Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 04:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

God is Good. Amen!

The "fires" spoken of in the Bible are always references to either "hell" or God Himself. Our God is a consuming FIRE. Jesus told His disciples that they would be salted with FIRE, and Paul tells us similarily that men will pass through the FIRE, but the soul will be saved. The Spirit of God is a fire, and the "tongues of fire" that we on the believers in Acts 2 are also an indication of how God's Anointing Himself is FIRE.

The pagans believed in a place they called hell. The Jews did not. Why didn't Jesus tell the Jews to learn about hell from the pagans? Answer: because the hell of the pagans has nothing to do with Biblical teachings!

When Jesus spoke of hell, the original word was translated as "hell" because it was the only word available at the time. The apostles and believers in the book of Acts did not teach "hell." They did not warn unbelievers of going to hell, only of judgment. Paul did not write about hell.

Much doctrine within Christianity today is built upon the sands of "hellfire and brimstone." Men are building upon the teachings of tradition, about imaginations of things they have never seen or heard! They are teaching things that the Bible does not.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:38 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

God is Good. Amen!

The "fires" spoken of in the Bible are always references to either "hell" or God Himself. Our God is a consuming FIRE. Jesus told His disciples that they would be salted with FIRE, and Paul tells us similarily that men will pass through the FIRE, but the soul will be saved. The Spirit of God is a fire, and the "tongues of fire" that we on the believers in Acts 2 are also an indication of how God's Anointing Himself is FIRE.

The pagans believed in a place they called hell. The Jews did not. Why didn't Jesus tell the Jews to learn about hell from the pagans? Answer: because the hell of the pagans has nothing to do with Biblical teachings!

When Jesus spoke of hell, the original word was translated as "hell" because it was the only word available at the time. The apostles and believers in the book of Acts did not teach "hell." They did not warn unbelievers of going to hell, only of judgment. Paul did not write about hell.

Much doctrine within Christianity today is built upon the sands of "hellfire and brimstone." Men are building upon the teachings of tradition, about imaginations of things they have never seen or heard! They are teaching things that the Bible does not.

Blessings,
brian
Yes, God is Good. Amen!

A snippet from
THE ORIGIN AND HISTORY OF THE DOCTRINE OF ENDLESS PUNISHMENT
"This little work is written for the purpose of furnishing a sketch of the argument by which it is shown that the doctrine of Endless Punishment is not of divine origin, but traceable directly to a heathen source."

The Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment

Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Yes, God is Good. Amen!

A snippet from
"This little work is written for the purpose of furnishing a sketch of the argument by which it is shown that the doctrine of Endless Punishment is not of divine origin, but traceable directly to a heathen source."

The Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment
Hi brother rodger!

Indeed. The preachings today, filled with stories of flames and torments and agonies, are nothing more than fabrications of the natural mind, imagining some place far off that can only be known when we die. -And yet they suppose to know about it like they do the backs of their own hands!!

And many a poor soul is frightened into submission to preachers who are nothing more than hirelings!

Just read this (again) this morning, and definitely worth sharing with anyone out there in Internet-land who might be feeling down, rejected and hated by God:

"Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received from the LORD’s hand double for all her sins". Isaiah 40:1-2

Praise God for His unspeakable gift!!

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-17-2011, 06:14 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
God is Good. Amen!

Blessings,
brian
Act_2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Hi brother rodger!

Indeed. The preachings today, filled with stories of flames and torments and agonies, are nothing more than fabrications of the natural mind, imagining some place far off that can only be known when we die. -And yet they suppose to know about it like they do the backs of their own hands!!

And many a poor soul is frightened into submission to preachers who are nothing more than hirelings!

Just read this (again) this morning, and definitely worth sharing with anyone out there in Internet-land who might be feeling down, rejected and hated by God:

"Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received from the LORD’s hand double for all her sins". Isaiah 40:1-2

Praise God for His unspeakable gift!!

Blessings,
brian
Are you blind or just illiterate?...He is speaking to Jerusalem, to His people, who were Israelites...He is not speaking to or about the whole world in this verse...

Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 AM

Default The inconsistencies of Calvinism!

Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow
This coming from someone who believes God created some people solely
for the purpose of eternally tormenting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965
I'm sorry...What did you say...I wasn't listening?....

Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow
Like a child covering their ears saying, "la la la." You just don't want to hear it because it's the truth about calvinism. The doctrine of calvinism boils down to what I said above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A snippet from 125 NUTS FOR CALVINISTS TO CRACK – C.R. Bierbower
(another book in my hard copy UR library)

“Although a Calvinist myself for more than thirty years, the scriptures declaring God’s infinite love, and the plain teachings of Jesus my Lord on the subject of love, mercy and truth, finally sank my theological ship.

This left me searching for the truth as it is in Jesus. Finally I was convinced by the overwhelming number of Scriptures that our great God and Heavenly Father truly does, without partiality, love the whole world, and He will in His own time and in His own way finally reconcile all men unto Himself.

Arminianism and Calvinism both represent each other as the method for God’s work in salvation, and both vigorously reject the final reconciliation of all men. It is my purpose in this book to point out to my Calvinistic brethren the inconsistency of their interpretation of Scripture.”

And I must say, that IMO, C.R. does a very good job of pointing out the inconsistencies of Calvinism!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Act_2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Quote:
Are you blind or just illiterate?...He is speaking to Jerusalem, to His people, who were Israelites...He is not speaking to or about the whole world in this verse...
"Hell" in the verse you quoted, is the grave. No verse in Acts can be found where believers are telling other people to watch out for flames after this life. Nowhere.

Jerusalem is a spiritual word. It has nothing to do with a physical place, and has nothing to do with physical geneologies or religious upbringing.

"Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of heaven."

Blessings to you, Richard,
brian

Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Lightbulb God will bring comfort to everyone in due time

Quote:
God will bring comfort to everyone in due time.

We know this because God will have (wants if you like) all men to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4)
It is God’s “pleasure” that all mankind be saved.
And “God is operating all in accord with the counsel of His will” (Ephesians 1:11).

Change it to read “in accord with the counsel of what He wants if you like.
Because God says
"My counsel shall stand.
I will do all my pleasure
(the saving of all mankind is part of the pleasure that God wants)
Yea I have spoken it.
I will also bring it to pass.
I have purposed it.
I will also do it."
Isaiah 46:10,11

Job 23:13 “But he stands alone, and who can oppose Him?
He does whatever he pleases.
(the saving of all mankind is part of what He wants that pleases Him).

Isaiah 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
(the saving of all mankind is part of all of which God desires or wants)

So we see God does all His pleasure, He does whatever He pleases, and His word accomplishes that which He desires.
His pleasure, that which He desires and pleases Him is what He wants.

His will = What He wants
What does He want?
THE SALVATION OF ALL MANKIND
Why will it happen?
Because God Himself will see to it that it gets done.

Any cooperation towards our salvation is the result, not the cause of God laying hold on us by His saving grace and causing Jesus to be "choice" in our heart, just like it was in the case of Lydia and Saul of Tarsus.

The opinions of exactly how God will achieve universal salvation may differ from UR to UR just like, as Bright Hope pointed out, the opinions of ETers also vary from person to person about what the Bible teaches about salvation.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
"Hell" in the verse you quoted, is the grave. No verse in Acts can be found where believers are telling other people to watch out for flames after this life. Nowhere.

Jerusalem is a spiritual word. It has nothing to do with a physical place, and has nothing to do with physical geneologies or religious upbringing.

"Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of heaven."

Blessings to you, Richard,
brian
His people are the Israelites...And that is who He is speaking to...Not everyone in the whole world...Prove that Jerusalem is a spiritual word in this context...Where within the Scriptures is the key or even implication that that is a 'spiritual' word?...You cannot take something that is meant for one group of people and apply it broadly...to all peoples...Of course flesh and blood cannot enter the Kingdom Of Heaven for it is an ethereal place, it is spiritual...However, that is not what that verse was talking about...

Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
God will bring comfort to everyone in due time.

We know this because God will have (wants if you like) all men to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4)
It is God’s “pleasure” that all mankind be saved.
And “God is operating all in accord with the counsel of His will” (Ephesians 1:11).

Change it to read “in accord with the counsel of what He wants if you like.
Because God says
"My counsel shall stand.
I will do all my pleasure
(the saving of all mankind is part of the pleasure that God wants)
Yea I have spoken it.
I will also bring it to pass.
I have purposed it.
I will also do it."
Isaiah 46:10,11

Job 23:13 “But he stands alone, and who can oppose Him?
He does whatever he pleases.
(the saving of all mankind is part of what He wants that pleases Him).

Isaiah 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
(the saving of all mankind is part of all of which God desires or wants)

So we see God does all His pleasure, He does whatever He pleases, and His word accomplishes that which He desires.
His pleasure, that which He desires and pleases Him is what He wants.

His will = What He wants
What does He want?
THE SALVATION OF ALL MANKIND
Why will it happen?
Because God Himself will see to it that it gets done.

Any cooperation towards our salvation is the result, not the cause of God laying hold on us by His saving grace and causing Jesus to be "choice" in our heart, just like it was in the case of Lydia and Saul of Tarsus.

The opinions of exactly how God will achieve universal salvation may differ from UR to UR just like, as Bright Hope pointed out, the opinions of ETers also vary from person to person about what the Bible teaches about salvation.
Salvation cannot occur after death...That is the whole point in the urgencey of believing in this lifetime...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity