Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,143 times

Advertisements

Do you observe/celebrate Christmas? If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,216,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Yes we observe Christmas....but we leave Christ out of it. It is a time for family and friends to get together to celebrate. If God had said celebrate the birth of Jesus...I'd be doing it....but he didn't so I celebrate it like every other secular holiday.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,886 times
Quote:
No. Because it has nothing to do with Jesus Christ.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM

125 posts, read 301,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
No. Because it has nothing to do with Jesus Christ.
Don't let the retailers hear you; they depend on this season for sometimes up to 20% of thier yearly quota!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,353,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Yes we observe Christmas....but we leave Christ out of it. It is a time for family and friends to get together to celebrate. If God had said celebrate the birth of Jesus...I'd be doing it....but he didn't so I celebrate it like every other secular holiday.
This is my belief exactly.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
The nt never tells us to celebrate the birth of Christ..In fact, I believe the only birthday party was the one King Herod gave for himself..Wasn't a very pretty sight either when John the baptist was beheaded and served on a silver platter to a dancing girl that caught Herods attention..
Mark 6:14-29..

This family is mixed on what Christmas means to them, but we (well, most of us) all manage to respect the others belief in the matter.

.For myself I don't need a special day to celebrate Christ..It is a daily routine for me..

Christmas is another excuse for me to have the whole family here at home to enjoy one another's company, a good meal, and gathering around the Christmas tree to watch the joy of the young ones as they open presents..

Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

Ditto.....same here. It's just a time for family to get together, and help the winter pass more quickly. We usually invite a few friends over for dinner.

Bud

Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 AM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Yes . . . as with ANY celebration . . . WE determine what we are celebrating. We CHOOSE to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and celebrate His birth on that day. His existence was a major spiritual evolution for our species and should be acknowledged,IMO . . . but like our own birthdays in my family . . . we celebrate them at our convenience NOT necessarily on the anniversary day of the actual birth. In any case . . . each of US determine WHAT we are celebrating . . . it has always been so.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,672 times
I dont celebrate christmas. Why? No reason. All I can say is I lead a way unconventional and secluded life. Christmas almost doesn't exist in my world.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:45 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,966 times
I don't celebrate Christmas because I know it's an abomination to God. Jesus or the Apostles never celebrated their birthdays so why should we?

I do have a get together with friends and family during the summer but not on this holiday season. I find this time is too stressful and very difficult to travel or even to shop. The shops are crowded, almost impossible to find parking space, and if I have to travel... I hate it specially when it snows!

For many years I have found peace and tranquility while the World has gone mad with the season. My family and friends are aware of my belief so I'm relieved from giving or getting gifts and from the obligation to attend parties. I have removed a big load of stress out of my life and I'm much happier for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity