Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times

Advertisements

God is love. What goes along with God's love? Obedience.

Ephesians 5
[1] Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
[2] And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
[3] But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
[4] Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
[5] For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
[6] Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
[7] Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

If you're not obedient to God's commands, then you don't have His love in you. Be not deceived about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Shouldn't you be more concerned about your own walk with God and obedience to him and reminding yourself if you are not obedient you too are deceiving yourself , instead of worrying about somebody else's walk. Can you not trust the Lord to nurture and discipline His own children into obedience when needed ?.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Shouldn't you be more concerned about your own walk with God and obedience to him and reminding yourself if you are not obedient you too are deceiving yourself , instead of worrying about somebody else's walk. Can you not trust the Lord to nurture and discipline His own children into obedience when needed ?.
Sadly, people think one can be saved without obedience. I rebuke that foul doctrine. If people have God's love, then as the scriptures conclude, they will walk in obedience.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Sadly, people think one can be saved without obedience. I rebuke that foul doctrine. If people have God's love, then as the scriptures conclude, they will walk in obedience.
I am correct in assuming that if one of your own beloved children (granted you have any) is continually being disobedient to your rules, you would then withdraw your love with utmost finality and punish them in the most horrific, unimaginable manner for eternity...to what? to teach them a lesson that could be too late to learn?

An inquiring mind would like to know...

Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
In Ephesians 5:11- ``And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness but rather reprove them``.... Apostle Paul says to reprove them or scold or rebuke them people who don`t love and have unfriutful works...... It is easy if you do not teach or correct to ignore and move on , but God is love and HIS love is uncorruptable and correction can be corrupt if repentance and redemption of Christ is left out , Just a thought......

Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In Ephesians 5:11- ``And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness but rather reprove them``.... Apostle Paul says to reprove them or scold or rebuke them people who don`t love and have unfriutful works...... It is easy if you do not teach or correct to ignore and move on , but God is love and HIS love is uncorruptable and correction can be corrupt if repentance and redemption of Christ is left out , Just a thought......
It's also easy to have your eyes on everyone else but yourself too, and if that is the case i would put my house on it that that person needs reproving,rebuked and scolded too.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
1 John 2:3 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. 7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8 Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.
9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble.

1 John 3:21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

What is God's command? To believe in Jesus, to walk as He walks, in short: to LOVE.

1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

So if you do not love, you do not follow God's commands and you do not know God, because God is love and He commands us to love. If that's what you were trying to say scgraham, then I agree with you. There are a lot of people that don't know God right now.

1 John is a great book.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 PM

823 posts, read 1,400,612 times
I do agree that God's Love within us is so very strong that it takes away our desires to sin. The more we receive it and become at one with him the less likely we sin. I know this for a fact within my own life.

I do also believe that we shall reap what we sow and we shall pay for our sins.

If God's Love dwelling within us is ever so powerful, that naturally obedience tends to occur to a higher degree - why is it that we on this forum do not shout it out unitedly if that is one thing that we can all agree upon ?

If we can all agree on what Jesus told us to focus on...the most important of all commandments, can we not come together as Christians unitedly to share with all of the lurkers about how God's Love can truly change us into nicer human beings?

I think that Jesus knew that the Word would not be easily understood and possibly he could foresee the different ways that people would understand it and perhaps why he told us to Love God and Each Other above all us..... that is something we can all understand, agree upon and if practiced earnestly by each and every one of us... it would truly change our world.

How can we even start to think of such a dream? By coming together as Christians with the most important message from Jesus and act on it! If more people could witness the transforming of others' souls by the Love of God, perhaps they may also want to give it a try? Just maybe! This is a better approach than to force people to Love God or else!

I believe that this is a commandment that can be agreed upon by pretty much every religion out there - so why is it so overlooked? I cannot grasp the reasoning why?

I was never brought up to believe that I must love on God or else? I was taught and spent many a wonderful hour with a Sister at the Catholic Church who shared with me how much God Loves me. I in turn have seeked him throughout my life, sometimes with not as much desire as others but I also believe that once God's love is with you....even if it is just a little itty bitty bit it cannot be taken away from you and once that little seed of love is planted it can be nourished. I think this should be our focus with unbelievers.

Let us be channels of his peace.
Where there is hatred, let us bring his Love,
Where there is doubt, let us bring faith,
Where there is despair in life, let us proclaim of hope,
Where there is darkness let us bring his light

Last edited by SisterKat; 10-26-2010 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Beautiful thoughts SisterKat...

Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I do agree that God's Love within us is so very strong that it takes away our desires to sin. The more we receive it and become at one with him the less likely we sin. I know this for a fact within my own life.

I do also believe that we shall reap what we sow and we shall pay for our sins.

If God's Love dwelling within us is ever so powerful, that naturally obedience tends to occur to a higher degree - why is it that we on this forum do not shout it out unitedly if that is one thing that we can all agree upon ?

If we can all agree on what Jesus told us to focus on...the most important of all commandments, can we not come together as Christians unitedly to share with all of the lurkers about how God's Love can truly change us into nicer human beings?

I think that Jesus knew that the Word would not be easily understood and possibly he could foresee the different ways that people would understand it and perhaps why he told us to Love God and Each Other above all us..... that is something we can all understand, agree upon and if practiced earnestly by each and every one of us... it would truly change our world.

How can we even start to think of such a dream? By coming together as Christians with the most important message from Jesus and act on it! If more people could witness the transforming of others' souls by the Love of God, perhaps they may also want to give it a try? Just maybe! This is a better approach than to force people to Love God or else!

I believe that this is a commandment that can be agreed upon by pretty much every religion out there - so why is it so overlooked? I cannot grasp the reasoning why?

I was never brought up to believe that I must love on God or else? I was taught and spent many a wonderful hour with a Sister at the Catholic Church who shared with me how much God Loves me. I in turn have seeked him throughout my life, sometimes with not as much desire as others but I also believe that once God's love is with you....even if it is just a little itty bitty bit it cannot be taken away from you and once that little seed of love is planted it can be nourished. I think this should be our focus with unbelievers.

Let us be channels of his peace.
Where there is hatred, let us bring his Love,
Where there is doubt, let us bring faith,
Where there is despair in life, let us proclaim of hope,
Where there is darkness let us bring his light
Couldn't rep ya. EXCELLANT post!!! You go girl!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity