Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Finn,I don't know if they "really" happened in history.
That's what I said. You do not believe in the Bibilical account of those events. You choose what you want to believe and what to dismiss. If something in the Bible is too inconvenient, you declare it as "symbolic" as if it never happened.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Satan has an appetite for the flesh, by God's design. If you're abiding in Christ, the prince of this world comes and has nothing on Him (as always) - so I contend that Satan was indeed created to destroy: the carnal nature.

When we're bothered by the enemy, that's an indication that we're not yet emptied of self.

1 Cor 5:5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's what I said. You do not believe in the Bibilical account of those events. You choose what you want to believe and what to dismiss. If something in the Bible is too inconvenient, you declare it as "symbolic" as if it never happened.
The Bible is indeed symbolic Finn. Do you believe that Jesus is really a literal door?

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
The Bible is indeed symbolic Finn. Do you believe that Jesus is really a literal door?
Are you comparing the desciption of a historical event to Jesus saying that He is the door?

Was Jesus born? Was He crusified? Or are those just other symbolic fairytales or something else?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Are you comparing the desciption of a historical event to Jesus saying that He is the door?

Was Jesus born? Was He crusified? Or are those just other symbolic fairytales or something else?
I'm glad you don't believe Jesus is a physical door. Me neither.

Was He a man who walked the streets of Galilee? I believe so.
I also believe He is a Spirit now, indwelling you and me. Alive. Today. Forever.

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Default Neither UR or people are the enemy, ... Satan is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
That's right, UR (Universal Reconciliation) is NOT THE ENEMY!! The enemy lies in wait to devour those who don't know Jesus Christ and CU's (Christian Universalists) know Jesus Christ! He is the only way to salvation in this life and the next, and it is misinformation and brainwashed stubbornness that keeps people from realizing this truth.

How do I know? Because anyone who has been here any length of time knows how I used to be as a fundamentalist ETer (eternal torment). JGHorton just started a thread that I could have started a year ago, no problem. But I've learned a truth, I'm not saying it's "the truth" but I am saying that between me and God it is my only truth. It's sooooo wonderful knowing the true nature of God, and the great plan He has for all of us.

What's my point? The point is that UR is not from the devil or a false "religion" or belief. There is as much support for it in the Bible as there is for ET or annihilation. So what does that tell you? Somebody is wrong. But who is it? Or are we all right in some ways?
Ilene, we are actually in agreement on many things ... such as, that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to salvation in this life and the next. Also, we agree that it is absolutely wonderful to know the true nature of God and His great plan (although we differ in our understanding of that plan). We also somewhat agree on the fact that none of us 'fully' understands God's mind, ways and plan ("Eye has not seen nor mind conceived the things God has planned for those who love Him.")

Our key difference is in whether or not people have any choice or accountability for responding to Jesus Christ in accordance with God's plan; which, by grace alone, results in rebirth and eternal life with God.

The danger and enemy (Satan) gets between people and God's plan in Jesus Christ! While UR is certainly not Satan, it does create a false sense of security in the minds of those who, by your own admission, have "equal Bible-based support for ET or anihlation (your phrase, not mine --- my problem is that the phrase is kind of like 'pro-death' -- How about "pro-grace" or "pro-literal interpretation of the Bible').

While we can agree to disagree on many theological points, there are certain irreducible truths that make ALL the difference in this world and the next. One of those is the essential need to exercise our free-will choice to repent of sin and turn to Jesus Christ for Salvation and Life.

What I do not understand is why the UR folks are so anxious to block people from even considering the possibility of what even they recognize as having 'equal Bible-based support' (In your words, ET and anihlation).

Knowing God loves us is wonderful and comforting, but, according to most of the NT, that is NOT the path to eternal salvation and life. And even the UR folks would have to acknowledge that, by their own philosophy, this principle has no bearing one way or the other, on one's eternal life with God(?). The 'guilt and anguish' used by some to characterize Christians, simply isn't there! -- Christians are the one's who are "free indeed."

Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I have read the red letter words of the Bible, and Jesus came in peace and love, not condemnation and arrogance. I love you too Robin, more than you could ever know but we differ greatly in what we believe. Satan has nothing to do with UR, that's just an uninformed opinion that just is not true. I'm not saying there isn't a great commission, it's just that the Word of God has been spread and either people reject it or accept it, we have no control over that.

Maybe we are actually living in the "end times", who knows for sure but I know for a fact from reading the red letters of the Bible that Jesus came to love and to save, not to destroy and condemn. That's what I base my belief on, what Jesus stood for and still stands for today. Love God and each other, there's nothing greater than the power of LOVE.
Well said

Old 03-16-2011, 01:12 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
"Those who died in the Red Sea" I believe refers to the flesh of man, which cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. All mankind leaves the fallen adamic nature when passing from this life. That adamic nature will be "left behind" in the Red Sea of death itself. Egypt, or bondage, or flesh, is that which is left behind. The spirit of man, called the worm, or Israel, is what will pass through and reach the promised land. Aisi..!

Blessings,
brian
yes

Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
UR is another gospel.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
10And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be... to all people.

sparrow, you haven't been studying to show thyself approved. Ancient manuscripts include the asterik for that particular verse.

* = all people really means just 15% of people, the rest are going to.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity