Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...interesting:
The Pope says the "Big Bang" was of God. I'm not a Catholic, but I think the universe probably did start out with a "big bang"...and I do think it was likely a direct result of God speaking a creative word. (such as "let there be light", etc)

God was behind Big Bang, pope says - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Since space is a vacuum and since sound cannot travel in a vacuum therefore there was no big bang.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Since space is a vacuum and since sound cannot travel in a vacuum therefore there was no big bang.

I don't think anyone is saying the "big bang" was a noise that one could have heard, but rather instead it was the extremely violent cataclysmic outward expansion and motion of the universe, from it's point of origin. For lack of any other word to describe it, they just call it the "big bang".
Yeah I know: it's just a theory.

Bud

Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
I agree. I was just giving a scientific view and having fun at the same time. I wonder when scientists will ever look at the bible and see the whole starting point for the creation was in Christ. I won't hold my breath.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
God said it...I believe it. My opinion is wrong a lot.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Did you know the guy who first came up with the Big Bang Theory was a Jesuit priest?

Even Albert Einstein initially scoffed at the idea. It was only after years of debate and "checking the math" that the majority of the scientific community came around to accepting the theory.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I think Lemaitre was a Jesuit educated priest, but I didn't think he was a Jesuit priest. Although I'm reading conflicting things on that.

Also Pope Pius XII accepting Big Bang theory in the 1950s.

PROOFS FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius XII in 1951
If the scientist turns his attention from the present state of the universe to the future, even the very remote future, he finds himself constrained to recognize, both in the macrocosm and in the microcosm, that the world is growing old. In the course of billions of years, even the apparently inexhaustible quantities of atomic nuclei lost utilizable energy and, so to speak, matter becomes like an extinct and scoriform volcano. And the thought comes spontaneously that if this present cosmos, today so pulsating with rhythm and life is, as we have seen, insufficient to explain itself, with still less reason, will any such explanation be forthcoming from the cosmos over which, in its own way, the shadow of death will have passed. In the past:

32. Let us now turn our attention to the past. The farther back we go, the more matter presents itself as always more enriched with free energy, and as a theater of vast cosmic disturbances. Thus everything seems to indicate that the material universe had in finite times a mighty beginning, provided as it was with an indescribably vast abundance of energy reserves, in virture of which, at first rapidly and then with increasing slowness, it evolved into its present state.

Although Lemaitre was reportedly unhappy with his reading of it.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
This is one of those rare occasions that I agree with the pope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity