Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times

Advertisements

wow and I thought Christians loved Christmas.... Guess I got that wrong... Now why would anyone care if people say happy holidays vs merry Christmas? Doesn't seem like Christmas is for Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I think we should repent always (tough task). I don't think eating icream with your kids and taking them to a movie is a FREE PASS TO SALVATION.
If you think we must repent always, and that enjoying time with your children (if you even have any) has anything to do with salvation, then I feel for you.

It's posts like these that I can see why non-believers sit back and laugh at us.

Sorry, but I will continue to enjoy my children's birthdays, and on the 25th I will not celebrate Christ's birth, but I will have fun again with my kids and family. I also know God will be smiling down on us because we are having some good clean fun.

I would really hate to live life being afraid of having any fun. Do you not do anything fun with your kids trettep? Are you raising happy children?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,261 times
If we view Christmas as a pagan holiday and an idolatrous affair, then to me it is along the lines of eating meat offered to idols. We can do that as long our heart is right, provided we don't cause anyone else to stumble by the appearance of it.
  • 1 Corinthians 8:10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
Here's the whole passage
  • 1 Corinthians 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many, 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
  • 7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. 8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. 9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
  • 10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. 13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
What milestones of life are acceptable . . . graduations, anniversaries, promotions, the birth of a baby??????

Life should be about celebrating, God gave us family and friends for a reason . . .

Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
wow and I thought Christians loved Christmas.... Guess I got that wrong... Now why would anyone care if people say happy holidays vs merry Christmas? Doesn't seem like Christmas is for Christians.
I thought so too, sure doesn't seem that way from reading these posts. I am a Christian and yes I celebrate Christmas, it is very confusing to me why a Christian would not want to celebrate the birth of our Savior. Jesus is the only one who can make it possible for us to stand in the presence of God and receive Heaven as our eternal home. His love is enough to bring joy, peace happiness and eternal assurance, why would anyone who understands this not celebrate it?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I thought so too, sure doesn't seem that way from reading these posts. I am a Christian and yes I celebrate Christmas, it is very confusing to me why a Christian would not want to celebrate the birth of our Savior. Jesus is the only one who can make it possible for us to stand in the presence of God and receive Heaven as our eternal home. His love is enough to bring joy, peace happiness and eternal assurance, why would anyone who understands this not celebrate it?
Basically I don't because we're never told to. We're told to remember his death. December 25th is a man made date to celebrate His birth. I don't judge anyone who does celebrate it as such, but since God didn't seem to think it was needed, neither do I.

I mean, obviously we remember His life and what He did for us every day. But as far as actually celebrating Him, if God wanted us to remember His birth on a specific date, HE would have told us when, not man. Just as He did about His death.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
basically i don't because we're never told to. We're told to remember his death. December 25th is a man made date to celebrate his birth. I don't judge anyone who does celebrate it as such, but since god didn't seem to think it was needed, neither do i.

I mean, obviously we remember his life and what he did for us every day. But as far as actually celebrating him, if god wanted us to remember his birth on a specific date, he would have told us when, not man. Just as he did about his death.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
If we view Christmas as a pagan holiday and an idolatrous affair, then to me it is along the lines of eating meat offered to idols. We can do that as long our heart is right, provided we don't cause anyone else to stumble by the appearance of it.
This is an unbelievable concern . . . it is the Christian religious significance that society balks at . . . NOT pagan holidays and idolatrous affairs. It is the Christian religious significance that all but the wackadoos in society see as the significance of the holiday. I thought literalist fundamentalist YEC's views were whacked.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:36 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is an unbelievable concern . . . it is the Christian religious significance that society balks at . . . NOT pagan holidays and idolatrous affairs. It is the Christian religious significance that all but the wackadoos in society see as the significance of the holiday. I thought literalist fundamentalist YEC's views were whacked.
I wasn't talking about society's balking... I was addressing the groups / people who believe in Christ but think Christmas should not be celebrated due to pagan influence or origin. The scripture I posted (I think) shows that one can observe Christmas in spite of pagan influences.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Basically I don't because we're never told to. We're told to remember his death. December 25th is a man made date to celebrate His birth. I don't judge anyone who does celebrate it as such, but since God didn't seem to think it was needed, neither do I.
We`re not told to eat peanutbutter and jelly either. We`re not told to drive cars, have a savings account,or have a retirement account. As a matter of fact,we`re told not to worry about tomorrow. We`re not told to celebrate the 4th of July or presidents day.We`re not told to go to parades or resturaunts,or sporting events,movies,etc. We`re not told to have computers.
We`re told it`s better not to marry. Jesus never told us to have a canon of scriptures in a leather bound binder. He didn`t tell us to dress up on Sundays and go to church. He didn`t tell us to have televisions or radios,etc.
He didn`t make a list of every single thing you can or cannot do. Do as you will unto the Lord. But don`t use the lame excuse, he didn`t tell us to. That is extremely weak.

Quote:
I mean, obviously we remember His life and what He did for us every day. But as far as actually celebrating Him, if God wanted us to remember His birth on a specific date, HE would have told us when, not man.
How do you know that? You can celebrate it whenever you wish. If someone wants to celebrate it on DEc. 25,great. If they want to celebrate it on July 1,that`s great too. Is it hurting anybody? If you refuse to celebrate Jesus being born at all,you can do that too. Do as you will,unto the Lord.

Quote:
Just as He did about His death.
Do you celebrate Easter? When exactly did Christ die? Did he tell us we must celebrate his death and resurrection? Did he tell us to celebrate anything? Do you think Christ ever celebrated anything?

Isaiah 12:

4 In that day you will say:
"Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name;
make known among the nations what he has done,
and proclaim that his name is exalted.
5 Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things;
let this be known to all the world. 6 Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
for great is the Holy One of Israel among you."

So a lot of people give thanks to God for Jesus on a certain day. So they sing praises to the Lord in songs for what he has done. So it is a day that the nations know about the birth of the son of God. So they let it be known to all of the world.
Why is that a bad thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity