Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No, Lot offered his daughters to the gang because he was bound by the law of Hospitality when he offered the strangers protection under his roof.

Females were of little value compared to men at that time and it was far more important for Lot to protect the strangers. (angels)

I'm always amazed when people use this story and try to make it about homosexuals.

It just proves thet haven't read the whole Bible, don't know much about the historical context it was written in and have a stong prejudice against gay people.
This sounds like more new age philosophy trying to explain the Bible, which cannot be understood by such a carnal mind. The Bible declares that Sodom and Gomorrah were set on fire for giving themselves over to fornication and foriegn flesh; that's thus saith the Lord, not thus saith man.

Jude 1
[7] Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Sounds like new age philosophy to tickles men's ears. Meanwhile, the pure Word of God will not be compromised by such nonsense. Those wicked men of Sodom were burned up with fire and brimstone for their wickedness; they wanted to have sex with Lot's guests, who were angels of the Lord. Notice: if homosexuality is alright, then why didn't Lot offer himself to those men instead of his daughters? This proves, yet again, that homosexuality is wrong.
Thus, in your opinion: "Fornication with his daughters would be the lessor of two evils?"

Interesting, given the fact that neither were committed in the physical sense of the word.

Idolatry plays a big part within the thoughts of men.

"Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow the camel have led many astray."

Last edited by Jerwade; 02-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: spelling error!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
No, all it proves is Lot was obviously a coward and a very bad father for offering his daughters to be raped.
Wow. So, God spared a coward and his daughters while destroying Sodom and Gomorrah with fire and brimstone, not to mention Lot's wife? Umm. Should I believe sparrow or the justice of God? I'll take God's side. God declared that lot had a righteous soul.

2 Peter 2
[6] And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
[7] And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
[8] (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds; )

Lot was a righteous man in God's eyes. But, the new age teachers will try to paint him as the opposite.

Jude 1
[3] Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
[4] For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

[8] Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Wow. So, God spared a coward and his daughters while destroying Sodom and Gomorrah with fire and brimstone, not to mention Lot's wife? Umm. Should I believe sparrow or the justice of God? I'll take God's side. God declared that lot had a righteous soul.

2 Peter 2
[6] And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
[7] And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
[8] (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds; )

Lot was a righteous man in God's eyes. But, the new age teachers will try to paint him as the opposite.

Jude 1
[3] Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
[4] For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

[8] Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
It's a tough choice, but I'm glad to read that you chose God's take on this.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

I wonder, was Jesus Christ a "new age" teacher?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I wonder, was Jesus Christ a "new age" teacher?
No..but he was a tree hugger.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:

scgraham.. I am repsonding to what you said (which made no sense.)

This is your reasoning:

Quote:
Notice: if homosexuality is alright, then why didn't Lot offer himself to those men instead of his daughters? This proves, yet again, that homosexuality is wrong.
Quote:
You said that Lot offering his daughters (a HEINOUS thing) PROVES that homosexuality is wrong.

All I said was that NO. If a man offers his DAUGHTERS TO BE RAPED, then that proves NOTHING about homosexuality but it DOES say much about that father being a coward and about him being a very, very bad father.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM

860 posts, read 1,358,286 times
I really don't mean to be offensive; but don't you guys ever consider the possibility (or fact) that these are just stories? If considering this, would you accept that you are basing your moral principles on stories that account for things that didn't really happen. Even more so, these stories (rather true or false) happened THOUSANDS of years ago in a time where man was far more primitive. Alot of these passages seem to not be embedded in reality at all, let alone the reality of the modern world.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No..but he was a tree hugger.
"Preserving the forest; and every tree within it."

Old 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Growing up I was taught that homosexuality was the ultimate sin against God and He would completely and totally destroy America if this country were to ever legalize it. The rational part of me says thats hogwash and the liberal Christian part of me says God is love and we are under the age of Grace and not the age of wrath. However, there is a part of me that, having heard the message of fire and brimstone every Sunday for 22 years, is a bit fearful of it happening. I look at things like the collapsing economy and skyrocketing oil prices and wonder if that may be punishment from God (Things spiraled out of control after California legalized gay marriage in Summer of 2008 but became relatively placid after Prop 8 passed until now when things are collapsing once again). I wonder if $100 oil and the crashing stock market has anything to do with Obama's DOMA policy? Does God still punish nations as in the Old Testament or does he deal more on an individual level in this age?

The prophecies of the Bible target the United States as a nation that will meet her end in one hours time. America will come to her end for a number of reasons. The prophecy states that our Government will fail. And her leaders will be fighting with each other. It will be a sneak attack that will destroy her. Her buildings and her cities will burn. And Scripture shows us this will all occur around the time the Jewish people return to the land of Israel. There's a lot to this story. Yet I did not know anything about this until the God of the Bible revealed this to me when I was on vacation on my wifes uncles farm many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity