Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,985,256 times

Advertisements

The apostle for the nations, Paul wrote:

1 Corinthians 15:1-3 Now I am making known to you, brethren, the evangel which I bring to you, which
also you accepted, in which also you stand, (2) through which also you are saved, if you are retaining
what I said in bringing the evangel to you, outside and except you believe feignedly." (3) For I give over
to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures,

It is salvific to believe Christ died for the sins of all mankind for if you believe He died for all mankind's sins then you automatically believe your sins are included as well.

But notice Paul did not put a 'Y' in front of "our."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
How does he say that we are saved?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,699 times
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:2

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Ephesians 2:8

Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

1 Corinthians 15:1-3 Now I am making known to you, brethren, the evangel which I bring to you, which
also you accepted, in which also you stand, (2) through which also you are saved, if you are retaining
what I said in bringing the evangel to you, outside and except you believe feignedly
." (3) For I give over
to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures,

It is salvific to believe Christ died for the sins of all mankind for if you believe He died for all mankind's sins then you automatically believe your sins are included as well.

Quote:
How does he say that we are saved?
I put it in red above.

Believers are being saved through faith.
The rest of mankind come later.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM

398 posts, read 546,058 times
Yeah...well....that doesn't really help much now does it?

Paul says "according to the scriptures" during a time when the Christian Scriptures were still in flux and he had no personal understanding of Jewish scriptures. Later people use Paul to validate their scriptures and the thing just goes in a self-affirming circle. Excuse me but how did Paul know WHAT scriptures said? Even among Jewish scholars only very few had spent enough time reflecting on the few written documents that were available. Really makes me wonder.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
Yeah...well....that doesn't really help much now does it?

Paul says "according to the scriptures" during a time when the Christian Scriptures were still in flux and he had no personal understanding of Jewish scriptures. Later people use Paul to validate their scriptures and the thing just goes in a self-affirming circle. Excuse me but how did Paul know WHAT scriptures said? Even among Jewish scholars only very few had spent enough time reflecting on the few written documents that were available. Really makes me wonder.
Glad2, Paul was a Pharisee and knew the Scriptures better than most people. The Greek word behind "according" as "in harmony with." And the Scriptures Paul was talking about that Christ's death was in harmony with the Scriptures were the Old Testament Scriptures. Now you say something derogatory.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM

398 posts, read 546,058 times
Quote:
Glad2, Paul was a Pharisee and knew the Scriptures better than most people. The Greek word behind "according" as "in harmony with." And the Scriptures Paul was talking about that Christ's death was in harmony with the Scriptures were the Old Testament Scriptures. Now you say something derogatory.
Do you actually READ the Bible? Do you know what position a "pharisee" is? He's a "manager" thats all. They were generally opposed by the Sadducees who tended to represent the entrenched lineage of priests. The Pharisees wanted what we would call today a more "secular"----a more community oriented---take on Jewish Law. Thats why the Pharisees could not judge Jesus by themselves it had to be done in conjunction with the Priest class who knew something about the Law.

Priests would study scripture and damn few of them. If Paul thought that what was happening or had happened was "in harmony with" the Scriptures it was possibly because he may have heard people talking about things to come and drew conclusions for himself about what was "in harmony". In various Religions there is a lot of "stealing" bits that support a position. If Paul were a modern musician he would probably be whats called a "pirate" now...stealing ideas or melodies and pawing them off as his own. Happens all the time.

Now, go pull out Mark and read the part about the Wise Men coming to worship Jesus and stopping at Herod's place first. After the Kings go, Herod doesn't call for a Pharisee to find out about the king in the prophecies, now does he? Ever wonder why? Probably not.

Remember when Jesus was dragged before the Jewish Council? Caiphas was in charge, right? Happen to remember his position?

"Chief High Priest".

Last edited by Glad2bHere!; 12-13-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,726,352 times
Quote:

what I said in bringing the evangel to you, outside and except you believe feignedly." (3) For I give over

RESPONSE:

Since the Old Testament does not say that Jesus died for our sins and the New Testament hadn't been written yet when Paul wrote Corinthians, which "according to the scriptures" was Paul talking about?

Actually, didn't the "atonement" reason for Christ's execution originate with Paul? It was embarassing to admit that the leader of your sect was executed by the Romans for the crime of insurrection as Jesus was.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,726,352 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Aside from Paul's claim, what evidence do you have that Paul was a Pharisee. He became an agent of the high priest (a Saducee) and was a Roman citizen. What does that suggest?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Since the Old Testament does not say that Jesus died for our sins and the New Testament hadn't been written yet when Paul wrote Corinthians, which "according to the scriptures" was Paul talking about?
Isaiah 53, especially verse 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Actually, didn't the "atonement" reason for Christ's execution originate with Paul? It was embarassing to admit that the leader of your sect was executed by the Romans for the crime of insurrection as Jesus was.
The Apostle John (who walked with Jesus) believed it.

1 John 4:10

10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

The Apostle Peter (who walked with Jesus) believed it.

Acts 2:38

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity