Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,778,819 times

Advertisements

What does the number of Christians have to do with that guy? In Europe and Asia hardly anyone has ever heard of him. Most Christians around the world are very moderate and not at all familiar with the evangelical branches. Lady Gaga is world-renowned, Graham is pretty much a nobody outside the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,742,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What does the number of Christians have to do with that guy? In Europe and Asia hardly anyone has ever heard of him. Most Christians around the world are very moderate and not at all familiar with the evangelical branches.
More evidence for you????

These are from '09 and '10....
Graham Festival \past_cities.aspx

Riga, Latvia, 12thousand plus attend
Osaka, Japan, 30 thousand
Chennai, India. 187 thousand plus.....
The list goes on and on.................

P.S. Here's the address of Billy Graham Office around the world...I bet there is one close to you!
http://www.billygraham.ca/about-us/i...l-offices.aspx
Spain

C/. Mequinenza 20
28022 Madrid
Spain
Phone: (34-91) 742-7911

Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Hey Neuling...

BGEA: Festivals & Celebrations

Look at some of these Billy Graham festivals from around the world
Go to Europe, Asia, South America, or Africa and ask 1000 people in any pedestrian zone who that guy is. Maybe 10 will have heard the name and of them 5 have no clue who he is, maybe an actor or singer

Old 12-25-2010, 02:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,965,038 times
Quote:
Chaplains in the military are not allowed to use the name of Christ in their sermons
Graham also strongly chastised the U.S. military, which has restricted Christians displays of faith.

“Chaplains in the United States military are not allowed to pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Isn’t that a shame that a chaplain in the Christian faith is not allowed to pray in the name of Christ? So yes, there is a war, no question about it.”

---
Anything to back up this claim?

My understanding is that (on overseas missions in Muslim countries) they can of course talk about Jesus in sermons and in church but cannot invoke religion outside the base & in public.

Last edited by Gary Siete; 12-25-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
More evidence for you????

These are from '09 and '10....
Graham Festival \past_cities.aspx

Riga, Latvia, 12thousand plus attend
Osaka, Japan, 30 thousand
Chennai, India. 187 thousand plus.....
The list goes on and on.................

People like him are like the piper of Hamelin, mainly trying to appeal to the uneducated masses in developing countries, he need not be surprised if sooner or later he finds a bullet in his head...
In Europe he would have a hard time, people are too educated for such cheap missionaries.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:19 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,943,672 times
Its a generational and a language thing. He was known in the UK maybe 20-30 years ago. Most people outside the English speaking world will not know who he is. Anyway, most western Europeans cannot be bothered with religion any more.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,742,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Graham also strongly chastised the U.S. military, which has restricted Christians displays of faith.

“Chaplains in the United States military are not allowed to pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Isn’t that a shame that a chaplain in the Christian faith is not allowed to pray in the name of Christ? So yes, there is a war, no question about it.”

---
Anything to back up this claim?
I know they can not proselytize in the name of Christ but they still use his name in sermons and music. They have to agree to the idea of Pluralism and that stick in some peopls craw.....

Old 12-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Its a generational and a language thing. He was known in the UK maybe 20-30 years ago. Most people outside the English speaking world will not know who he is. Anyway, most western Europeans cannot be bothered with religion any more.
Exactly my observation

And frankly, being American alone is all it takes for someone not to be taken seriously in Europe anymore as soon as it comes to anything other than technology. We are making fun of the pope like crazy, child abuser is a synonym for priest, etc. Does anyone really think we care what a naive American preacher boy has to say?

Old 12-25-2010, 02:42 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,996,960 times
Default "Be Quick To Listen And Slow To Speak" ... An Indication Of Wisdom !!!

Quote:
Wana bet?

[LEFT]However, the truth is that almost 400 million Christians live in Africa, 511 million in Latin America and about 200 million in Asia. Those people certainly aren’t Western imperialists. That’s half the religion’s population, and among them are the world’s poorest people

Read more: A wave of Christianophobia is sweeping the world - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/24/2541036/a-wave-of-christianophobia-is.html#ixzz199tGboIT - broken link)[/LEFT]

While I agree with the OP I would insert a small correction regarding the use of Christ by Military Chaplins.....My kids a Chaplins Assistant and they use Christ in sermons all they time.....
my54ford !!! ... Good Show !

I read that amazing information on the website you provided and it is indeed most encouraging !

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-25-2010 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:44 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,853,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Of course, this war rages on world wide and I keep thinking that the Muslims of the world intend to not let it die. It is too bad they have so much help from the anti-Christians of the Western world. An outstanding example of this 'war', to me, is the way that Christian ministers who serve as Chaplains in the military are not allowed to use the name of Christ in their sermons. That rule came from the top and must make them sick every time they have to preach their namby-pamby sermons.

As America Celebrates Christmas, Rev. Franklin Graham Says Secular 'War' Rages Against Christians
Despite what Graham claims, Military Chaplins are not prevented from using the name of Christ in prayers and sermons. It is just misinformation being spread by Gordon Klingenschmitt.

A Matter Of Honor: The Truth Comes Out About Former Chaplain Klingenschmitt « The Wall of Separation

Capt. Norm Holcomb, command chaplain at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia, sent an e-mail to the Kentucky House, giving every representative the facts about the Klingenschmitt controversy.
“I was the dishonored ex-chaplain’s supervisor for the past 2 years,” Holcomb wrote in his message. “I found him to be totally untruthful, unethical and insubordinate. He was and is contemptuous of all authority. He was not court martialed for praying in Jesus’ name. I sent him out in uniform every week to pray at various ceremonies and functions. He always prayed in uniform and in Jesus’ name. He was never told that he could not pray in Jesus’ name. In fact, the issue of prayer had nothing at all to do with his dismissal from the Navy. He disobeyed the lawful order of a senior officer. I am sure that you understand that Navy Regulations forbid any of us, regardless of rank or position, to appear in uniform in support of any political or partisan event.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity