Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I am aware that Mormons and many others believe that we will have other opportunities to repent after death, and I cannot say that I am totally opposed to this view, but I have always felt that we have to repent during our original lifespan, and I would not feel at ease putting off repentance until after I died.
And you definitely shouldn't put off repentence until after you died. That really isn't what Mormonism is suggesting. Now is the time to repent of our sins. Now is the time to look to Jesus Christ for salvation. Now is the time to keep His commandments and remain faithful to Him. During the period of time between our death and our resurrection, we are not going to suddenly have a change of heart and be markedly different than we were while we were here on earth. If we were stubborn, rebellious, cynical and hateful during our lives, that's exactly how we're going to be once our spirit has left our body. We will be no more inclined to repent than than we were during our livetimes.

On the other hand, if we have truly sought after the truth here on Earth, but have died without fully understanding or being able to appreciate it when it was presented to us, if we have lived our lives in circumstances which made it difficult (or in some cases) impossible, to comprehend the reality of Jesus Christ's Atonement, all hope will not be lost at death. God wants to make sure each of His children has had the same opportunity to see clearly the road He wants them to choose. We all see through the glass darkly. For some, the glass is darker than it is for others, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 AM

467 posts, read 665,049 times
No, we have not been permanently saved. The work of heaven never ends. As Jesus demonstrated, life is Eternal. That means they are busy working in heaven also!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And you definitely shouldn't put off repentence until after you died. That really isn't what Mormonism is suggesting. Now is the time to repent of our sins. Now is the time to look to Jesus Christ for salvation. Now is the time to keep His commandments and remain faithful to Him. During the period of time between our death and our resurrection, we are not going to suddenly have a change of heart and be markedly different than we were while we were here on earth. If we were stubborn, rebellious, cynical and hateful during our lives, that's exactly how we're going to be once our spirit has left our body. We will be no more inclined to repent than than we were during our livetimes.

On the other hand, if we have truly sought after the truth here on Earth, but have died without fully understanding or being able to appreciate it when it was presented to us, if we have lived our lives in circumstances which made it difficult (or in some cases) impossible, to comprehend the reality of Jesus Christ's Atonement, all hope will not be lost at death. God wants to make sure each of His children has had the same opportunity to see clearly the road He wants them to choose. We all see through the glass darkly. For some, the glass is darker than it is for others, that's all.
Katzpur,
I appreciate your clarification of the Mormon position. I told on another thread that with President Obama claiming to be a Christian, but strongly approving abortion and gay rights, I will be voting for Romney who has views more in keeping with Christian principles. It is my understanding that this is the position of Billy and Franklin Graham also.
Best wishes as we seek to seek and do God's will,
Bob

Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
No, we have not been permanently saved. The work of heaven never ends. As Jesus demonstrated, life is Eternal. That means they are busy working in heaven also!
I do not believe in the doctrine of eternal security. The Bible says that if we commit a deliberate, fully premeditated sin after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there is no more hope for our salvation (see Heb. 10:26.). However, if we are faithful until death, we will receive the reward of eternal life (see Rev. 2:10, Matt. 10:22,). I agree that we will be busily working in heaven.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
trettep,
Read the words of Jesus in John3:[16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
[17] For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
[18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

He said further;[19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
[20] For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
[21] But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

He says that condemnation comes to those who hate the light. I believe that Judgement comes after this life, according to Heb. 9:[27] And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
I am aware that Mormons and many others believe that we will have other opportunities to repent after death, and I cannot say that I am totally opposed to this view, but I have always felt that we have to repent during our original lifespan, and I would not feel at ease putting off repentance until after I died.
Best wishes as we seek to know and do God's will,
Bob Prince
The only people that are being given the saving repentance in this lifetime are those that the Lord has approved to be His Chosen. And that is not by something that any of those people have done but it is by His doing 100 percent. Now if the work of saving someone is 100 percent God's doing then that means 0 percent of that doing is our part. So anyone that could ever not be saved is because they put forth the same effort of 0 percent that those that are saved have done.

This means that the wicked and the saved have both done 0 PERCENT to save themselves or to merit salvation.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The only people that are being given the saving repentance in this lifetime are those that the Lord has approved to be His Chosen.
How tragic that the Lord would choose to condemn someone who loves Him with all his heart. That runs so counter to the the way I see Him...

Luke 11:9-13 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
How tragic that the Lord would choose to condemn someone who loves Him with all his heart. That runs so counter to the the way I see Him...

Luke 11:9-13 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Katzpur,
I totally agree with you. Jeremiah 29:[13] And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Heb. 11:[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Katzpur, if they are truley in love with God, then God put that love there.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Katzpur, if they are truley in love with God, then God put that love there.
Why would He not want all of us to love Him?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Why would He not want all of us to love Him?
Do you believe He does? If so, then how can carnal man love God? Doesn't the Bible show that carnal man hates God?

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Can God save the carnal? If so, why must they do to be saved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity