posts, read 1,327,087 times
Quote:
Does anyone on this board care....
Some do, but an overwhelming majority subscribe to Universal Reconciliation, Pluralism and/or “New Age” Mysticism. I actually see more Christian doctrine & discussion of issues on some non-Christian forums.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Some do, but an overwhelming majority subscribe to Universal Reconciliation, Pluralism and/or “New Age” Mysticism. I actually see more Christian doctrine & discussion of issues on some non-Christian forums.
Yep.

I am glad that in real life most people are into the Gospel. Not the odd ball fringe stuff we see here.

The truth of the Word is simple and to the point. May God be praise and thanks that we can right with God in an easy way.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
I support freedom of expression. If people want to discuss a matter, it is up to those participating to choose whether or not to post in any particular thread. Why should we complain that not everything being discussed is of interest to us personally. For example, I'm not particularly interested in the views of Catholics because I mostly disagree with the Catholic church teachings. However, they are still free to come here and discuss things Catholic. Why should I try to stop them. There is a scripture somewhere that addresses this issue of worrying about what others are teaching or talking about - which basically says not to worry about it, that if something is not of the truth, that will be brought out in due time.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,574,371 times
Default Did you mean this passages?

Excerpt:
Quote:
A Pharisee Named Gamaliel
Bro Whitney Belbin Acts 5:34
"Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;"

Acts 5:35
"And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men."

Acts 5:36
"For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

Acts 5:37
"After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed."

Acts 5:38
"And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:"

Acts 5:39
"But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God."

Here we see a man, a Pharisee no less, a teacher of the law. Belonging to the sect that Jesus Himself called hypocrites showing much more wisdom in his thinking then even some of the so-called Christians of our Age. He shows this wisdom in his knowledge that if a work is not of God then that work will not stand. He even goes as far as to show this by example:
Acts 5:38-39
"And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God."
Thank God He even uses non-believers as examples for us!
It is not our place to be judging who is and who is not doing Gods work.
Blessings...

Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Quote:

Yes, there are some, not many though.....I find it funny how those that supposedly know the Bible so well, cannot get away from what the OT says. They seem to love to compare what happened before Christ to Islam of today, or use it as a backdrop for their own misunderstandings in general.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:

I am blessed to be among those who are considered oddballs by the mainstream.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:
The truth of the Word is simple and to the point. May God be praise and thanks that we can right with God in an easy way.
But you just said:

Quote:
You have to have all of your ducks in a row to be right with God.
How many ducks are there?

Look - I know thinking outside the box is a bit much for orthodox Christianity.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
Yes, that is the one. Thanks for taking time to pull it up Ans57. You're spirit of helping is appreciated. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity