Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:54 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
God does claim on the cross that He can take away the physical pain for the mental pain and the mental pain for the physical. Does good suffering plausibly mean that humility is the whole solution, OR is there sometimes courage that excludes humility as well?
God does claim on the cross . . . ??? Huh??? I think we have a syntax problem for starters..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 03:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
It would seem one is forgetting the purpose and the reason the Father sent His Son, Jesus Christ to die on the cross !

Seek it out and one will understand the questioning of sin, hell, and the whole issues one is having with the problem....
Yes, keep seeking Cyber Munchkin. Seek out what Jesus did and there will be no issue:

"Savior of the world"...
"Died for the sins of the world"...
"Takes away the sins of the world"...

Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Anguish and regret mostly come to mind when I hear the phrase "weeping, and of gnashing of teeth" and that could mean alot of things. When I think of the traditional idea of hell, I think "incomparable pain, blood curdling screams, and Thomas Aquinas watching and laughing at everyone there" ;p I think weeping and gnashing of teeth would be the preschool age version if that was an even remotely accurate description of the Traditional hell I was raised with...Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!
I am sorry to hear you were raised with such views.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,838,555 times
Does the Bible even say that sin will be destroyed? Does it say that sin will be eradicated? I thought it said it would be cast into the pit with Satan or wasn't that death?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Does the Bible even say that sin will be destroyed? Does it say that sin will be eradicated? I thought it said it would be cast into the pit with Satan or wasn't that death?
It says that Jesus came to destroy Sin (aka the works of the Devil):

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

This obviously refutes those that believe that sinners will remain in Hell forever. If so, that would mean that Sin was never eradicated. That is the subject of this thread.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:21 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,838,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

This obviously refutes those that believe that sinners will remain in Hell forever. If so, that would mean that Sin was never eradicated. That is the subject of this thread.
I understand your assumption but the literal translation states "that He might undo the works of the devil.". Now if you have another quote for destroy or eradicate, please share, but undo means neither.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:20 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post

They don't remain in hell forever...they perish - to die, to pass from exhistance; disappear...as in annihilated...burned up...into ashes...done...THUS!..sin IS! eradicated...!...

..."For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM, SHOULD NOT PERISH, BUT HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Love,
Verna.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes, keep seeking Cyber Munchkin. Seek out what Jesus did and there will be no issue:

"Savior of the world"...
"Died for the sins of the world"...
"Takes away the sins of the world"...
Well, thanks legoman for your concern, yet, just so you know and to reassure you once again.... Jesus has already fixed my issues, amen !!

Yes, Jesus is the....

"Savior of the world"... yet, He is not 'Savior' for those who reject Him and do not believe !

"Died for the sins of the world"... yes, hopefully and prayerfully one day for those of the world who reject Him and do not believe... will realize before they die, this truth of Christ !!

"Takes away the sins of the world".... Yes, He does and hopefully and prayerfully the lost will be delivered from sins deception, blinding them from this truth of the Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, before they die !!

Keep seeking Him, legoman, maybe one day the light of Christ will break through all ones knowledge with its confusion and issues.... about sin, its nature, hell, and truly understand the destruction of sin and all those who continue practicing sin !!
Gods word says, He seeks those who will worship Him in spirit and TRUTH..... hope that is in ones path of life one day !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
They don't remain in hell forever...they perish - to die, to pass from exhistance; disappear...as in annihilated...burned up...into ashes...done...THUS!..sin IS! eradicated...!...

..."For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM, SHOULD NOT PERISH, BUT HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Love,
Verna.
Amen, Verna,
Hopefully and prayerfully those who are confused and have such awful issues with trusting our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.... and are constantly tormented and can not receive the rest found in God about what He has spoken about the issues of sin, hell and all, that the Light of Christ will break through and bring upon them the peace that passes all understanding and receive the final rest that God has and is going to take care of all the issues and problems in the end with satan, sin, etc., that they don't have to worry and continue being tormented mentally about it !!
Amen...

Blessings, Verna !!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
The desire to sin is destroyed in the lives of the believers.

1 John 3 talks about two kinds of people: those who are of the devil, and those who are of God. Jesus destroyed sin in the lives of the believers and they will not continue to live sinful lifestyles. The same message is repeated in many plases in the Bible like Romans 6:11 where Paul says believers are "dead to sin". It means Christ has destroyed the desire to sin in the lives of the believers. This is how you can tell a believer from the unbeliever: the sin in the believer has been destroyed. That is what it means. I don't know how you concluded that it would somehow mean that the sins of people in hell has been destroyed.

1 John 3:7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,143 times
Quote:
I understand your assumption but the literal translation states "that He might undo the works of the devil.". Now if you have another quote for destroy or eradicate, please share, but undo means neither.
Hi RobinD69, that is a fair statement worthy of a fair response:

1Jn 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity