Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Maybe I have a question or two. I knew you would be along and I feel that you have put forth a very good argument in favor of what could be all truth but not necessarily.
I never knowingly tell a lie.

Quote:
Is there a lot of difference in secular and non-sectarian? If so, maybe you could explain it to me.
Yes, there is a difference.

Secular basically means non-relgious, while non-sectarian (or, non-denominational) means religious in nature, but not specifically related to any denomination or faith. A good example would be referring to the Creator or god (little G) as opposed to Jehovah, the national God of Israel.

Quote:
Approximately what would the makeup of our armed forces, Muslim to Christian? I see a lot of talk about not offending Muslims but don't think there are enough of them in each unit to worry a lot about. Especially since they would provide their own chaplains if they were really worried.
The last figures I saw for Muslim members of the Armed Forces was, I think, about 2%.

However, this has nothing to do with Muslim's in particular as the services are made up of all kinds of faiths, from Protestant to Wiccan, and a substantial number with no religious faith at all. There are even true, practicing Atheist's.

The issue isn't what the Chaplains do during religious services, but what they do at non-religious gatherings which often include family members and outsiders as well. The Armed Forces are drawn from the population at large and, therefore, pretty accurately reflect that population, so all kinds of people can be present at just about any function.

While Chaplain's may pray at a public gathering in the name of whatever diety they worship, they are encouraged not to as an act of politeness. The Armed Forces, and their dependants, are a family and who would want to offend a family member and create disharmony in what is already a trying existance?

It just makes good sense to keep it simple and non-sectarian. The military services live and die by cohesiveness and trust. That shouldn't be discarded lightly to make a political or religious point.

Quote:
I see you making an attempt at denigrating Bachmann and doing so for a political reason at least as bad as the one she is using. Since there is nothing to do about the use of Jesus in sermons what damage would her amendment do to anything? It seems to me that you want to use political reasons to denigrate her when the damage that would be done by that amendment would be zero.
I'm not denigrating Bachmann personally. I'm denigrating her stupid amendment which has no real purpose, is not necessary and could create real problems for commanders who are already up to their necks in two wars. Since it addresses a non-existant "issue," what's the point? What's the purpose for proposing it? It's purely political in nature, has no real chance of passing, and is nothing more than pandering to an excitable and ill-informed base.

In other words, it's just another example of the kind of politics of division which is destroying this nation already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In other words, it's just another example of the kind of politics of division which is destroying this nation already.
Exactly! While those in power (politically and economically) continue to raid and pillage I imagine they laugh as the commoners backing both sides left and right continue to war with each other.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
There may be a war that the secularist ad the humanist war on Christianity but believers of Christianity do not fight against these forces with flesh and blood or pride and malice,... but fight through a higher court Than these group by the spiritual attacks against these ruler through the spirit, and can remove the spiritual authority over though who fight christianity and blaspheme the worship of Fortitude to the true God Lord Jesus Christ by this evil fear of public opinion of christian and expression......... Some may say ``bah``to all that, but when the war is watered down and the terrorist is gone home and tired then this will be the miracles by the Greater Throne of the Lord God

Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Yep, Spain and Portugal are not very far apart. Hardly any distance at all when you consider what we people in western Kansas have to drive to get most anywhere.

You are doing a fine job, keep at it.
Quote:
You have been seeing all kinds of proof about his visits or those of his organization so now it is time for you to prove that nobody in those areas know who he is. I thought that the 112 thousand at one rally in India was pretty impressive. Maybe all those people have died by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
YIKES! YES - Billy Graham is known worldwide and along with Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Mahatma Gandhi is one of the most recognizable faces on the planet to anyone 40 and up.

You might want to pick a different bone here since, although Billy ain't as hot stuff as Lady gaga right now, he DOES absolutely qualify as a world renowned Evangelist AND is the most world renowned evangelist in history.

(P.S. - I am not an evangelical Christian - I'm just commenting on this interesting little side issue which <i agree> has no real bearing on the OP anyway).

As I said hardly anybody here in Europe knows that guy. I don't have to prove anything, just come here and ask random people (not the small fraction of a percent that are part of such sects anyway) and you will see I am right.

It's like with Herbie Hancock giving a concert here in Portugal. It will be sold out. But those thousands of people are fans of his music and thus know him, while the general population has no clue who that guy is.

The vast majority of Europeans are too sophisticated and cool for such religious clowns. Thus they tend to look for victims in developing countries...

Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Of course, this war rages on world wide and I keep thinking that the Muslims of the world intend to not let it die. It is too bad they have so much help from the anti-Christians of the Western world. An outstanding example of this 'war', to me, is the way that Christian ministers who serve as Chaplains in the military are not allowed to use the name of Christ in their sermons. That rule came from the top and must make them sick every time they have to preach their namby-pamby sermons.

As America Celebrates Christmas, Rev. Franklin Graham Says Secular 'War' Rages Against Christians
It's quite obvious that you've never spent any time in the service or you would KNOW that there are people of ALL FAITHS serving in the military... even the dreaded Muslims...It's not just Christians making sure that you can continue to live a FREE life in this country...hence, the reason why services have to be generic...so that they can bless EVERYONE no matter what their faith is.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Of course, this war rages on world wide and I keep thinking that the Muslims of the world intend to not let it die. It is too bad they have so much help from the anti-Christians of the Western world. An outstanding example of this 'war', to me, is the way that Christian ministers who serve as Chaplains in the military are not allowed to use the name of Christ in their sermons. That rule came from the top and must make them sick every time they have to preach their namby-pamby sermons.

As America Celebrates Christmas, Rev. Franklin Graham Says Secular 'War' Rages Against Christians

If Christians would learn what spiritual warfare really is then they would realize Christianity is not worth defending in the first place.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
It's quite obvious that you've never spent any time in the service or you would KNOW that there are people of ALL FAITHS serving in the military... even the dreaded Muslims...It's not just Christians making sure that you can continue to live a FREE life in this country...hence, the reason why services have to be generic...so that they can bless EVERYONE no matter what their faith is.
You are mistaken. I know Roy, and he did serve.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 PM
AFH

28 posts, read 44,789 times
Quote:

You're right, it is an absolutely perfect example of this 'war'.

Because it is false. A lie. I'm sure you actually believe it, because you probably got the oft-forwarded e-mail, and when an e-mail validates the persecution complex that you embrace with both arms, I'm sure it never occurs to you that said e-mail could be false.

ACLU and Cemetery Crosses | FactCheck.org

Quote:
Praying in Jesus’ Name

Also false is the e-mail’s claim that "[t]he Navy Chaplains can no longer mention Jesus’ name in prayer thanks to the retched [sic] ACLU and our new administration."

Later versions of this e-mail corrected the misspelling of "wretched" but still mangled the facts about the case of former Navy Chaplain Gordon J. Klingenschmitt, to which the message likely alludes. A favorite of religious conservatives, Klingenschmitt accused his Navy superiors of pushing chaplains to offer generic, nonsectarian prayers. On his Web site, where he now solicits donations, news interviews and speaking engagements, he describes himself as "The Navy Chaplain who dared to pray ‘in Jesus’ name’ " and says he was "court-martialed for praying in Jesus’ name in uniform outside the White House." He accuses the Navy of "anti-Jesus persecution of chaplains."

Actually, the Navy court-martialed Klingenschmitt for disobeying an order. He appeared – in uniform – with others at a news conference to protest the president’s inaction on his complaints against the Navy. The event was in Lafayette Square, just across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House. Klingenschmitt said he was merely offering a public prayer. The military prosecutor said Klingenschmitt had been ordered not to wear his uniform at media events or political protests, and that the event was not a true worship service. A jury of five officers found him guilty of disobeying a lawful order and punished him with a reprimand and temporary reduction in pay. He left the Navy soon after.

Regardless of the merits or demerits of Klingenschmitt’s case, the ACLU had nothing to do with it. ACLU spokesman Will Matthews told us in an exchange of e-mails that "the ACLU was never involved in the case of Gordon Klingenschmitt." In our research we’ve uncovered no news accounts that describe any role by the ACLU.

Furthermore, Klingenschmitt’s removal from the Navy was not the doing of "the new administration," as this e-mail claims. Klingenschmitt’s court-martial took place in 2006. The president who was in the White House, and whose support Klingenschmitt unsuccessfully sought, was George W. Bush.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post
You're right, it is an absolutely perfect example of this 'war'.

Because it is false. A lie. I'm sure you actually believe it, because you probably got the oft-forwarded e-mail, and when an e-mail validates the persecution complex that you embrace with both arms, I'm sure it never occurs to you that said e-mail could be false.

ACLU and Cemetery Crosses | FactCheck.org
There is definitely a branch of Christianity which has an intense persecution complex.

But.... maybe we could just kindly inform of the known facts instead of: "I'm sure" and "it never occurs to you"?

Prejudice is never a good way to approach strangers or solve problems IMO. Only after an individual has personally proven to ignore all the facts (over time) can the diagnoses you made be proven, right?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:21 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
That guy is the son of the world renowned Billy Graham.

So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity