Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:16 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,050,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
'

I don't think ANYONE sees Obama as a prophet. If he says he is a Christian, then why is it important for someone to claim otherwise? The Bible says 'do not judge'. Is he a born again Christian? I don't know, but if he is not, then I will allow God to judge him. And same goes for Bush, who also claimed to be a Christian, and same goesfor any US politician. Some of them are true believers, while some others simply call themselves Christians, because US is a Christian country and most American identify themselves as Christian.

It is funny how a person like Obama is attacked if he does not mention God on thanksgiving, and then he attacked again by the same people when he does mention God the next week. Go figure.
Excellent post, Finn. I wholeheartedly agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,396,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
They did when he was running for president. "Prophet" was a common term used by his supporters. So was "savior." He was literally being hailed as the second coming.

If I claimed to be a member of your family, would it be important for you to claim otherwise?

This has got to be THE most misquoted and misused verse in the Bible. When people use this verse, they become hypocrites because they themselves are judging the person they're saying it to. What they're REALLY saying is, "Don't say anything against this person that I like or what I believe!"

Matthew 7:1 is where it says to "Judge not, that you may not be judged." As the context of this verse reveals, this does not prohibit all types of judging. That's evidenced a few verses later, in vs 16, that I quoted earlier: "You will know them by their fruits." You can't do that without making a judgment.

There is a righteous kind of judgment that Christians are SUPPOSED to exerise with careful discernment. John 7:24 says, "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.” Matthew 7:1 is talking about hypocritical, censuring, self-righteous, and other kinds of unfair judgments that are forbidden; but in order to fulfill the commandments that follow, it is necessary to discern dogs and swine (vs 6, “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.") from fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, evidenced in verses 3-5.

I agree. God is not fooled and will sort it all out in the end. But, we are commanded to know how to discern and to perform righteous judgments. The judgment made here is simply this: Obama has publicly mocked the Bible and Christians. His political and personal stances do not align with the scriptures definition of what it is to be a Christian. It's not wrong to point that out.

The reason Obama is being called out for this is because he's constantly sending mixed signals regarding his faith, scripture, Christianity and Islam. It's understandable for people to openly wonder where he really stands because of all that.

Good post.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: off topic/does not address the op

Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Cowboys Fan View Post
Yeah I'm really surprised he did this, especially since he hasn't celebrated his Christianity much over the past several years (he seems to distance himself from Christianity).
Maybe it's a miracle, or maybe it's because he's desperate due to low approval. Either way, a reminder about Christ at Christmas is important.
I have a friend who recently told me that she won't vote for Obama a second time because he doesn't go to church regularly. What she doesn't understand is, no presidents attend church regularly because of the total disruption it causes in the church. I told her she better give up voting for any president if that's her basis for voting.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,050,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have a friend who recently told me that she won't vote for Obama a second time because he doesn't go to church regularly. What she doesn't understand is, no presidents attend church regularly because of the total disruption it causes in the church. I told her she better give up voting for any president if that's her basis for voting.
Her decision sounds rather irrational for the reasons you stated. It's interesting all the differing things people base their votes on.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,732,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Good post.
[mod[orphaned[/mod]
Amen !!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-06-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,665,747 times
Quote:
I never, ever hear any of his supporters refer to him as any kind of spiritual leader. This is the first time I hear the "prophet" term, and I have heard the "saviour"being used only by his opponents and they do it only to mock him. If you have links to show his supporters talk about him as a spiritual leader or compare him to Jesus christ, then let's see those links here. I think people like you judge his faith only because you do not like him being president. Am I right? Why else would you care? Since your judgement is politically motivated, I don't see how you can call it "righteous" judgment.
You're wrong, again. My comment isn't politically motivated at all. I've mentioned nothing about him politically. I didn't bring politics into it at all. You assumed and accused me of that to try to back up your view.

Also, if you read my comment again, you will see that I said, "while he was running for president," (and for a short time after he became president, actually) is when the words "prophet" and "savior" were used by his SUPPORTERS to describe him. I never said people considered him a "spiritual advisor." The terms were used nevertheless.

If you understood scripture, you would understand what a righteous judgment is. Thanks for the discussion.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
You can call him a bad Christian, and not a 'true' Christian, or you can pray that he will see the truth. There are millions of people who call themselves Christians, and actually think they are doing God's will by being "nice people" and going to church etc, but are deceived about key points about what being Christian is all about.

I am surprised to see Christians going to no end trying to prove he is not a good enough Christian. Maybe that is not something a true Christian should be not be doing. If you thought he was a Christian then the "righteous judgment" approach would apply, as we are supposed to righteously judge our brothers in Christ in order to correct them, and help them onto the right path, but his opponents whole point is to say he is NOT a Christian, and the Bible says that God will judge those outside the Church.

And, no I didn't vote for him

I didn't call nor am I trying to prove Obama is a good Christian or a bad Christian. I am saying he is not a Christian.

Anyone who does not believe that CHRIST, through his redemptive work on the cross on our behalf, is the ONLY way to God the Father, should not be calling themselves a CHRISTian. You can't take "Christ" out of "Christian" and still have a Christian.

Obama has said in interviews that Jesus Christ is not the only way to the Father. Anyone who believes that there are other paths to God other than through Jesus Christ is not a CHRISTian...but not to say they will or will not come to the truth at some point in their life.

That is my only point concerning Obama or anyone else that calls themselves a CHRISTian.

Of course we need to pray for ALL non-believers. That is a no brainer as a true CHRISTian.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,873,661 times
Quote:
I didn't call nor am I trying to prove Obama is a good Christian or a bad Christian. I am saying he is not a Christian.

Anyone who does not believe that CHRIST, through his redemptive work on the cross on our behalf, is the ONLY way to God the Father, should not be calling themselves a CHRISTian. You can't take "Christ" out of "Christian" and still have a Christian.

Obama has said in interviews that Jesus Christ is not the only way to the Father. Anyone who believes that there are other paths to God other than through Jesus Christ is not a CHRISTian...but not to say they will or will not come to the truth at some point in their life.

That is my only point concerning Obama or anyone else that calls themselves a CHRISTian.

Of course we need to pray for ALL non-believers. That is a no brainer as a true CHRISTian.
When someone says that Jesus Christ is their personal lord and savior, like Obama did, then I usually leave it at that. I see no point whatsoever to launch a mission to prove otherwise. I simply leave it to God, as He knows their hearts better than any of us ever will. If he is not saved, then he is not saved, I am not taking out the bull-horn to make sure everyone knows my opinion about it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-06-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Obama has many of his words concerning Christianity recorded. Christians are to judge other Christians. It's in the Bible.

Read up on Simon the Sorcerer in the book of Acts. What does Peter have to say to Simon? Was Peter judging and condemning Simon? Was Peter a bigot?

God is your God too, he is everyone's God. You as well as I will meet Him some day and will give an account of all the words we have spoken.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-06-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,873,661 times
Quote:
Obama has many of his words concerning Christianity recorded. Christians are to judge other Christians. It's in the Bible.
But you said he is NOT a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity