Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:36 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
The very fact that you say to a Muslim "the Christian god is the only true god" is, in itself, very offensive to him.
I thought Christians and Muslims worship the same God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 PM

954 posts, read 813,440 times
Sorry to keep quoting H.L.Mencken but he says it so well as far as I'm concerned. Apologies to those that have seen these quotes from me a hundred times....but I do like them!!

"The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous. Is it, perchance, cherished by persons who should know better? Then their folly should be brought out into the light of day, and exhibited there in all its hideousness until they flee from it, hiding their heads in shame.
True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbor and indulge his beliefs as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force. He has a right to argue for them as eloquently as he can, in season and out of season. He has a right to teach them to his children. But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. He has no right to preach them without challenge. Did Darrow, in the course of his dreadful bombardment of Bryan, drop a few shells, incidentally, into measurably cleaner camps? Then let the garrisons of those camps look to their defenses. They are free to shoot back. But they can't disarm their enemy.
-- H L Mencken.

"The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected."
-- H L Mencken,

Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM

668 posts, read 682,234 times
A brilliant point. But it is a long read and my fellow Americans won't give it it's due i'm afraid.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
Quote:
As you all know, I'm very anti "You must respect my religion" belief. What you Christians need to realise is that you don't have to "mock" the beliefs of another religion to become 'offensive'. The very fact that you say to a Muslim "the Christian god is the only true god" is, in itself, very offensive to him. There is one particular Christian on this forum who regularly posts things about Christianity being the only "true" religion and that anyone who believes otherwise is "going to burn in hell" and there are many that would find that offensive.

I have also seen posts from Christians saying that anyone who doesn't believe in JC/god is either mis-guided or an idiot. The Christian bible itself even describes us atheists as "Fools". Yep! Very tolerate is Christianity.
I'm one of those who says Jesus is the only way but that is my belief. I don't think a belief should be offensive. If a Muslim said Mohammad was God that would not offend me because that is his belief. But, if a Christian said that anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus as God is an idiot...that is different because that is attacking the person and not discussing the issue at hand...whatever that might be. Does that make sense? That is where I think we should just try and get along. Not so much in trying to be so PC that you can't even discuss your belief of lack of faith.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 AM

Short sentences you know...

Thats what we prefer...

Old 07-15-2007, 12:15 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
Quote:
Sorry to keep quoting H.L.Mencken but he says it so well as far as I'm concerned. Apologies to those that have seen these quotes from me a hundred times....but I do like them!!

"The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous. Is it, perchance, cherished by persons who should know better? Then their folly should be brought out into the light of day, and exhibited there in all its hideousness until they flee from it, hiding their heads in shame.
True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbor and indulge his beliefs as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force. He has a right to argue for them as eloquently as he can, in season and out of season. He has a right to teach them to his children. But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. He has no right to preach them without challenge. Did Darrow, in the course of his dreadful bombardment of Bryan, drop a few shells, incidentally, into measurably cleaner camps? Then let the garrisons of those camps look to their defenses. They are free to shoot back. But they can't disarm their enemy.
-- H L Mencken.

"The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected."
-- H L Mencken,
Again, I think it's good to criticize the person's beliefs and discuss them without criticizing the PERSON for that belief. That is where I think the respect shoud be...that person has a right to their beliefs...but that doesn't mean we have to respect the belief itself.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:55 AM

743 posts, read 2,234,342 times
Quote:
-- H L Mencken,
All opinons should be respected, even religous ones.....after all, we lthere is something callsed "freedom of religion"....

Why are you quoting Mencken anyway? I was flamed and attacked for quoting Pope John Paul based on "relevancy".....same goes here? Why should we listen to this guy?

Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 AM

743 posts, read 2,234,342 times
Along these lines....have you ever read or heard of the book "The Naked Public Square?"...by John Richard Neuhause?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:07 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
All opinons should be respected, even religous ones.....
So if I said that IMO, black people are inferior to white people or that women are inferior to men or that any baby that was born with defects should be destroyed at birth to avoid the cost of it's medical treatment being a burden on the tax payer or all immigrants should be deported back to their own country or the KKK are doing a fine job....should my opinion be respected? No! Opinions do not warrent respect...the person may but not his opinions.

Quote:
Why are you quoting Mencken anyway? I was flamed and attacked for quoting Pope John Paul based on "relevancy".....same goes here? Why should we listen to this guy?
You don't have to...I just happen to agree with him!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:20 AM

yeah agreement here also....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity