Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times

Advertisements

I am asking for prayers for myself. The reason is, is I am being placed under the Spirit of Conviction. The Holy Spirit is doing a work in me that is hard to explain. I have sin that needs dealt with, smoking being one of them. I know some who are ok with smoking, and that is fine, as long as it doesnt become a god to you. For myself, I am hooked. I fear for my soul, and have been playing a tug a war with God over this and other issues for some time, but the Holy Spirit is letting me know this time is coming to an end. God will jist let go of the rope.

Please pray for strength to overcome this and my other little gods and idols in my life.

Thank you all in advance,,

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I am asking for prayers for myself. The reason is, is I am being placed under the Spirit of Conviction. The Holy Spirit is doing a work in me that is hard to explain. I have sin that needs dealt with, smoking being one of them. I know some who are ok with smoking, and that is fine, as long as it doesnt become a god to you. For myself, I am hooked. I fear for my soul, and have been playing a tug a war with God over this and other issues for some time, but the Holy Spirit is letting me know this time is coming to an end. God will jist let go of the rope.

Please pray for strength to overcome this and my other little gods and idols in my life.

Tony
My prayers are with you, Tony!!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:06 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:

Tony
My dear brother in Christ...Tony...

These are very beautiful times brother if you'll allow yourself to "see" them and experience them through the eyes of God, in the power of His Spirit. He is perfecting you precious child of The Living God ...I promise in His Name.

Heavenly Father, Thank you for your awesome, faithful love...and thank You for the cleansing power of Your Holy Spirit...wash your son, Tony, in your Spirit...cleanse him and make him whole...purify him...hold him tightly in Your strong arms...go before him and protect him O LORD....and help him to discern what is of You Father that he may be a willing vessel to do all that You Father have placed upon his heart to do that pleases You.

Give him Your peace Father that passes all understanding..and we thank you Father that You love him so much as to prepare him for your Kingdom to come...In Jesus' precious Name I pray. Amen.

Be strong Tony, the LORD is with you...His word is a lamp unto thy feet and a light unto thy path...here are some Scipture to give you The Light that you need in your walk...

For whom the Lord loves he chastens, and scourges every son whom he receives. (Heb.12:6.)

Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you. (Deut.8:5.)

Blessed is the man you discipline, O LORD, the man you teach from your law; (Psalm 94:12.)

I know, O LORD, that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness you have afflicted me. (Ps. 119:75.)

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, (Pr.3:11) because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. (Pr.3:12)

Why should any living man complain when punished for his sins? (Lam.3:39)

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent (Rev.3:19)

Thank you for letting us in with you to experience such a private moment between you and God...giving us the chance to pray for you. Your love for the Lord is obvious Tony...you are surely growing and maturing spiritually into a beautiful son of God...and I am so happy to have you as my brother.

He needs you......and the world needs you.

God Bless you and keep you,
Verna.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Rest assurred that there are many silent, secret prayer warriors who read the prayer requests..

Look up Tony, in hope and confidence in your strengths, not down in defeat by your weaknesses.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Rest assurred that there are many silent, secret prayer warriors who read the prayer requests..

Look up Tony, in hope and confidence in your strengths, not down in defeat by your weaknesses.
Amen! The C-D prayer warriors are some of the most sincere and effective around . . . many of whom prefer to pray in secret as Miss Blue knows. Smoking is the most difficult and devastating of the addictions to stop because it is tied to the act of breathing . . . something we must do constantly. I echo Miss blue in the bold, Tony.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:29 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:

Tony
Tony, STOP Struggling! do not struggle with smoking or not smoking. In the struggle the evil ones keep us hooked. I gotta ramble, sorry but am going to brainstorm some thoughts here.

It's good you are feeling convicted, but do not beat yourself up. Just see that you are helpless and have the compulsion to smoke. Just "watch it" and of course this from a sincere heart of asking to "be saved from" this compulsion to smoke.

Don't fear anymore. Fearing for one's soul is sign enough that you have much hope of being saved and all being fine. A person that there is no Holy Spirit repentance for does not FEAR, that person is the one that doesn't fear or care, or have humility. You do.

No, God is not about to let go of the rope to you. That's the evil one making you think that you haven't fought hard enough, that you are failing in this tug of war.

Also, we were created with a part of us called ego and this part of us does not like to lose or fail, so we are easily tempted to struggle endlessly.

The true Holy spirit will move upon you and save you from any compulsions, but stop the struggle, first. Just smoke when you have to and refuse the guilt feelings but continue to sincerely cry out to God to have the desire, the compulsion removed from you.

Bible says "of myself I can do nothing."

So, why the struggle? You cannot remove your own addiction. God can and He will.....our motives draw Him to us. Sincerity is the key and you bet I'll do my best to pray for you.

Also...there is something that I am convinced keeps us locked into our compulsions, and it is

resentments! Please examine yourself and without judging yourself and without struggling to change your feelings about anyone, WHO and WHAT do you have resentments against? What grudges exist within you? It could even be a monstrous parent that died many years ago...who?

To sit in silence, and stillness within this context, seeing and admitting who we are hypnotically fixated on in resentments is very healing. Just see it and own it, admit it. It's like this...

we can't lose weight, stop smoking, drinking or something, we can't make ourselves more patient with someone or something, we are powerless, so we've got to think of the person or people that have hurt us the most, truly wronged us, and think of THEM, also in this context....admit it! they, too are like us....they are helpless to change so their wrong is that they did something bad to us, and we resent them for it. This can help us stop resenting them and we are forgive as we forgive.

I hope something within this ramble is of some value, having resonated with you.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 AM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
I will keep you in my prayers, Tony. God bless.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times
May God Bless you and keep you.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:

Tony

Praying, but I hope you are not offended that I will pray that you see a God that will not ask you to be in fear over your soul. But to see a God who promises that he will never leave nor forsake you, he will never drop you out of his hands.

You may choose a path that blinds you to his presence, but he still is always there and will never give up on you.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I will pray for you too, Tony, but I echo the thoughts of Phazelwood. (tried to give rep but was blocked)

The way that you put it "God has placed me under a spirit of conviction" sounds almost terrifying! Sort of like a spiritual probation. I am not saying that smoking is good at all. I have never smoked in my life, and I understand that is one of the most difficult habits to kick.

I still feel compassion for smokers who are at some churches, treated as second class citizens.
About ten years ago, I had a very nice neighbor who was (I thought) a very active member of a huge Assembly of God Church. I attended both of her babies dedications.

One day she came over to invite me to a party. she was being "received into her church" - I was confused because I thought that she had been a member for years.
She explained that she could not officially join because she was an occasional smoker! I was so taken back! This woman was good enough to do everything for this church - but not good enough to join because she smoked? I also thought what about the future? Was she going to live with this Damocles Sword hanging over her head for the rest of her life knowing that at any moment that she slipped and had a cigaret that she could lose her church membership?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity