Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,197 times

Advertisements

Okay I know I know. Here I go again!!!!!! I am studying the lineage of Christ in our Bible Study where all my crazy questions are coming from. Here is another one that I would like to get your input on....
In the story of Tamar, we learn that she covers herself and sleeps with Judah to become pregnant. Judah does not realize it is Tamar. In the story of Rahab (I finally learned to spell it right ) she lies to the king's guards and sends them after the spies while all along hiding the spies in her house. My question...does this mean it is okay to lie or be dishonest when it is for the "greater good" and if so how would you determine it was okay? I am curious to all of your answers! Thanks as always!

Last edited by little_thirsty; 02-27-2008 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
No, it doesn't.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM

But if either of these women had changed their actions they wouldn't be in the lineage of Christ...interesting to me. So not arguing with you, I really do want people's thoughts on this and I appreciate yours World Citizen!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM

That's true. And, there are many other examples in the Word of similar situations...

When WE look for loopholes in the Word to justify wrongdoing we are being presumptuous...

There's a NT scripture that addresses doing something wrong when we know better. Think it's in Corinthians...

You've brought up something beautiful. I almost posted it in your other Rahab thread but I figured someone else would. The fact that Rahab is in the lineage of Christ is so beautiful. It shows the heart of God, the Father...

His ways are above our ways.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Not really looking for a loophole, just for a better understanding. Thanks World for your posts and I am heading into Corinthians to see what I can find

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Romans 14:22

It's in Romans, not Corinthians. Sorry!

Romans 14:22

Happy is he that condemneth not himself it that thing he alloweth...

The whole chapter discusses making Godly choices...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks World Citizen! I was enjoying Corinthians anyways !!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,154 times
It is not about the lying, it is no matter how mans flesh gets in the way God has already made away to accomplish what he has called into being, It is very important to God that we keep our promises, That is why it is important that we do not make vows or promises if we represent God, and he is faithful, then we must be faithful, for he is faithful. And we know her fil was not going to keep his promises. Tamar was chosen to be in line, however The linage to be fullfilled by the first two sons where not to be,( as they eliminated by God) but the promise of how a widow was to be treated and a promise that she was to carry the seed of her dead husband. Because her FIL represented the lineage of Judah and inspite of his unfaithfullness he was made to be faithful. I hope this makes some sense For God does care how women were treated.

Rahab ( prostitute), Tamar (cannonite). Ruth the moabitess, and Bathsheba The adulteress, it is amazing to see how these women, came into the linage of Christ. Yet all redeemed. Inspite of the men in there lives

Old 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Default Well said !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
It is not about the lying, it is no matter how mans flesh gets in the way God has already made away to accomplish what he has called into being, It is very important to God that we keep our promises, That is why it is important that we do not make vows or promises if we represent God, and he is faithful, then we must be faithful, for he is faithful. And we know her fil was not going to keep his promises. Tamar was chosen to be in line, however The linage to be fullfilled by the first two sons where not to be,( as they eliminated by God) but the promise of how a widow was to be treated and a promise that she was to carry the seed of her dead husband. Because her FIL represented the lineage of Judah and inspite of his unfaithfullness he was made to be faithful. I hope this makes some sense For God does care how women were treated.

Rahab ( prostitute), Tamar (cannonite). Ruth the moabitess, and Bathsheba The adulteress, it is amazing to see how these women, came into the linage of Christ. Yet all redeemed. Inspite of the men in there lives
Great post.

You covered it all!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,130 times
This may be an issue similar to law and ethics, whereby the law establishes a statute, and ethics calls one to a greater good. If you can show the justification of a greater good, not short-term or inconsequential benefits, and not because it feels good only to you, one would 'pay' for the sin of lying, but may find justification in the righteous deed.

As has been stated however, it is not a balancing act to tangle in. Tamar, Rahab, Bathsheba all didn't have the foresight to know they would have been in the Christ lineage. And there was certainly a cost to each, even if they 'knew' G-d, or were saved, or whatever name we want to apply to living in G-d's light.

It is a very high stakes game nevertheless, and one played often by many, w/o knowing full consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity