Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:41 PM

138 posts, read 181,669 times

Advertisements

I can speak to the Hindu portion of the OP's original question.

I once visited a Hindu temple and spent several hours conversing with one of the priests, who was happy to answer my many questions.

According to him:
The Hindu faith celebrates, prays to, does devotion to, and loves and respects many Gods who go by many different names. But they are not a polytheistic faith. All of those "mini-gods" are there simply because man cannot be expected to comprehend God, who is vast, grand, eternal, omniscient, omnipotent, etc. So if a Hindu has a financial concern . . .he prays to the god who has to do with material well-being. A health concern . . he prays to the god who has to do with physical health (I believe there are even gods for such specific concerns as "skin," "eyes," "heart," etc.). If he wishes to grow in faith and diminish in ego, in jealousy, in cruelty to others, he would pray to another set of gods. But each Hindu knows, understands and acknowledges that each of these "mini-gods" are simply representative aspects of one God, and that one God is all living and non-living things in this universe.

He also said that the Hindu's "One God" (whom they call Brahmin - sp?) is the "same God" as the Judeo-Christian God . . indeed the same God as found in all religions (according to the priest).

He also said that Hindus do not believe their faith is the only path to God, and they do not encourage anyone to convert to Hinduism -- there is no need. They are happy to know that so many people of faith practice other religions, and that is in keeping with God's plan in their opinion.

He said "There is no need for conversion. You can believe as we believe if you wish, and yet remain in your own religion. One can be a Jewish Hindu, a Christian Hindu, a Hindu Hindu. If you wished to convert to Hindu I should warn you it offers nothing your current religion does not already offer."

Finally, another thing I found interesting in speaking with this priest is that he said that their "Jesus" was Krishna. Krishna is an historic person just like Jesus Christ, Abraham, Mohammed, etc.; he is an actual man who truly walked the earth. According to Hindu believe, Krishna is "the same man" as Jesus, and Hindus also believe that this "man" (who is actually God in human form, temporarily sent to visit us humans) has come to the earth many hundreds of times over hundreds of thousands of years. They believe that this man, who sometimes is called Krishna, other times Jesus, or Imhotep, or Siddhartha, are all one person, and really, this is just an opportunity God took to live with and dwell amongst men, to direct them towards a path that leads to God, through light and love and fellowship with one's brothers and sisters.

That's about the extent of my knowledge of the Hindu religion. I'll remember that kind priest in my heart always. He touched me deeply and I was so grateful he took the time to sit with me and answer my questions. I do believe it's a beautiful religion and one filled with light and mystery.

Peace to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM

P.S. -- I apologize, the OP didn't even ask about Hindu! After re-reading the replies I realize that I mixed up who asked what! It was one of the first responders who mentioned Hindu and expressed curiosity about their beliefs. Well, now I've already posted! Sorry if this was not requested directly by the OP.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmiller2 View Post
You do have a point that Buddhism is focused inward, but then again isnt Christianity also focused inward? You strive to find Jesus and save your own soul which is very similar to us purifying ours. However, one of the jewels of the Buddha is called 'sangha' which is the community. So out-reach with Buddha's word and kindness are to be spread to everyone, not just ourselves.

We see the gods as beings of immense power, but who cannot really help one on the path to nirvana. They are addicted to pleasure and therefore are stuck in samsara "the cycle of death and rebirth" just like we are. They may life to be 20 billion years old, but they will eventually die. There is no need to pray to a god because if you reach enlightenment like Lord Buddha did then you go to a heaven which is above that of the gods.

Karma and reicarnation are tricky subjects, but one is reincarnated many many times as you obviously already know. However, the idea that one man can instantly wipe away your karma is an absurd idea to me(in a polite way, pardon). Simply beleiving that a man is the son of a God and accepting him as such is a rediculous way to claim to go to heaven. If you accept Jesus Christ as you saviour and then go murder your family, are you still saved? Buddhism teaches that each action has a positive or negative reation no matter what you do. This is more logical to me. I belive in the Buddha but just believing in Him and accepting Him as the true teacher is not going to win me Nirvana. I must work to achieve my goal.

--Namaste
Well, to clairify, Jesus is not the son of a god. One of the teachings of Orthodox Christianity is that Jesus was God (the one who created the universe) in the body of a human. In the flesh as it were. The most central aspect of being a Christian is being in relationship with God.

From what you said I see three main differences between God and the gods.
  1. God is eternal and will never die.
  2. He is not addicted to pleasure and not stuck in samsara.
  3. He can save and cause you to be in Heaven, because He created Heaven.
Further, the idea of simply accepting Jesus as one's savior and then gaining heaven does seem ridiculous to the human mind, but this is what God did and He makes the rules. People want or think they have to earn salvation and that appears to be the case with Buddhism, but for the Christian salvation is a free gift from God, you cannot earn it. You can only either accept or decline the gift.

Given the choice, I would rather be right with God in one lifetime and have the guarantee of heaven, than to have to work at it for 1000s of lifetimes.

So a question to you: What is your understanding of Jesus and what is the source of your information about Jesus?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM

16 posts, read 23,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
P.S. -- I apologize, the OP didn't even ask about Hindu! After re-reading the replies I realize that I mixed up who asked what! It was one of the first responders who mentioned Hindu and expressed curiosity about their beliefs. Well, now I've already posted! Sorry if this was not requested directly by the OP.
No worries (: I'm glad you answered, it lends much to the debate.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM

16 posts, read 23,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well, to clairify, Jesus is not the son of a god. One of the teachings of Orthodox Christianity is that Jesus was God (the one who created the universe) in the body of a human. In the flesh as it were. The most central aspect of being a Christian is being in relationship with God.

From what you said I see three main differences between God and the gods.
  1. God is eternal and will never die.
  2. He is not addicted to pleasure and not stuck in samsara.
  3. He can save and cause you to be in Heaven, because He created Heaven.
Further, the idea of simply accepting Jesus as one's savior and then gaining heaven does seem ridiculous to the human mind, but this is what God did and He makes the rules. People want or think they have to earn salvation and that appears to be the case with Buddhism, but for the Christian salvation is a free gift from God, you cannot earn it. You can only either accept or decline the gift.

Given the choice, I would rather be right with God in one lifetime and have the guarantee of heaven, than to have to work at it for 1000s of lifetimes.

So a question to you: What is your understanding of Jesus and what is the source of your information about Jesus?
Yes there are many differences between our gods and your God. That is obvious and i accept it. However, salvation is a "free gift" from God, as you put it, which sounds great and i respect that. I just can't believe it. Also, one doesnt necessarily have to work at becoming enlightened over 1000 lifetimes. It can happen in this lifetime or the first or the last. It depends on the person and his/her karma. You said that salvation is a gift from God that is not earned. Do you not earn it through performing virtuous actions and staying away from sins? That sounds like the earn system to me. Again, I cant believe that simply believing in Christ as the savior negates all of your future sins.
To answer you last question, I was raised in a devoutly Roman Catholic(which is considered the one true church) household until the age of 16 when i began to study other religions and eventually converted to Buddhism. So yes, I have had intensive study of the Gospels, the Bible, and Jeus Christ.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM

26 posts, read 59,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
...Given the choice, I would rather be right with God in one lifetime and have the guarantee of heaven, than to have to work at it for 1000s of lifetimes.
I apologize in advance for the following sarcasm but...really??

I'd rather put half & half in my cereal everyday instead of 1%. I'd rather pay my taxes with lottery winnings. I'd rather Michael Bay not direct another movie but I have a feeling none of these things are gonna happen.

The only thread of commonality between all major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism) and even lesser known faiths like Sikhism, Jainism, Shintoism, Taoism, and even my Utah brethren (the Mormons) = the golden rule.

The Golden Rule in World Religions

Have a good day. Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by june 7th; 09-27-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM

I really respect your point, ncmiller2. I have always had an issue with the belief that since Jesus died for our sins, we don't really have to concern ourselves with making reparations, as we're already saved.

The Buddhist perspective as you said has to do with karma, and the idea that all actions have positive and negative ramifications that impact our lives (soul and karma) in various ways.

The Jewish perspective is similar but uses different language. In observance of Yom Kippur, one undertakes to make amends, reparations, for any wrongdoing. So if you rob someone, you go to them, admit it, and repay them at least the equal value if not beyond it (most would go beyond). If you defame someone, you publicly admit the lie and put the blame back on yourself. etc. Obviously the trouble comes up with things like murder, which you can't really repair in the same sense you can with the others. Sometimes all you can do is apologize and let your regret be known. I respect this practice.

I always worried about the practice of confession of sins to a priest. It's a sacrament, and a holy one, and that part of it is beautiful. But if it leaves one with the impression that you are now absolved, and the incident is over, I think we wind up with a lot of hurt feelings that could otherwise be healed. If the Church taught that first one must go to the one you have injured (in word or in deed) and make amends to the best of your ability, and then one may visit the priest to formally confess the sins to God and do repentance through the rosary and other prayer, that would make more sense to me. I don't believe our actions are ever erased merely by prayer; the wounded we leave in our path when we are less than considerate of others could likely attest to that!

Thank you for spelling out the Buddhist belief. Again, I see so many similarities between different systems of belief. Sometimes it's even just a semantics issue that separates us.

I too was raised a Catholic and am intimately familiar with the ins and outs of the Church.

Quote:
Yes there are many differences between our gods and your God. That is obvious and i accept it. However, salvation is a "free gift" from God, as you put it, which sounds great and i respect that. I just can't believe it. Also, one doesnt necessarily have to work at becoming enlightened over 1000 lifetimes. It can happen in this lifetime or the first or the last. It depends on the person and his/her karma. You said that salvation is a gift from God that is not earned. Do you not earn it through performing virtuous actions and staying away from sins? That sounds like the earn system to me. Again, I cant believe that simply believing in Christ as the savior negates all of your future sins.
To answer you last question, I was raised in a devoutly Roman Catholic(which is considered the one true church) household until the age of 16 when i began to study other religions and eventually converted to Buddhism. So yes, I have had intensive study of the Gospels, the Bible, and Jeus Christ.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
However, salvation is a "free gift" from God, as you put it, which sounds great and i respect that. I just can't believe it. **********.
You said that salvation is a gift from God that is not earned. Do you not earn it through performing virtuous actions and staying away from sins? That sounds like the earn system to me. Again, I cant believe that simply believing in Christ as the savior negates all of your future sins.

Well, I'll leave you with this:

Ephesians 2:8-10

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

And

1John 1:8-9

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, Jesus is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

So we see this:
  1. Salvation is a gift and it is not based on works, but after we come to Christ there are good works to be done.
  2. Our future sins are forgiven, if we confess our sins day by day. Both specific and in general.
With that said, I am off to town!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespian666 View Post
I apologize in advance for the following sarcasm but...really??

I'd rather put half & half in my cereal everyday instead of 1%. I'd rather pay my taxes with lottery winnings. I'd rather Michael Bay not direct another movie but I have a feeling none of these things are gonna happen.

The only thread of commonality between all major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism) and even lesser known faiths like Sikhism, Jainism, Shintoism, Taoism, and even my Utah brethren (the Mormons) = the golden rule.

The Golden Rule in World Religions

Have a good day. Sorry for being a bit of a pr-ck but I couldn't help it.

Thanks for that site you posted! I love it!

This one in particular, from Taoism, is quite simply beautiful!

Regard your neighbor’s gain as your gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.
Tai Shang Kan Yin P’ien

Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Buddhism is basicly a religion with no God. Like a new age type belief that is ageless with diffrent ideas than the Western verson of new age. .... This is a belief that anointed Christians can never change to and adopt as a life style, but weak christians may be able to adopt to Buddhism....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity