Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times

Advertisements

Last Sunday my pastor's sermon included a bit about the parable of the 10 virgins from Matthew 25:1-10. Do any of you have any thoughts about it? Do you think the "foolish virgins" represent believers or unbelievers? Do you have any ideas about what the "oil" represents in this parable? I have some opinions but also a lot of questions about this parable. I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion....

Last edited by kaykay; 09-21-2007 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: typing, kaykay doesn't wake up actually till 10:00 or so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Kaykay, it's interesting, but in the last couple days I had been also thinking of posting this here for discussion! Here are the verses (Authorized Version) for study.. I have a few thots also but maybe have to think about them abit.

Matthew 25:1 ¶ Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
As I heard it explained, these verses refer to the idea of being prepared for Christ's return. Five of them were and five of them were not. The ones who were prepared took oil with them, indicating their preparation for the grooms coming. The ones who did not could not find oil for their lamps. Since we do not know the time when Christ will return, we must be spiritually prepared for that day or we may very well be left behind. Scary thought.....

Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
As I heard it explained, these verses refer to the idea of being prepared for Christ's return. Five of them were and five of them were not. The ones who were prepared took oil with them, indicating their preparation for the grooms coming. The ones who did not could not find oil for their lamps. Since we do not know the time when Christ will return, we must be spiritually prepared for that day or we may very well be left behind. Scary thought.....
Even scarier is that it appears that they all believed that they would be saved! They were all virgins, awaiting the coming of the bridegroom. They all had lamps, and from the outward appearance, were all the same, but.. no oil!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 AM

So.... since oil or lack of it seems to be the issue, what does this represent?
The Holy Spirit? Personal relationship with the Lord?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 AM

8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

It looks like at one time the foolish did have oil, as they said their lamps had gone out. They simply hadn't taken any extra, just had what was originally in the lamp, thinking that this would do. IMO this would be the same as if I had given my heart to God, but then thought that this was enough, I'm His Child now, and neglect my walk with Him. I maybe rely on my church attendance, good upbringing, and expect those things to "give me oil", as the foolish asked of the wise. (If I'm good enough, I'll make it! God will give me extra oil to cover the shortage, or surely my perfect church attendance or good deeds will give me oil even if my heart isn't where it should be.) Unfortunately, this wasn't so... the foolish were fully expecting to meet the bridegroom until His words "Sorry, I don't know you" came from behind the locked door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
So.... since oil or lack of it seems to be the issue, what does this represent?
The Holy Spirit? Personal relationship with the Lord?
IMO, it would be both of these.

Last edited by cg81; 09-21-2007 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Quoted kaykay

Old 09-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

It looks like at one time the foolish did have oil, as they said their lamps had gone out. They simply hadn't taken any extra, just had what was originally in the lamp, thinking that this would do. IMO this would be the same as if I had given my heart to God, but then thought that this was enough, I'm His Child now, and neglect my walk with Him. I maybe rely on my church attendance, good upbringing, and expect those things to "give me oil", as the foolish asked of the wise. (If I'm good enough, I'll make it! God will give me extra oil to cover the shortage, or surely my perfect church attendance or good deeds will give me oil even if my heart isn't where it should be.) Unfortunately, this wasn't so... the foolish were fully expecting to meet the bridegroom until His words "Sorry, I don't know you" came from behind the locked door.

IMO, it would be both of these.
Well, I think that interpretations sounds reasonable to me. On the other hand, maybe it isn't referencing salvation but "reward" in heaven. (Sometimes its difficult to know how far to push all the elements in a parable if that makes any sense...) My pastor didn't really say how he saw it.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
On the other hand, maybe it isn't referencing salvation but "reward" in heaven.
You mean different rewards in heaven depending on how we live?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
You mean different rewards in heaven depending on how we live?
Possibly. (although I think your interpretation is more likely.)

Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
this link is pretty good...

http://www.mckenziestudycenter.org/b...cles/virg.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity