Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,303 times

Advertisements

It's obvious that God knew what would happen to Jesus Christ. And being that it was prophesied that He would be crucified, the Jews merely fulfilled God's own prophesies.

However, we can understand a little bit about Jewish theology and thinking 2,000 years ago, (and more importantly for Christians, a little bit about human nature) by reading this little bit in Deuteronomy 13:

Quote:
If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee. [SIZE=2](v. 1-5) [/SIZE]
So from this passage, we can see that Jews were told to not believe anyone doing signs and wonders and telling them to serve a God they didn't know. Jesus told the people several times that their god was the devil, and that He was serving the True God. Therefore, they considered Him to be one that should be put to death.

Of course, some people were able to discern what is righteous from what is unrighteous, and therefore they believed in Him. For example, healing on the Sabbath. The Law said not to do it, but He did it. So then you have a dilemma:

Do I believe in what is righteous (healing someone, no matter what day it is, simply because it is the right thing to do), or do I hold to the Letter?

The Spirit vs. the Letter. The letter may be righteous, but the Spirit trumps the letter.

Conclusion: Religion can be useful to make people blind, but also to help them see (if they can discern righteousness).

Any thoughts?

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,015 times
The Jews had Jesus crucified because Jesus revealed them for what and who they truly were. Also, because Jesus' claims about Himself were the worst sort of blasphemy a person could utter in those days-- according to the Jewish establishment.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times
If you knew anything regarding Jewish and Roman history...you would know that the Jews didn't have one iota of authority to have anyone executed. Jesus was executed by the Romans for being a rabble rouser and insurrectionist...this occurred regularly in that day and anyone who attempted to lead the people away from Roman authority were dealt with permanently.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
If you knew anything regarding Jewish and Roman history...you would know that the Jews didn't have one iota of authority to have anyone executed. Jesus was executed by the Romans for being a rabble rouser and insurrectionist...this occurred regularly in that day and anyone who attempted to lead the people away from Roman authority were dealt with permanently.
I know that the Romans were the ones to carry out the crucifixion.

But who turned Jesus over to them? Obviously the Jews.

Why? Because Jesus performed signs and wonders, and the Jews' own law told them to not give heed to anyone doing signs and wonders, and claiming to serve a different God.

Correct me if I'm mistaken..

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I know that the Romans were the ones to carry out the crucifixion.

But who turned Jesus over to them? Obviously the Jews.

Why? Because Jesus performed signs and wonders, and the Jews' own law told them to not give heed to anyone doing signs and wonders, and claiming to serve a different God.

Correct me if I'm mistaken..

Blessings,
brian
I believe you are. The Jews didn't like what Jesus taught because it basically eliminated a need for them but it was the Romans who executed Jesus due to his insurrection...he was also leading the people away from Roman authority and that is something that was never tolerated by the Romans. Now, did the Jews whisper in the Romans ears for them to take notice of Jesus...that is something we can only speculate about. I try not to get too caught up in things we can never know anything about. It is the teaching of Jesus I focus on and take notice of...not all the minutia that was added due to an agenda.

The Jews were hated by the Romans and they made damn sure that everyone else would hate them as well...history tells us they succeeded very nicely.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I believe you are. The Jews didn't like what Jesus taught because it basically eliminated a need for them but it was the Romans who executed Jesus due to his insurrection...he was also leading the people away from Roman authority and that is something that was never tolerated by the Romans. Now, did the Jews whisper in the Romans ears for them to take notice of Jesus...that is something we can only speculate about. I try not to get too caught up in things we can never know anything about. It is the teaching of Jesus I focus on and take notice of...not all the minutia that was added due to an agenda.

The Jews were hated by the Romans and they made damn sure that everyone else would hate them as well...history tells us they succeeded very nicely.
I disagree. Pilate found nothing wrong with Jesus. But the religious teachers of the Jews, for envy, stirred up the people to convince Pilate to crucify Jesus instead of Barabbas, who had truly committed a crime.

Throughout the Gospels, we read how the Pharisees and other religious leaders of the Jews were constantly seeking a way to get Jesus killed. Romans were not involved in any way.

And the reason the Jewish leaders were against Jesus was because their holy books told them to not listen to anyone who told them (using signs) to worship a different God.

So Jesus was kind of "on the fence" because He indeed confirmed the prophesies of the OT, but at the same time He did things that caused the Jewish leaders to stumble, such as healing on the Sabbath..

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I disagree. Pilate found nothing wrong with Jesus. But the religious teachers of the Jews, for envy, stirred up the people to convince Pilate to crucify Jesus instead of Barabbas, who had truly committed a crime.

Throughout the Gospels, we read how the Pharisees and other religious leaders of the Jews were constantly seeking a way to get Jesus killed. Romans were not involved in any way.

And the reason the Jewish leaders were against Jesus was because their holy books told them to not listen to anyone who told them (using signs) to worship a different God.

So Jesus was kind of "on the fence" because He indeed confirmed the prophesies of the OT, but at the same time He did things that caused the Jewish leaders to stumble, such as healing on the Sabbath..

Blessings,
brian
Again Brian, you are using the bible, which was written with a clear agenda, to prove your point. Take a look at real history to assess who had the power and who didn't.

Pilate and the Romans were meant to look blameless for a reason Brian...do you see where I'm going with this?

BTW...you really should have a conversation with some Rabbi's for they will clear up the misconceptions the majority of Christianity has about fulfilled prophecy especially prophecy Christians attribute to the Messiah. Many of the scriptures Christians use to confirm Jesus as Messiah aren't even Messianic prophecies according to the Jews nor did Jesus fulfill any of the actual Messianic prophecies, which is why the Jews don't accept Jesus as their Messiah.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Again Brian, you are using the bible, which was written with a clear agenda, to prove your point. Take a look at real history to assess who had the power and who didn't.

Pilate and the Romans were meant to look blameless for a reason Brian...do you see where I'm going with this?

BTW...you really should have a conversation with some Rabbi's for they will clear up the misconceptions the majority of Christianity has about fulfilled prophecy especially prophecy Christians attribute to the Messiah. Many of the scriptures Christians use to confirm Jesus as Messiah aren't even Messianic prophecies according to the Jews nor did Jesus fulfill any of the actual Messianic prophecies, which is why the Jews don't accept Jesus as their Messiah.
Well, there may have been an agenda, but I don't think it really matters in this case, because what I see coming through loud and clear in the Gospels, is a demonstration of the hypocritical, animal nature within mankind. Someone else posted on another thread here recently, and I agree, that if Jesus were to return today as He was 2,000 years ago, history would repeat itself. Only that it would be the Christians to crucify Him.
But the reasons would be the same. They would say that they expected Jesus to return in another way, but in reality it's a question of discerning righteousness from wickedness, regardless of the Bible and any interpretation of it. The Jews just wouldn't walk in righteousness. They preferred wickedness, and that was instigated by the religious.

Today it is no different. Much of the world's violence is instigated through the use of religion to channel the masses of people in a certain direction.

Aisi..

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-25-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Well, there may have been an agenda, but I don't think it really matters in this case, because what I see coming through loud and clear in the Gospels, is a demonstration of the hypocritical, animal nature within mankind. Someone else posted on another thread here recently, and I agree, that if Jesus were to return today as He was 2,000 years ago, history would repeat itself. Only that it would be the Christians to crucify Him.
But the reasons would be the same. They would say that they expected Jesus to return in another way, but in reality it's a question of discerning righteousness from wickedness, regardless of the Bible and any interpretation of it. The Jews just wouldn't walk in righteousness. They preferred wickedness, and that was instigated by the religious.

Today it is no different. Much of the world's violence is instigated through the use of religion to channel the masses of people in a certain direction.

Aisi..

Blessings,
brian
I agree wholeheartedly with that statement Brian...I believe RELIGION to be a scourge upon humanity and would love to see it completely obliterated...but as long as men can use it to their advantage and control people with it...sadly, it never will be. Religion is NOT Spirituality...never has been and never will be.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with that statement Brian...I believe RELIGION to be a scourge upon humanity and would love to see it completely obliterated...but as long as men can use it to their advantage and control people with it...sadly, it never will be. Religion is NOT Spirituality...never has been and never will be.
Yes. Or, maybe, religion must be a one-on-one deal, just like Jesus met people on an individual basis. Worship to God is an inner job; the Kingdom within us is truly great, and it is made up of all we are. Our heart is the center of it all: our feelings, our hopes, our frustrations, our anger at unrighteousness, our total dependence on Him for every breath we take...

Blessings!
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity