Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,906,303 times

Advertisements

So, as you likely already know, Christmas falls on a Sunday this year. Now for Christmas, usualy many of our closest family members come on the Eve, stay the night and wake up, exchange gifts, and eat a big Christmas breakfast. I am not a Christian but many in my family are and one relative in particular goes to church every sunday, studies their Bible and so forth. Well, since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, this relative has revealed that they will not be coming over and spending the night or showing up on Christmas morning, but rather, attending church instead. The rest of us were shocked, especialy because Christmas is one of the only times a year our entire family gets together.

Is this something that you, as a Christian, will also be doing? Assuming your God exists, wouldn't he and Jesus prefer we spend Christmas with our freinds and loved ones? What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,590,169 times
The church I pastor is offering people 2 choices this year. You can come to worship on Christmas Eve or you can come on Christmas Day. We are offering the Christmas Day option this year because it falls on a Sunday and also falls on our normal Sunday for offering a community meal; so it will be

Normally we do not hold a service on Christmas Day so people can spend it with their families, including me.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
Everybody loves to see the kids opening presents; visiting with loved ones and ...then a big Christmas dinner accompanied by a good football game!

But, do you suppose that Santa and the traditions of "CHRIST"mas --- sometimes overshadow the reason for the celebration itself! Families can get together and eat anytime ... (they can also worship God on any Sunday) ... but, the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ is only designated as a once-per-year event. Is it really expecting too much to put the celebration of Christ's birth... ahead of a family celebration, once (twice, I suppose, if you count Easter) a year??

Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So, as you likely already know, Christmas falls on a Sunday this year. Now for Christmas, usualy many of our closest family members come on the Eve, stay the night and wake up, exchange gifts, and eat a big Christmas breakfast. I am not a Christian but many in my family are and one relative in particular goes to church every sunday, studies their Bible and so forth. Well, since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, this relative has revealed that they will not be coming over and spending the night or showing up on Christmas morning, but rather, attending church instead. The rest of us were shocked, especialy because Christmas is one of the only times a year our entire family gets together.

Is this something that you, as a Christian, will also be doing? Assuming your God exists, wouldn't he and Jesus prefer we spend Christmas with our freinds and loved ones? What do you all think?
Why not invite them to stay and they can go to church in the morning?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 PM

9,692 posts, read 10,030,708 times
Some Christians have faith in something and others may not , some Christians sin and some resist the same sin . It is just that way and Christians are called to love people no different they any other as their convictions may be different .....You should just ask the relative to travel over after Church and have a visit or Just travel over and take that relative out to a restaurant for Christmas dinner or after church.....or Just phone them up after church and wish them a Happy Christmas...... See Christians are called to take No offense and Just Bless them were ever they are....

Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM

337 posts, read 409,354 times
It just so happens that our families don't get together on Christmas morning so it isn't an issue. I've skipped church before for family functions but not often. It really would depend on the situation. I think I would try to come to the family function, but I would first want to get someone to cover for me at the church.

Some people have jobs at the church that are needed, such as the pastor, they have to be there if they are going to have a service. But I don't see a problem with skipping church for a Christmas get together. I know people that go out of town for weeks at a time for their family functions. Also this relative of yours has a ready audience for proselytizing. What an opportunity!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,988,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Why does it matter if people get together if God doesn't exist.

In regards to what people do on what day? Depends on how they are led.

Church pressures? Family pressures? Don't matter if you are led.

If you exist to please people? Tough road to travel.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why not invite them to stay and they can go to church in the morning?
Well they just may do this but.....it gets awfuly snowy here in Ohio and they dont like traveling far in it. So.....if there is much chance of snow, they will just tay home and close to their church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
It just so happens that our families don't get together on Christmas morning so it isn't an issue. I've skipped church before for family functions but not often. It really would depend on the situation. I think I would try to come to the family function, but I would first want to get someone to cover for me at the church.

Some people have jobs at the church that are needed, such as the pastor, they have to be there if they are going to have a service. But I don't see a problem with skipping church for a Christmas get together. I know people that go out of town for weeks at a time for their family functions. Also this relative of yours has a ready audience for proselytizing. What an opportunity!
They know better...... if you ask about their beliefs they will tell you, but they are oner of the good ones that keep them to themselve3s if not asked....

Plus I mentioned that many in the family already are Christian, likely the majority. However it's worth noting that the majority will not be attending church services on Christmas this year as far as I know.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM

I should have also mentioned that not only did they say that they will be going to church, but that they MUST put church first.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times
No, I disagree with the OP. Your relative is faithfully worshiping God on the Sabbath, as God expects. You have to understand, to a genuine Christian, his or her faith and her relationship with almighty God comes first. God commanded regular worship one day a week. Part of being a faithful Christian is also living within the will of God as revealed in the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity