Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,482 times

Advertisements

For some people who have never been around charismatic Christians, they may be confused and don't understand it. Since they've never experienced speaking in tongues some people assume it's from the devil. But if one doesn't believe in speaking in tongues, why would God give that person the ability? He's not going to give someone something they don't want or don't think is real.

I've never spoken in tongues, but I know a few people who have and I grew up in a charismatic church. Two of my closest friends speak in tongues and they are people I really admire. Their relationship with the Lord is something I strive to have. It makes me sad to hear what you just told us. I will most definitely be praying. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Who believes that Speaking in Tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit (different from the fruits of the Spirit) and that the gifts of the Holy Spirit e.g. prophecy, tongues . . are still in operation today?
Has there ever been a test where a person with the gift of tongues was recorded and had two different people who had the gift of interpretation of tongues, each translated it and compared the translations? (I am afraid the answer will be something like the Holy Spirit gives different interpretations to different people.)

As I understand Pentecost, it was about Peter speaking the Gospel to the masses and everyone being able to understand Peter in their own language, a language that a specific culture shared and knew. It was not an unknown language only known to a few with a charismatic gift.

Catholics have a charismatic movement which has speaking in tongues and interpretation so I am not at liberty to dismiss it outright. If that is what you prefer and it brings you closer to Christ, then so be it.

My problem with all of it is is that all those gifts are so easily manipulated and falsified that there is almost no way to tell true gifts from false gifts. So I don't try.

Last edited by juj; 09-29-2010 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,201 times
Greetings, folks.

This is a reminder to please keep things ON TOPIC.

~Thanks!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,798 times
Quote:
Well there was a teen organized worship service with all denominations Saturday night. Everyone of every Christian belief, any denomination, church member or not was invited to attend.

My son help organize.

I went with my family to support it.

The speaker that night was from a non-denominational church, and when there was an invitation to go up and be prayed for, he and some members of the church, started praying, some speaking in tongues.

I couldn't hear that part.

But a few members in the pews started praying together in tongues.

All of a sudden, people started leaving in droves, some running out, some teen girls crying in fear.

My son stayed, and I stayed, I was confused, but was not leaving.
You should have left as I should have when confronted by such a phenomenon.

1 Corinthians 14:32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Quote:
We were confused about what happened, but instead of gossipping, we went to that Church's church service Sunday night, to talk to them cause my son wasn't sure what happened to him, he agreeed for them to annoit him and lay hands on him.
Are they teaching to receive the Holy Spirit again? The anointing happened at salvation. Don't let anyone kid you. Some will teach receiving the Holy Spirit again just to speak in tongues: that is a lie as well. The phenomenon is real but it is not of the LOrd simply because they are preaching another spirit to receive: even if they call that spirit, the Holy Spirit BECAUSE you cannot receive the Holy Spirit again.

Note how there is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit by way of Jesus Christ upon salvation, thus the reason why it is considered the "one hope of our calling".

Ephesians 4: 4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

There is only one drink of the One Spirit and that happens at salvation.

1 Corinthians 12:13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

The danger here is how people will be misled by false spirits or signs and wonders into thinking that one can receive the Holy Spirit again.

2 Corinthians 11:1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. 2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

1 John 4: 1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

May the Lord help you to understand this verse because it is not about Jesus having come in the flesh in the past, but it is referring to the faith in Jesus Christ as presently being within us which serves also as an examination in the faith.

2 Corinthians 13:5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

So 1 John 4:2 wasn't about Jesus having come in the flesh, but it is referring to present believers declaring their faith that Jesus is in us. Proof of this lines of discernment continues.

1 John 4: 3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

I pray that you see by His grace that when believers start confessing that the Holy Spirit or the Spirit of Christ is in the worship place, coming and going, falling on believers again and again... this is proof that it is not of God, but other spirits which is in the world that seeks to be felt and to be seen when received. Again, the line of discernment is that greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world.

It goes on to say what is of the world and their spirits:

1 John 4: 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Speaking in tongues is a foreign language that needs an interpretation. Tongues is never meant as a prayer language because the world has that kind of tongues before the Gospel came so it is not a gift of God. God's gift of tongues is a foreign language that needs interpretation. The world's tongues is just babbling where there is no interpretation. And the oddity of this world's babbling tongue is gained by seeking after familiar spirits. Therefore if anyone has tongues that speak as the world speak and hear as the world hears, then it is the spirit of error.

None of God's gift of tongues can be gained by receiving the Holy Spirit again....so that is why believers are not to believe every spirit but test them: there is no anointing seperate from the baptism of the Spirit at salvation. I know of some that would testify of the experience of the "Holy Spirit" coming over them and they start speaking in tongues, but if you take note of these testimonies: Joyce Meyers will say that her experience meant she was being anointed for the ministry whereas a neighbor across the street can have the same experience and say that was when she was really saved because she had been a believer before, but it was that moment when she was "truly saved" thus chnaging her testimony as well as the Gosple on how one is saved to looking for signs and wonders as proof of salvation.

These are people that failed to test the spirits in seeing what those spirits were leading them to say and to believe, misleading others into thinking that the Holy Spirit can be received again: when in according to the faith in Christ Jesus: there is no other spirit to receive as we are complete in Christ. Some will even preach a continual filling of the Spirit, but that would go against this testimony we are supposed to have in Christ.

Matthew 9: 17Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

There can be no continual filling of the Spirit because we are filled when we got saved. To imply a continual filling would siggest that we are not new wineksins able to hold the new wine. We are to be witnesses of the Son now that we are saved: not in the process of being saved. That is the only way we can be witnesses of the Good News now.

Wayward believers are not testing the spirits but believing every one of them that comes over them, not paying attention to how their words and practise in worship goes against the truths of the Gospel.

This is what has been prophesied to occur in the latter days.

1 Timothy 4: 1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

The biggest lie in hypocrisey is believing that the Holy Spirit is in them and yet they are calling for the Holy Spirit to come and fall on them. This is a departure from the faith in word and deeds, allowing other spirits to take the spotlight off of learning of Christ through the edification of the word by causing unwary believers into seeking after signs and wonders.

Quote:
P.S. At first I was frightened as well . . but as time passed Saturday night, I felt these people were not a "farce" but sincere . . but I need to test these spirits.

Help, advice needed, and prayer as well.
It is not of God. God is not the author of confusion but of peace as in ALL churches of the saints.

If anyone seek a spiritual gift, they should ask Jesus Christ for the gift of prophesy because that edifies the church.

John 14:13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

They should not be asking the Holy Spirit directly for these gifts.

1 Timothy 2: 5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John 10: 1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber....7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9I am the door:

The Holy Spirit gets these gifts from Jesus Christ.

John 16:13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Even the fruits of the Spirit are from Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1: 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

They should not be seeking to receive the Holy Spirit again just to speak in tongues. These phenomenons are real, but it has been in the world before Christ came and so it is not of the Lord. It is of the devil.

This is why believers are not to go with the flow of whatever spirit is moving in the worship place. Indeed, Him being within us tells us to heed this warning as well.

Matthew 24:23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25Behold, I have told you before. 26Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

The test of faith will always be the one defended in worship and in our walk and talk in being a witness of Him.

Colossians 1: 27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

So ask yourself these questions about tongues:

If tongues is unfruitful unless understood and tongues are to come with interpretation, then why would God manifest tongues in a congregation that all speak the same language when Paul as led by the Spirit exhorted believers to seek the gift of prophesy over all spiritual gifts INCLUDING tongues? God is not vain to manifest tongues in an all English speaking church. God prefers us to be edified in the knowledge of Him so that our love may abound yet more and more. If Jesus gave the parable of the unfaithful steward that buried his talent, then why would God do the same thing with tongues, burying the gift by having no interpretation? He wouldn't.

Trying to rationalize the lack of interpretation by saying it is a prayer language goes against scriptures in that no sound needs be uttered.

Matthew 6: 7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

The problem with tongues is that it takes the believers eyes off of learning of Jesus through the written word into seeking after familiar spirits and signs and wonders.

Paul exhorted prophesy over tongues and yet today, tongues is the one easily accessible by seeking to receive the Holy Spirit again??? It is easily accessible because it is after the rudiment in the world in how they get tongues...by seeking another spirit to receive and they see it when they receive it. Sometime they receive it by seeing it when falling down and doing body twichings, some will be struck mute momentarily, some will be held down by an unseen force, some will laugh uncontrollably, some will fly around the room, some will bark like a dog or roar like a lion, etc. basically, they will see it happened when they receive this other spirit.

John 14:16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you

Being born again happens at the moment of salvation. Jesus told Nicodemus that no one will know WHEN it happens when one is born again, for it will be like the wind, BUT Jesus went on to explaining HOW it will happen and that is by believing in Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

The Lord helped me in keeping me from falling after it when I was confronted with a church invloved in the "holy laughter" movement. The pastor did not know what was going on, but they were just going to "go with it" as "the Spirit leads".

I would suggest asking the Lord Jesus for help. I was unable to warn my parents to see the error of it: fortunately, my dad was not into it, but my mother was on the fence so to speak because her sister, my aunt, was into it.

I do not know how the Lord will help you in facing this, but you will have to love Him more than your son if your son refuses to see the correction. You may find yourself withdrawing support from your son being involved so that he may see that you are serious about that not being of the Lord.

Again... ask the Lord for help in this. He helped me by keeping me from serving something else in His name when I am to serve the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 5: 7Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Greetings, folks.

This is a reminder to please keep things ON TOPIC.

~Thanks!
Harry Truman Said:

"If You Can't Stand The Heat...Stay Out Of The Kitchen!"

Last edited by Melvin.George; 09-29-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 03:27 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Has there ever been a test where a person with the gift of tongues was recorded and had two different people who had the gift of interpretation of tongues, each translated it and compared the translations? (I am afraid the answer will be something like the Holy Spirit gives different interpretations to different people.)
Once in a worship service I attended, my tongue was later indentified as 'Northern Mandrin'. Two in attendance knew Northern Mandrin as their primary language. They were very excited to be hearing a tongue of their native language.

There was an 'interpretation', and after the service the native Mandrin speakers wrote out a word-for-word translation of what they heard.

The word-for-word translation was for us to follow Paul's example in that Paul spoke God's Word to unbelievers and brought them to Christ Jesus.

The interpretation was about us speaking God's Word to unbelievers and bringing them to Christ Jesus. There was no mention of Paul in the interpretation.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:56 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
The gift of tongues is a rich gift that is for the soul of the Children of God, and is great for a point of contact for all the gifts of the Holy Spirit...... The Lord anointed me with a unknown tongues which is the travailing Spirit tongues which is used for clearing darkness away and relaying messages in the Spirit. And can be used for building power for a Blood of Jesus hedge around believers in the church and other people prayers.....Glory to God....

Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post

As I understand Pentecost, it was about Peter speaking the Gospel to the masses and everyone being able to understand Peter in their own language, a language that a specific culture shared and knew. It was not an unknown language only known to a few with a charismatic gift.

Catholics have a charismatic movement which has speaking in tongues and interpretation so I am not at liberty to dismiss it outright. If that is what you prefer and it brings you closer to Christ, then so be it.

My problem with all of it is is that all those gifts are so easily manipulated and falsified that there is almost no way to tell true gifts from false gifts. So I don't try.
I agree...

Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,609 times
This is a divisive topic, more than I had imagined.

I'm still studying . . if anyone has anymore to add . . please do . .

Bud if you are reading this, can you direct me to biblical info regarding this, thanks.

Thank you for the responses and for those that said they would pray.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
This is a divisive topic, more than I had imagined.

I'm still studying . . if anyone has anymore to add . . please do . .

Bud if you are reading this, can you direct me to biblical info regarding this, thanks.

Thank you for the responses and for those that said they would pray.
I suggest that you look through the following links:

Truth Or Tradition

Truth Or Tradition - Videos on speaking in tongues, what it is, is not, is for, how to do it, Bible

Truth Or Tradition - What is Speaking [Praying, Talking] in Tongues? Why does God say to do it?

Truth Or Tradition - Watch a video teaching on Speaking [Praying] in Tongues / Interpretation of...

Truth Or Tradition - The Importance of Speaking in Tongues, 1 Corinthians 13:1, 14:5, 14:22-23...

Truth Or Tradition - What does the Bible say about Interpretation of Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14:5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity