Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
verna... you are almost correct. Everyone of the ten commandments are brought into the new testament, except for the sabbath day.

and something you need to understand, the 10 commandments were observed by the Jews. Are you a jew? i'm not. Gentile. The 10 commandments were given to Israel...

But, but, it is settled once and for all.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM

531 posts, read 479,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Liar? Of course not, he simply says his primary mission is to spread the Gospel, not to baptise.

How many people did Jesus baptise?
which includes baptism... he wasn't going to baptize anyone anymore because of the confusion that people were engaging in by latching onto whoever had baptized them, thinking that if they were baptized by so-and-so... they were better or had a more important part in the kingdom. paul knew that by preaching the Gospel, they'd be baptized just not by him. by another Christian.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The only person called to baptize by water was John the Baptist.
He is the only person specifically named in the Bible called to baptize by water, but that certainly isn't a reason to assume that there were not others who were also called. If Jesus Christ deemed water baptism so important that He insisted on receiving it Himself, it would not have suddenly ceased to matter after John's death.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
which includes baptism... he wasn't going to baptize anyone anymore because of the confusion that people were engaging in by latching onto whoever had baptized them, thinking that if they were baptized by so-and-so... they were better or had a more important part in the kingdom. paul knew that by preaching the Gospel, they'd be baptized just not by him. by another Christian.
He said 1 Cor 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel

He said he was glad he didn't baptize more than two because he saw where it was going. That is the problem with rituals, they tend to take the center stage, when the center stage should always the Gospel. That is why Paul said "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel"

Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
But, but, it is settled once and for all.......
how i wish...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
He is not talking about callings, or gifts, he is talking about priorities. Jesus didn't baptize people either, He simply declared them saved.
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm asking you where in the Bible we find any evidence whatsoever than water baptism was merely "a recommendation." You are talking around the subject but nothing you have said answers my question.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I'm going to settle this whole thing once and for all...
Oh, thank God for Verna! We can all stop talking about this now. Where were you yesterday, Verna, when Katie started this thread? We've all been waiting for your pronouncement.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
He said 1 Cor 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel

He said he was glad he didn't baptize more than two because he saw where it was going. That is the problem with rituals, they tend to take the center stage, when the center stage should always the Gospel. That is why Paul said "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel"

yeah... i know what it says.

in john 3 and 4 there is much said about Christ baptizing... in chapter 4 it says: 1 Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John 2 (although Jesus Himself was not baptizing, but His disciples were)

he's clarifying what he'd said in verse 3...

we are baptized into Christ. does not John allude to Christ is also doing the baptizing even though someone else performs the physical act?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh, thank God for Verna! We can all stop talking about this now. Where were you yesterday, Verna, when Katie started this thread? We've all been waiting for your pronouncement.
From one walking dead to another I'd give you a rep, but I have not spread enough around yet. LOL

Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm asking you where in the Bible we find any evidence whatsoever than water baptism was merely "a recommendation." You are talking around the subject but nothing you have said answers my question.
It doesn't say it? The saying "outward expression of an inner commitment to follow the Savior Jesus Christ" is actually a LDS darling, when they talk about the holy underwear, but now you are telling me it is not Biblical?

Here Paul explains it is symbolic: Romans 6:3 “Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”

The immersion symbolizes the death, and coming out of the water symbolized the resurrection. When this is done in public, you publicly associate yourself with Christ, so it is an outward expression of your faith.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-08-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity