Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 PM

255 posts, read 514,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
It is like I told you. I have already met the God/Man who had His Words recorded. If you ever meet Him, then you too will be singing a different tune.
How did you meet Him? I would like to but not unsuccessful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
It is like I told you. I have already met the God/Man who had His Words recorded. If you ever meet Him, then you too will be singing a different tune.
But in the meantime, I can go on my happy-go-lucky way without a care in the world.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:06 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post
How did you meet Him? I would like to but not unsuccessful.
Don't worry. He meets up with every one sooner or later.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:26 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
GEN 7:17 "And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth."

I believe it is saying that the flood started and increased for forty days peeked and prevailed for 150 days from begining til end. According to Websters dictionary, "flood" can be used as a transitive verb, intransitive verb and a noun.

GEN 7:24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.
RESPONSE:

Not if you go by the plain meaning of words.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - "swell" (past tense = swelled) - to expand (as in size, volume, or numbers) gradually beyond a normal or original limit.

(Genesis 7:24)And the waters swelled on the earth for one hundred and fifty days.

as contrasted with:

(Genesis 7:17) "And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth."

Thus we have a contradictory doublet indicating that two different accounts were combined.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Not if you go by the plain meaning of words.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - "swell" (past tense = swelled) - to expand (as in size, volume, or numbers) gradually beyond a normal or original limit.

(Genesis 7:24)And the waters swelled on the earth for one hundred and fifty days.

as contrasted with:

(Genesis 7:17) "And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth."

Thus we have a contradictory doublet indicating that two different accounts were combined.
We can have no meeting of the minds on these things because you use a differant version of the Bible that to me trows off the meaning. You see contradictions. I do not.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
We can have no meeting of the minds on these things because you use a differant version of the Bible that to me trows off the meaning. You see contradictions. I do not.
RESPONSE:

Perhaps you should use a version of the bible that was made from the earliest extant copies of scripture in the original languages. The New Revised Standard Version (National Council of Churches) and the New American Bible RE (Catholic Biblical Society and the scripture department of Catholic University) are translated about the same.

Beware of Bible translations prepared by religious groups that are trying to biblically support their own agenda. These are quite common. Some modify their texts to correct the obvious errors in the Bible.

For example, "James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiologyand reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its beliefs about an ordained clergy. The translation was done by 47 scholars, all of whom were members of the Church of England." (KIng James Version - from Wikipedia)

Last edited by ancient warrior; 11-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Your history is not up to date. I have seen the correct history on this subject a long time ago. I'll look for it again and I'll post it.
RESPONSE:

While we await your "up to date" and "correct history" lets look at the premier Jewish historian writing in this period.

Josephus Flavius, Antiquities of the Jews - Book XVIII , FROM THE BANISHMENT OF ARCHELUS TO THE DEPARTURE FROM BABYLON.

CHAPTER 1.
HOW CYRENIUS WAS SENT BY CAESAR TO MAKE A TAXATION OF SYRIA AND JUDEA; AND HOW COPONIUS WAS SENT TO BE PROCURATOR OF JUDEA; CONCERNING JUDAS OF GALILEE AND CONCERNING THE SECTS THAT WERE AMONG THE JEWS.

"1. NOW Cyrenius (Quirinius), a Roman senator, and one who had gone through other magistracies, and had passed through them till he had been consul, and one who, on other accounts, was of great dignity, came at this time into Syria, with a few others, being sent by Caesar to he a judge of that nation, and to take an account of their substance. Coponius also, a man of the equestrian order, was sent together with him, to have the supreme power over the Jews. Moreover, Cyrenius came himself into Judea, which was now added to the province of Syria, to take an account of their substance, and to dispose of Archelaus's money..."

CHAPTER 2.
"1. WHEN Cyrenius had now disposed of Archelaus's money, and when the taxings were come to a conclusion, which were made in the thirty-seventh year of Caesar's victory over Antony at Actium, he deprived Joazar of the high priesthood..."

Note: Archleus was the son of Herod the Great and became ruler of Judea (but not Galilee) in 4 BC and was exiled in 6 AD.

Thus if Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod (died in 4 BC) and again during the Roman census of Judea in 6 AD, Jesus must be the first "born again" Christian. []

Last edited by ancient warrior; 11-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 PM

[quote=Eusebius;21869902]Nope, not any contradictions in a properly translated Bible such as the Concordant Literal:

[quote]

RESPONSE:

Perhaps these contradictions have been removed by A.E. Knoch in his "properly translated" version of the Bible.

From the Wikipedia:

The Concordant Version is an English translation of the Bible compiled by the Concordant Publishing Concern (CPC), which was founded by Adolph Ernst Knoch in 1909....A. E. Knoch designed the Concordant Version in such a way as to put the English reader who lacks a formal knowledge of Koine Greek in possession of all the vital facts of the most ancient codices: Codex Vaticanus, Codex Sinaiticus, and Codex Alexandrinus. ... An utterly consistent hyper-literal sub-linear based upon a standard English equivalent for each Greek element is to be found beneath each Greek word. The Concordant Greek Text forms the basis of the Concordant Literal New Testament, which is more idiomatic in its English than the hyper-literal sublinear.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I was raised in a Catholic family, went to Catholic schools growing up and went to Church every week.

But lately I am starting to question things.

I am not writing this to be a troll.

There are parts of the Bible that seem to contradict everything that I was taught...such as love and compassion and that we are all equal.

Also, why are parts of the Bible clearly make women look inferior?

1 Timothy 2:12

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet."

Ephesians 5:22-24

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything."

I Corinthians 14:34-35

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

What about:

Psalms 137:9

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock."

Luke 14:26

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

Also, why do people who claim to be Christians to the core only follow parts of the Bible they find more convenient?
Do you really want to know?...Are you ready to learn?...Scripture does not contradict itself...It takes logic and reason to balance scripture...You are in the Army, no?...You are the property of the government, they can do with you as they wish...It is called Sovreignty...In a well organized Army, everything has a purpose and it is not always readily discernable...Hawyaw has organized the Universe as He sees fit...We are not to question His motives...Things are as they are according to His good pleasure and wisdom...

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Do you really want to know?...Are you ready to learn?...Scripture does not contradict itself...It takes logic and reason to balance scripture.
RESPONSE:

On the contrary, scripture frequenly contradicts itself, as I have previsouly shown.

Examples:

1. Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod the Great (died in 4 B.C.) according to Matthew. But according to Luke, Jesus was born when Judea first came under direct Roman rule following the exile of Archulaus in 6 AD and a Roman census was conducted. A difference of ten years.

2. Mark, Luke, and John have Jesus sending for one animal and riding it into Jerusalem. Matthew (misunderstanding the Zech 9.9 story), makes it a prophecy which Jeus fulfills by sending for and riding two animals into Jerusalem).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity