Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 PM

74 posts, read 78,756 times

Advertisements

As this season of Easter approaches, I am concerned about the way we Christians observe this, one of the most important holidays of the Christian faith. I am dismayed to note how we use pagan rituals to observe the event which ranges from looking for Easter eggs to promoting bunnies and even the sale of them, which doesn't help these animals one bit to dressing up in our finest clothes. Is this what Easter really is all about; I am afraid not. The celebration of this Christian holiday should focus completely on the reason why it is celebrated and that is the resurrection of Jesus Christ and what that fact means to the world. Any celebration or observance of this event that does not focus on this fact is a slap in the face to the One who died for the sins of the world so we sinners could obtain eternal life by believing on Him and Him alone for our salvation.

To the churches and the White House even when occupied by a born again believing Christian, what glory does Jesus Christ get when we look for Easter eggs rather than for Him on this day. Easter egg hunts must stop and stop now by churches and be replaced with games that center on trying to find the risen Lord with points or candy given for each time a clue is found that leads toward finding Him. Instead of buying bunnies for Easter, buy statutes of Jesus saying He is Risen. Give out stories of the resurrection message--anything but this sacrilegious observance of His resurrection victory.

The same can apply to Christmas. As I have said in previous messages on the subject, we would not celebrate our birthday the way we celebrate His. What person in his right mind in throwing a birthday party would tell the people invited to bring presents for each other rather than the one for whom the celebration is being held. What person in his right mind today would have pictures just of a baby rather than current pictures of the one for whom the celebration is given? It is absolutely preposterous and I believe Jesus would be the first one to say it to all of us. And also what type of decorations would you see in the stores honoring your birthday, pictures and items totally unrelated to you but everything else. When a queen is crowned in England what are the items sold for this observance--items with her picture and the event itself.

When God says what man does is folly compared to His wisdom, this type of situation is a classic example.

I challenge Christians and their churches everywhere to start to focus on who the Head of their Church really is and pay Him total homage when we celebrate holidays honoring events in His life.

Remember when we do as we are now doing during these Christian holidays we honor the deceiver, satan, who wishes to steal any glory to God on whatever occasion and give it to himself. Choose today whom you will serve when you celebrate these holidays--Jesus or satan. the choice is yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
I remembered many years ago that Good Friday had no special service for Catholics. There was the stations of the cross from the Holy Land and not much else. There was the fast of no meat and the personal entrance to the church for those interested if they were.

Actually on an entertainment basis the commemoration of the death of Jesus was less important and considered as somehow hard to value for the history of it's existence. The resurrection did happen for sure on the other hand. We all would the death personally, and then resurrection was the dogmatid acceptance of the miracle of the eternal life, the final miracle of Jesus Christ. Easter this way was the unique celebration of God the certain other, as we all can be fooled by other people living in a so-called community and how it is supposed to be governed.

Can a dictator organize that sort of thing; or a corporate leader for his benevolent notions?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:59 PM

144 posts, read 149,298 times
Why not Celebrate Passover, he is our Passover Lamb.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:21 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
Remember when we do as we are now doing during these Christian holidays we honor the deceiver, satan, who wishes to steal any glory to God on whatever occasion and give it to himself.
This is a preposterous statement. We can ONLY honor who we INTEND to honor, period!
Quote:
Choose today whom you will serve when you celebrate these holidays--Jesus or satan. the choice is yours.
It is ALWAYS our choice and it is that CHOICE . . . NOT some specific "things" decided by Editorialist or anyone else . . . that determines WHO we serve and honor.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Easter egg hunts must stop and stop now by churches and be replaced with games that center on trying to find the risen Lord with points or candy given for each time a clue is found that leads toward finding Him. Instead of buying bunnies for Easter, buy statutes of Jesus saying He is Risen.
Let's throw out buying bunnies and eating eggs.
And replace them with speaking statutes, while filling them full of candy.

Now, there's an idea!

Last edited by Jerwade; 04-02-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Let's throw out buying bunnies and eating eggs.
And replace them with statutes, while filling them full of candy.

Now, there's an idea!
Statutes or statues? I'm kind of confused by this reference.

I confess, I like much of the Easter decor - all the pretty colors and the green grass and spring flowers and sweet little bunnies and lambs and chickadees. As a child I was always delighted with receiving my Easter basket. My best memories of my mother are connected to Easter time, how she'd make us a coconut cake with some of the coconut dyed green with little jelly eggs and a bunny on top. It was all innocent IMO. I wish, I'd not been taught the horrific/bad images about God though. It took me a long time to get healed from the false images.

YouTube - Happy Easter :+: Here Comes Peter Cottontail

Last edited by Heartsong; 04-02-2011 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: color

Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Statutes or statues? I'm kind of confused by this reference.
I thought it was an enactment of a law through church legislation.
Otherwise, would have corrected the spelling error?

(But I did darken the color of your post, it was sorta hard to read)

Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I thought it was an enactment of a law through church legislation.
Otherwise, would have corrected the spelling error?
Ahhh,,, could be.
(But I did darken the color of your post, it was sorta hard to read)
Yes, it was very pale. I have changed it -- looks more like Easter grass now.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Just like Christmas and thanksgiving and Easter the secular world does celebrate the Holidays at the same time with different ideas that substitute Jesus for some strange ideas and believer celebrate with the customs of the Nation and some people rise up and condemn the believers of Jesus as pagan blasphemers and agree their stand for Jesus and His Worship ....... Well I say let it go let the party happen for there are a many Nations who have no Christmas, Easter or Thanksgiving and believer celebrate in hiding and though nations are the goat nation who reject Jesus and His spirit.....For a baby is baptized or dedicated is blessed By God even as these babies have not confess Christ in their lives , just as these nations who give the Holiday were Jesus is professed will be Blessed ........

Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
As this season of Easter approaches, I am concerned about the way we Christians observe this, one of the most important holidays of the Christian faith. I am dismayed to note how we use pagan rituals to observe the event which ranges from looking for Easter eggs to promoting bunnies and even the sale of them, which doesn't help these animals one bit to dressing up in our finest clothes. Is this what Easter really is all about; I am afraid not. The celebration of this Christian holiday should focus completely on the reason why it is celebrated and that is the resurrection of Jesus Christ and what that fact means to the world. Any celebration or observance of this event that does not focus on this fact is a slap in the face to the One who died for the sins of the world so we sinners could obtain eternal life by believing on Him and Him alone for our salvation.

To the churches and the White House even when occupied by a born again believing Christian, what glory does Jesus Christ get when we look for Easter eggs rather than for Him on this day. Easter egg hunts must stop and stop now by churches and be replaced with games that center on trying to find the risen Lord with points or candy given for each time a clue is found that leads toward finding Him. Instead of buying bunnies for Easter, buy statutes of Jesus saying He is Risen. Give out stories of the resurrection message--anything but this sacrilegious observance of His resurrection victory.

The same can apply to Christmas. As I have said in previous messages on the subject, we would not celebrate our birthday the way we celebrate His. What person in his right mind in throwing a birthday party would tell the people invited to bring presents for each other rather than the one for whom the celebration is being held. What person in his right mind today would have pictures just of a baby rather than current pictures of the one for whom the celebration is given? It is absolutely preposterous and I believe Jesus would be the first one to say it to all of us. And also what type of decorations would you see in the stores honoring your birthday, pictures and items totally unrelated to you but everything else. When a queen is crowned in England what are the items sold for this observance--items with her picture and the event itself.

When God says what man does is folly compared to His wisdom, this type of situation is a classic example.

I challenge Christians and their churches everywhere to start to focus on who the Head of their Church really is and pay Him total homage when we celebrate holidays honoring events in His life.

Remember when we do as we are now doing during these Christian holidays we honor the deceiver, satan, who wishes to steal any glory to God on whatever occasion and give it to himself. Choose today whom you will serve when you celebrate these holidays--Jesus or satan. the choice is yours.
Since celebrating holidays aren't a necessity for entering into heaven, why not celebrate them in the way that you want instead of the way everyone else wants. You can do it in the privacy of your own home if it helps. Personally, I like "pagan" holidays cause I get to spend time with people I care about even if they don't believe the same way that I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity