Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM

9,902 posts, read 1,288,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You need to stop pretending that someone is arguing that Bible is God. Seriously.
Thank you Finn for posting that. I refuse to play his word games any longer. He doesn't want to see the truth though it has been pointed out over and over in this and at least one other thread. By the way, he did post that you were on his ignore list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,029,457 times
Quote:
You need to stop pretending that someone is arguing that Bible is God. Seriously.
Finn,

I don't think he is pretending. Here is the fundamentalist logic about the bible ....

If:

1. Jesus is the Word of God

2. The Bible is the Word of God

3. Jesus is God

Then in essence what is it that some people are actually saying who believe that the Bible is the Word of God?

It is the Bible that says Jesus is the Word.

And also the Bible that says "in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God."

But we know that the Bible was not in the beginning.

I think that some of us just get tired of the continual air of condemnation that oozes from those who think that we who do not believe just like you are false teachers headed for hell. It is a very arrogant attitude to have to deal with on a regular basis. The paranoia about false teachers is ruling some people's lives and keeping them from loving their brothers/sisters in Christ.

I hope that is clear.

Heartsong

Last edited by Heartsong; 02-14-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM

9,902 posts, read 1,288,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Finn,

I don't think he is pretending. Here is the fundamentalist logic about the bible ....

If:

3. Jesus is God

Then in essence what is it that some people are actually saying who believe that the Bible is the Word of God?

And also the Bible that says "in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God."

I think that some of us just get tired of the continual air of condemnation that oozes from those who think that we who do not believe just like you are false teachers headed for hell. It is a very arrogant attitude to have to deal with on a regular basis. The paranoia about false teachers is ruling some people's lives and keeping them from loving their brothers/sisters in Christ.

I hope that is clear.

Heartsong

Heart maybe this might help. This is just my little peabrain trying to help you understand where I am coming from.

1. I maintain that God's Word has been there from the beginning. Was it in the Bible's format we know today? No, of course not. Think about this for a minute. God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of life. This was God's Word. This was a rule He laid down. Of course it wasn't until some time later that the first five books were written, but all of God's rules were recorded. Maybe this isn't a very good example, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

2. In defense of myself and other Bible totin quotin christians, we are very passionate in our faith in God's Word. There are scriptures and examples in the Bible that show us we need to contend for the faith and defend the gospel. We are warned over and over to not add or take away from God's Word. We are told there will be false teachers and other gospels. When we argue or contend for the faith we are not trying to hurt you. We truly believe we are doing what Our Lord and Savior wants us to do.

Does this in any way help?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Heart maybe this might help. This is just my little peabrain trying to help you understand where I am coming from.

1. I maintain that God's Word has been there from the beginning. Was it in the Bible's format we know today? No, of course not. Think about this for a minute. God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of life. This was God's Word. This was a rule He laid down. Of course it wasn't until some time later that the first five books were written, but all of God's rules were recorded. Maybe this isn't a very good example, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

2. In defense of myself and other Bible totin quotin christians, we are very passionate in our faith in God's Word. There are scriptures and examples in the Bible that show us we need to contend for the faith and defend the gospel. We are warned over and over to not add or take away from God's Word. We are told there will be false teachers and other gospels. When we argue or contend for the faith we are not trying to hurt you. We truly believe we are doing what Our Lord and Savior wants us to do.

Does this in any way help?
I know you are sincere. Does your sincerity help. No, not really. I get the impression you spent no time thinking about the logic of my post. To be unteachable and unchangeable is a very precarious state for a person to be in if they are to grow in the knowledge of Christ. When I see people completely "locked in" with no intention of even considering anything that they do not already understand, I know that that is a person who cannot learn anything from God.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Thank you Finn for posting that. I refuse to play his word games any longer. He doesn't want to see the truth though it has been pointed out over and over in this and at least one other thread. By the way, he did post that you were on his ignore list.
That's cool. He used to be on my ignore list (my abyss) too, but I took almost everyone off the list a few months ago. The IL is a great invention, but it can make it tough to follow the threads.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Finn,

If:

3. Jesus is God

I hope that is clear.

Heartsong

It is clear you have a personal opinion of "fundamentalist logic" which is detached from the truth. I'd be surprised if you can provide even one post where someone told you that you are going to hell because you don't believe just like them.

No one is arguing that Bible is God, so why is that being brought back all the time as if someone argues it?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
It is clear you have a personal opinon which is detached from the truth.
Clear to you, perhaps. Not clear to me. You know what we are talking about, Finn. But now you are trying to play ignorant. That doesn't cut it. God knows all our thoughts.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
I know you are sincere. Does your sincerity help. No, not really. I get the impression you spent no time thinking about the logic of my post. To be unteachable and unchangeable is a very precarious state for a person to be in if they are to grow in the knowledge of Christ. When I see people completely "locked in" with no intention of even considering anything that they do not already understand, I know that that is a person who cannot learn anything from God.
This is true Heartsong, we would rather hold onto to the customs and traditions handed down through the ages, and passed off as "Thus saith the Lord", to give the customs and traditions some kind of authenticity.

I know i did whole heartedly for a short time, then a gradual process of letting go of them through the years, i am sure i still hold on to a few of them, the funny thing is, the only way i ever knew, was by God opening my eyes to see that i was, otherwise i would have remained in the same stupor.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,583,685 times
Ahhh..."religion..." release thy heavy yoke!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Clear to you, perhaps. Not clear to me.
That much is obvious. It's ok. Everyone, including you, is entitled to an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity