Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Are the one and the same, or is Calvinism simply a part of Protestantism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:55 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Calvinism refers to a belief system or theological perspective of those who follow the Biblical interpretations of John Calvin, who lived in the 16th century. He was a Protestant, yes, in the sense that he was in opposition to orthodox Catholic theology. But no, he was not the original "protestant". Martin Luther is actually the one most noted for setting "Protestantism" in motion.

So to answer your question....they are not one and the same. Some Protestants do not accept the validity of Calvinism. But Calvinism itself is a part of Protestantism.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:23 PM

45 posts, read 119,783 times
Default Which is which?

Hi all,

I'm not an expert, but this is one of my husband's pet peeves so I've heard a few "sermons" on it. =D

Protestantism is basically the churches/believers who split from the Catholic church, starting with Luther. Calvin came along and wrote down what most "protestants" believed, and thus became a figurehead, although he wasn't preaching anything "new" to Protestantism.

"Calvinism" is a name many people associate with TULIP, or the five points, that were coined to debate another idea that was figureheaded by Arminius (Sp?). Arminius (according to my husband) disagreed with Calvin's writings on total depravity, man's free will, etc, and sought to have Calvin declared a heretic. At the Council of Dordt (sp?), the leaders of Protestantism came together and debated whether or not Calvin was a heretic. At the end of the Council, Calvin's understanding of depravity, free will, etc, was acknowledged to be the only Biblical viewpoint and Arminius himself was declared a heretic...or heretical, anyways. Complete reversal. So after the Council of Dordt, all orthodox Protestants can then also be called "Calvinists" if they didn't deny the Council's findings and follow Arminius.

Many people today who call themselves Arminians don't actually know that Arminius was declared a heretic. Calvin was not seeking to become the figurehead of Protestantism, it was Arminius who wanted his views banned and Arminius's theology that was found wanting. So anyone who follows Arminianism today is actually part of a group that the rest of Protestantism declared heretical.

That's the history as I know it. In short, you can say Orthodox Protestantism == Calvinism (as most people understand it, referring to the main points, not necessarily every single belief of Calvin's). Hyper-Calvinism, or the group that decided that God created those going to Hell specifically for that end, and thus decided that all evangelism is pointless, are not actually Calvinists.

I think the pertinent verses in Romans are pretty obvious but obviously I'm a "Calvinist" there. =D

Katherine

Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Are the one and the same, or is Calvinism simply a part of Protestantism?
Ohhhhhhhhh....no...no.....no

Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Calvin--with Luther--was the chief theologian of the Reformation, and his theology shaped many denominations in Protestantism, but several groups dissented from the Calvinists. Here's the denominational breakdown

Calvinist

1) Reformed/Christian Reformed
2) Presbyterian
3) Some Baptist groups

Non-Calvinist

1) Mennonite/Amish
2) Methodist/Holiness/Nazarene
3) Lutheran
4) Some Baptist groups
5) Liberal protestant groups
6) Charismatic/Pentocostal groups

Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Let ask the question another way:

Does Catholic vs Protestant equate to Works vs pre destination??

Part of my reason for this question is I'm wondering whether the non denominational Church of Christ (which emphasizes Works like the Catholics, but doesn't accept the Pope or Sainthood) could be considered a Protestant group. I had always believed that it was because I thought Protestantism empasized a return to the New Testament for its church model (vs the Catholic Churches' belief in traditions authority over Biblical authority) - however I was recently studying early Protestantism (including Calvinism) and I now wonder if it was less about "Bible vs Tradition" and more of a "Works vs Election of the believers

Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally posted by censusdata
Let ask the question another way:

Does Catholic vs Protestant equate to Works vs pre destination??

Part of my reason for this question is I'm wondering whether the non denominational Church of Christ (which emphasizes Works like the Catholics, but doesn't accept the Pope or Sainthood) could be considered a Protestant group. I had always believed that it was because I thought Protestantism empasized a return to the New Testament for its church model (vs the Catholic Churches' belief in traditions authority over Biblical authority) - however I was recently studying early Protestantism (including Calvinism) and I now wonder if it was less about "Bible vs Tradition" and more of a "Works vs Election of the believers
This is a good question. I've always divided christendom into three branches: Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant--with protestants being the hodgepodge of everyone else. But Yes, the Reformation began with the debate over "Works v Election". But that debate will always turn into a "Bible v tradition" debate because Salvation by works is based on tradition, while election (salvation by faith) is based on the scriptures.

Hope that helps

John

Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 43,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Calvinism refers to a belief system or theological perspective of those who follow the Biblical interpretations of John Calvin, who lived in the 16th century. He was a Protestant, yes, in the sense that he was in opposition to orthodox Catholic theology. But no, he was not the original "protestant". Martin Luther is actually the one most noted for setting "Protestantism" in motion.

So to answer your question....they are not one and the same. Some Protestants do not accept the validity of Calvinism. But Calvinism itself is a part of Protestantism.
okay

Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 43,677 times
Thumbs down hi all of u

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah : confused:: ok:

Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 21,802 times
Get out of here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity