Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:41 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
I studied a ton of religions in college from an academic perspective based on their history, ancient Greek and Roman beliefs, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Stoicism, Agnosticism, and the major Japanese religions. I just can't see someone being so scared of words that they are afraid to find out information.

I would be disappointed if my kids only learned about one religion because no religion has thus far been scientifically proven to be the right one.

People ARE afraid of words and other people with different beliefs because it might make them think and might make them change their minds. People who are truly sure of themselves should have no problem reading or listening to other religions, thoughts or philosophies. It seems so narrow minded and exclusive and I find it sad as it cuts out such a wonderful , fascinating variety of ideas and perspectives out of life if you exclude others who might not think like you... The world is a big place and I would like to believe we ALL have something to contribute to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM

358 posts, read 916,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
People ARE afraid of words and other people with different beliefs because it might make them think and might make them change their minds. People who are truly sure of themselves should have no problem reading or listening to other religions, thoughts or philosophies. It seems so narrow minded and exclusive and I find it sad as it cuts out such a wonderful , fascinating variety of ideas and perspectives out of life if you exclude others who might not think like you...
Exactly. And to clarify, we aren't talking about subjecting children to views of prostitution or crime or anything else! Just listening to other philosophies and religions does not mean that we automatically endorse those views at all.

I will also add that listening to views outside my own religion (especially on this thread) has absolutely cemented my own views on life.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
There r certian religious materials I would not allow in my house. I am very protective of my children. I don't want them confused by some strange doctrine. As a parent I have to do what I think is best for my children. I will not allow them to study anything that is in contradiction with the biblical values I have taught them. There are some Christian religions that contradict what I believe and have taught my children so I would not expose them to those either. However, I am an adult who is firmly rooted and grounded in the Bible and secure in my beliefs as a Christian so I think it is okay for me to look into other religions for the purpose of education only. I want to understand where other people r coming from in their religious practices. I would not compromise my own beliefs or try to incorporate something into Christianity that does not line up with the Bible. I think having a working knowledge of other religions and beliefs can help to promote an attitude of respect. I always want to be as respectful as I can to Christians who believe differently than I and those of other religions too.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Regarding brainwashing, my dad used to say "Brainwash your kids with the word of God!" And he did. We knew nothing but our religion.

Does anyone realize how bad this can screw up kids? (Keep the "yes Jeff look at you" comments to yourself). It took me years to learn to think for myself and to learn what I do and do not like because I was told what to like and not like and do and not do in accordance with our "religious beliefs". Kids need to be given the guidlines and the rules of play for life--do unto others, love one another, ect--but to give them no thoughts or options outside of the Bible pretty much guarantees 1 of 2 things: a robot who has no concept of "free will" and never questions anything, and this can spill over very easily into career, relationships...makes for a good factory line worker who is perpetually single and lives with 30 cats...

OR, they go party hardy and throw God out the window entirely, at least for awhile.

OR, you can raise them in the word but allow them to cultivate thier own understanding and relationship with God. Teach them to love God and their fellow man. Don't get hung up on the details.
I very strongly agree with you. I was raised in a small town in the "Bible Belt", where it is common for parents to push religion on their children. I think that it can be positive, but it can also be very destructive.

I think one fundamental role of parenthood is to teach children to make good decisions on their own. I'm in my 20's, and I had friends who were raised in one of these "Iron-fisted for Jesus" households, with no room for questioning religion. I've found that while some of them did fine, many others eventually rejected Christianity, out of distrust.

In other words, I believe that you have to tailor your religion for "the real world". Orthodox straight-from-the-box religion probably works if you live your entire life in isolation, like the Amish. But the more you shelter children, the bigger the shock will be when they're faced with science, education, dirty jokes, alcohol, drugs, sex, violence, etc. - and when/if they see that reality doesn't match up with what their religion taught them, then problems could arise.

For example: If you teach your child that ALL use of alcohol is BAD, and he/she eventually tries it, and likes it - then that chips away at the trust he/she's established.
If you teach your child that smoking pot will ruin his/her life, and he/she tries it and comes out fine - then that chips away at the trust he/she's established.
If you teach your child that the earth was literally created in 7 days, and a rudimentary understanding of science leads him to think otherwise - then that chips away at the trust he/she's established.

Last edited by anonymous; 07-19-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I very strongly agree with you. I was raised in a small town in the "Bible Belt", where it is common for parents to push religion on their children. I think that it can be positive, but it can also be very destructive.

I think one fundamental role of parenthood is to teach children to make good decisions on their own. I'm in my 20's, and I had friends who were raised in one of these "Iron-fisted for Jesus" households, with no room for questioning religion. I've found that while some of them did fine, many others eventually rejected Christianity, out of distrust.

In other words, I believe that you have to tailor your religion for "the real world". Orthodox straight-from-the-box religion probably works if you live your entire life in isolation, like the Amish. But the more you shelter children, the bigger the shock will be when they're faced with science, education, dirty jokes, alcohol, drugs, sex, violence, etc. - and when/if they see that reality doesn't match up with what their religion taught them, then problems could arise.

For example: If you teach your child that alcohol is BAD, and he eventually tries it, and likes it - then that chips away at the trust he's established.
If you teach your child that the earth was literally created in 7 days, and a rudimentary understanding of science leads him to think otherwise - then that chips away at the trust he's established.
Amen and amen! My grandpa used to warn my dad that my sis and I would go nuts when we left their home because of how sheltered we were...and we certainly did! My kids will benefit from a more balanced approach.

I do still love my mom and dad, and know that they were nothing if not sincere. But it's all about balance...

Old 04-23-2020, 06:17 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,007,589 times
Default Other religions

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
In response to another thread, maybe we can discuss why some feel that allowing other religions into ones life after becoming a Christian can be referred to as "whoring" around.

Hi Guy, no sir we Christians would never consider leaving the faith. We made a dedication to our God Jehovah, and that vow was to serve Him for an eternity.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Hi Guy, no sir we Christians would never consider leaving the faith. We made a dedication to our God Jehovah, and that vow was to serve Him for an eternity.
Talk about religious fanaticism. You responded to a thirteen year old post?

Old 04-23-2020, 08:35 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
a thirteen year old post?
When this thread was created I was a happy girl in Maryland on summer break looking forward to 1st grade...it is a really old thread!

With that said, Jesus was polite with other religions that he came across, he praised their good deeds, he didn't argue theology, and he didn't condemn them.

https://www.evangelicalsforsocialact...her-religions/

We can learn from each other.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:15 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
When this thread was created I was a happy girl in Maryland on summer break looking forward to 1st grade...it is a really old thread!

With that said, Jesus was polite with other religions that he came across, he praised their good deeds, he didn't argue theology, and he didn't condemn them.

https://www.evangelicalsforsocialact...her-religions/

We can learn from each other.
From your link:

What Jesus DIDN'T do:

– follow his own Jewish culture's prejudicial norms
– condemn or rebuke
– warn of judgment or hell
– argue theology, debate, quote the Scriptures, ask if people wanted to know the Gospel, or ask people to change anything.

Not so fast.

Speaking of the last days... 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

Jesus spoke about hell and judgement quite a bit. He ends Matt. 25 with this sobering statement:

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Here He urges repentance.

Matthew 4:17

17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

Old 04-24-2020, 04:40 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
From your link:

What Jesus DIDN'T do:

– follow his own Jewish culture's prejudicial norms
– condemn or rebuke
– warn of judgment or hell
– argue theology, debate, quote the Scriptures, ask if people wanted to know the Gospel, or ask people to change anything.

Not so fast.

Speaking of the last days... 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

Jesus spoke about hell and judgement quite a bit. He ends Matt. 25 with this sobering statement:

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Here He urges repentance.

Matthew 4:17

17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”
Weren't those all interactions with people in his own religion?

Also, the Pharisees were Jewish, just like Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity