Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:22 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

This is the only sin that the Bible says God will not forgive.
Please give me your ideas on what this could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is the only sin that the Bible says God will not forgive.
Please give me your ideas on what this could be.
Rejecting Him!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
When I taught Sunday School, this was a Hot Topic one Sunday. And the discussion did get HOT!!

The answer that I found that satisfied most was the Unpardonable Sin was to say that there was no God. The reasoning behind that was that if you don't believe that there is a God, then it would be impossible to ask for forgiveness, wouldn't it? And if you didn't repent and ask for forgiveness, there wouldn't be pardon.

The argument against this idea was that if there was no God, then there wouldn't be Sin. This line of thought didn't set well with many, but I can see their point.

Some behaviors might be wrong (or illegal) according to our laws, but would they be SIN? Few of us would classify things like illegal parking as sinful even though they break man's law.

Last edited by Padgett2; 07-20-2007 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
The unpardonable sin is the deliberate refusal to acknowledge God's power in Christ.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
In the Bible when Jesus referred to this sin, the religious leaders of the day were attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to the devil. So whatever implications you might get out of this...Some Bible scholars say that it was the hardness of heart that caused this sin that makes it unforgivable-they had placed themselves in a position to not ever receive forgiveness because their hearts were so hardened they couldn't repent or ask for forgiveness. ( I have also heard this regarding the unpardonable sin and I tend to agree, "If you're worried about having committed it, you haven't.!)

We have actually another thread dealing with this about a month ago if anyone wants to look at it.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The unpardonable sin is the deliberate refusal to acknowledge God's power in Christ.
Boom! ILNC wins the 1 Million $ prize for being dead on accurate on this one. You go girl! Everyone I talk to always gets it wrong, but you nailed this one. I did a 37 page study on this, and you just summed up in one sentance my whole paper!

Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Throughout my life, I heard NUMEROUS times that the only unforgivable or unpardonable sin was suicide . I know there are verses to back up that taking one's own life is definitely not a good thing in God's sight...I have in more recent years learned that the only unpardonable sin is rejecting "God's power in Christ" (had to quote ILNC, because I couldn't come up with a better way to put it She said it so perfectly!).

Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
But, it seems to me, if you repented, it would be pardoned, so that would disqualify it from being unpardonable.

I don't think anyone really knows what this sin is, frankly.

Anyhow, these answers don't satisfy my take on the language. Unpardonable means unpardonable - something that cannot be repented of - at least, to me.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But, it seems to me, if you repented, it would be pardoned, so that would disqualify it from being unpardonable.

I don't think anyone really knows what this sin is, frankly.

Anyhow, these answers don't satisfy my take on the language. Unpardonable means unpardonable - something that cannot be repented of - at least, to me.
I agree, that is why I bought into the suicide issue. If you kill yourself you can't very well repent, now can you?

Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
In the Bible when Jesus referred to this sin, the religious leaders of the day were attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to the devil. So whatever implications you might get out of this...Some Bible scholars say that it was the hardness of heart that caused this sin that makes it unforgivable-they had placed themselves in a position to not ever receive forgiveness because their hearts were so hardened they couldn't repent or ask for forgiveness. ( I have also heard this regarding the unpardonable sin and I tend to agree, "If you're worried about having committed it, you haven't.!)

We have actually another thread dealing with this about a month ago if anyone wants to look at it.
ILNC and KayKay are both correct. I also have heard that this is the unpardonable sin. And...I tend to agree: that it is attributing the works of the Holy Spirit as being from Satan. (they will readily acknowledge Satan's power, but not God's...) The Holy Spirit is a person of the Trinity, not just a "force" like electricity. Can you imagine how He feels, if after working some miracle, healing, etc, then having some idiot say it was by the power of Satan? 2000 years ago they accused Jesus of this. Not good....
It has NOTHING to do with suicide...but as long as people believe that I guess it would cut down on suicides to some extent...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity