Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times

Advertisements

Can we please have our Christian thread back???

Almost every other thread and post on the Christian forum gets hijacked by the universalist contingency and skewed into a thread about universalism.

Okay folks, we get it! ... you believe everyone will be saved, but, why is that message so 'urgent'. Are you really concerned about what you characterize as the 'guilt shadow' resting over Christian fundamentalists ---or do you have another agenda? (It seems that your entire message is focused on 'lulling people into a false sense of security')

To you Bible-believing Christians out there, I am no longer going to engage with the universalists on this matter --- and encourage you to do likewise. --- I think the only way we can make them go away is to ignore them (although, admittedly, this post dives into the matter ... one last time). ---

However, my motive here is not to further discuss universalism. Frankly, I am sick to death of the harrangue no longer interested in even talking about universalism --- I simply want to be able to engage in Christian dialog with other Christians ... without getting hijacked and side-tracked by universalists all the time!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times

Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Matt 11:28.

Do you understand that there are posters from various denominations posting on here too, that see and believe the scriptures different to you as well as the universalists.But what you are really saying is universalists are not christians because although their faith is in his grace, but they are in error because they believe the Love of God is more powerful than the will of man(whether it's free or not), that the Love of God cannot do anything unless it's first believed in,when infact it's the Love of God that causes us to believe and repent, all this is true whether universalism is or is not of God.

It's this simple message of glad tidings the Love of God that got hijacked and the message changed and became a yoke around the neck of all who believed the counterfeit message, this is why for as far back as we know we have walked in defeat because the message is one of defeat.

The good news itself is life changing,the life change was freedom to serve God without fear Luke 1:74, not a change for the worst where we struggle with sin, the devil and failure, due to fear.

This is not a universalist message, it's the foundation of those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Almost every other thread and post on the Christian forum gets hijacked by the universalist contingency and skewed into a thread about universalism.

Okay folks, we get it! ... you believe everyone will be saved, but, why is that message so 'urgent'. Are you really concerned about what you characterize as the 'guilt shadow' resting over Christian fundamentalists ---or do you have another agenda? (It seems that your entire message is focused on 'lulling people into a false sense of security')

To you Bible-believing Christians out there, I am no longer going to engage with the universalists on this matter --- and encourage you to do likewise. --- I think the only way we can make them go away is to ignore them (although, admittedly, this post dives into the matter ... one last time). ---

However, my motive here is not to further discuss universalism. Frankly, I am sick to death of the harrangue no longer interested in even talking about universalism --- I simply want to be able to engage in Christian dialog with other Christians ... without getting hijacked and side-tracked by universalists all the time!
Amen.... totally agree with you !!
The Christian's are not to entertain false teachings nor should they encourage the teacher's of heresies by debating with them all the time.... especially the same individuals over and over again !!
Share the truth of God as He leads you and move on !!
We are not encouraged nor here to be their Holy Spirit and try to change them.... amen, that is God's business, let Him deal with them !!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen.... totally agree with you !!
The Christian's are not to entertain false teachings nor should they encourage the teacher's of heresies by debating with them all the time.... especially the same individuals over and over again !!
Share the truth of God as He leads you and move on !!
We are not encouraged nor here to be their Holy Spirit and try to change them.... amen, that is God's business, let Him deal with them !!
...I'm totally in agreement with this.....

....what took you so long...?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
Quote:

jghorton, you are free to start a topic on whatever you want here.

The perceived "highjacking" you speak of is just that - perceived.

The fact of the matter is any topic to do with salvation is warranted and justified to be discussed from all sides of the issue, and that includes the concept that all just might be saved.

Here is a current tally of some of the busier/related threads in this group:

"Christians Live more Righteously" - started by Pleroo (atheist/agnostic)
"Universalism was Not the predominant belief of the Early Church. Eternal "Punishment for the wicked was!" - by Mike555 (ETer)
"Universalism is not of God - it has failed - Jesus" - by twin.spin (ETer)
"Universalist Misunderstanding of the Restoration of All Things" - by Mike555 (ETer)

If you don't want to talk about Universalism, perhaps people who don't believe in it should stop bringing the topic up!

Again I say, any topic that has to do with salvation will naturally resolve into pro/con discussion for UR or not. This simply happens because the truth is allowed to be discussed here. Other forums censor discussion so only 1 point of view can be promoted.

So if you want to discuss something else, go start topics on something else: church picnics, feeding the poor, helping people in Japan, how we should be loving our neighbor, whatever you want. Its a free forum.

But if you try to say the good news is that .5% of people will be saved and 99.5% won't be saved (I just saw a youtube video that used those numbers), then naturally there is going to be some disagreement.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Matt 11:28.

Do you understand that there are posters from various denominations posting on here too, that see and believe the scriptures different to you as well as the universalists.But what you are really saying is universalists are not christians because although their faith is in his grace, but they are in error because they believe the Love of God is more powerful than the will of man(whether it's free or not), that the Love of God cannot do anything unless it's first believed in,when infact it's the Love of God that causes us to believe and repent, all this is true whether universalism is or is not of God.

It's this simple message of glad tidings the Love of God that got hijacked and the message changed and became a yoke around the neck of all who believed the counterfeit message, this is why for as far back as we know we have walked in defeat because the message is one of defeat.

The good news itself is life changing,the life change was freedom to serve God without fear Luke 1:74, not a change for the worst where we struggle with sin, the devil and failure, due to fear.

This is not a universalist message, it's the foundation of those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
Indeed "universalist" is a bad label - almost like a swear word. For that reason I don't like the label because it gives people an easy excuse to dismiss you. People think 'oh he's a "universalist" - don't even bother listening to them they will lead you astray' without even turning their brain on.

What we believe in is the victorious gospel of Christ. We are true followers of Christ: we believe the point is to follow His commands: love God, love your neighbor, love your enemy (though granted we are not always very good at it - God willing Christ is working in us and making us better at this).

We truly believe Christ accomplished His mission: to save all people and take away all sin. We do not see the full effect of this yet, but it is bound to happen because scripture proclaims it. We believe Christ will have the utmost victory - hades and death will have no victory. Christ will make all alive.

How can you say we are not Christian?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:

Seems like every single Christian message board I've frequented over the years, there is a dispute over one particular doctrine (doesn't matter which one, take your pick) that gets everyone up in arms and inevitably people from one side of the discussion begin calling for the other side to be banned into the netherlands.

Why is that? I have a theory that usually it's the side that finds their position most difficult to defend and find the arguments from the other side threatening, that wants the other side hushed. Just saying.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Seems like every single Christian message board I've frequented over the years, there is a dispute over one particular doctrine (doesn't matter which one, take your pick) that gets everyone up in arms and inevitably people from one side of the discussion begin calling for the other side to be banned into the netherlands.

Why is that? I have a theory that usually it's the side that finds their position most difficult to defend and find the arguments from the other side threatening, that wants the other side hushed. Just saying.
Indeed!

Some Christian boards don't let you talk about free will.
Some don't let you talk about the trinity.
Some don't let you talk about preterism.
Some fight about Calvinism/Arminianism.
Some fight about pre/post tribulation.
Some fight about water baptism or other rituals.
etc. etc. etc.

But almost all of them ban the idea that Christ is 100% victorious and truly came to save all people. Why is that?

Thank God city-data provides an open forum for Christians to discuss all the issues. The truth cannot be censored forever because the truth ultimately prevails.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Yes Indeed

The accusation against those who believe in UR is “Yet you have filled Jerusalem(the church) with your teaching. Acts 5:28

And they want to supress it by threats of eternal torment, which even the Sanhedrin didn't go as far to say

They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. Acts 5:40

You who believe in eternal torment, don't you find it odd that the Apostles were not threatened with eternal torment by those who thought they were in error for believing Jesus Christ the Messiah was the Savior of all men ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity