Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Katie ..... This means not seen with the natural eye.
PCamps,

We see evidence of God all around us. This produces faith. The scriptures also produce faith.

I still think you, Pneuma and I are struggling with semantics, or at least I'm struggling with understanding your position.

You said Pneuma speaks for you, but Pneuma has said the scriptures are the word of God, but the Bible is not. Do you concur?

Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
PCamps,

We see evidence of God all around us. This produces faith. The scriptures also produce faith.

I still think you, Pneuma and I are struggling with semantics, or at least I'm struggling with understanding your position.

You said Pneuma speaks for you, but Pneuma has said the scriptures are the word of God, but the Bible is not. Do you concur?

Kate
So you do believe that God gives us something to see,rather than just have us blindly believing ?

Where have you got that pneuma speaks for me ? i agree with much of what pneuma has got to say, and like i said to you on another post he puts it across far more eloquently than myself the things that i agree on.

Yes i agree with pneuma's position on the scriptures,but i do not believe that just by picking up the bible and reading it literally you understand the ways ofGod,if this was the case Scribes and Pharisees understood the ways of God.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
PCamps,

Kate
So you agree it is not blind faith , if something you see produces faith ?. There is nothing blind concerning the things of God.

we not looking to the things seen, but to the things not seen; for the things seen are temporary, but the things not seen are age-during. 2 Cor 4:18

We are looking at the things unseen.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yes i agree with pneuma's position on the scriptures, but i do not believe that just by picking up the bible and reading it literally you understand the ways ofGod, if this was the case Scribes and Pharisees understood the ways of God.
So how do you understand the ways of God if not by picking up a Bible and reading it literally?

As for the Scribes and the Pharisees, it wasn't that they didn't understand. It was more that they didn't want to accept Jesus for who He was. Like I told Pneuma in an earlier post today, the Jewish leaders were looking for an earthly king, and an earthly kingdom, one that would be like the kingdom of Solomon in all of its splendor. The scriptures clearly pointed to Jesus, but they refused to accept the lowly, humble Savior. The Scribes and the Pharisees knew the scriptures well. There are many today who are no different. They can quote many a verse, but they really don't know Jesus. They are surface christians only.

The title of the thread is "Should We Read The Bible?" Do you think we should? If so, why? If not, why not?

Katie

Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So you agree it is not blind faith , if something you see produces faith ?. There is nothing blind concerning the things of God.

we not looking to the things seen, but to the things not seen; for the things seen are temporary, but the things not seen are age-during. 2 Cor 4:18

We are looking at the things unseen.
PCamps,

I'm not avoiding your question, but it is off topic. We can talk about faith in another thread if you'd like. Actually, I wish you would start a thread on this subject. I think it would be very interesting, and we could all learn from it.

Katie

Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
The title of the thread is "Should We Read The Bible?" Do you think we should? If so, why? If not, why not?
Katie
IF we use the "mind of Christ" as He revealed it by His life and death as the filter through which we spiritually read the Bible . . . then Yes. If you simply carnally read it and take it literally without asking WWJD . . . then it becomes a stumbling block because of the veil of ignorance that is over the reading of the OT.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
IF we use the "mind of Christ" as He revealed it by His life and death as the filter through which we spiritually read the Bible . . . then Yes. If you simply carnally read it and take it literally without asking WWJD . . . then it becomes a stumbling block because of the veil of ignorance that is over the reading of the OT.
How do we use the "mind of Christ" as He revealed it by His life and death?

What is this filter through which we spiritually read the Bible?

And who or what is WWJD?

And are we speaking of the OT only?

Katie

Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
pcamps;23135230]I believe Jesus Christ is the Word of God not the bible.
So to answer you question ......does calling the bible the word of God offend me ? no, you'll just not here me calling it the Word of God.
The Word of God(Jesus Christ) is Life .

If the scriptures are not the word of God, then what was Jesus speaking of when He used the term "word of God" in the scriptures below? And if Jesus could refer to the scriptures as the word of God, shouldn't it be okay for us to do the same? Is it just the word BIBLE you object to?

Matthew 15:16 "he is not to honor his father or his mother. And thus you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition."

Mark 7:13 "thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Apparently Jesus thought the phrase "word of God" applied to more than just Himself.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
So how do you understand the ways of God if not by picking up a Bible and reading it literally?

Katie
He said learn of me and i'm open to that, where as before when i held a dogmatic literal view of the scriptures i wasn't open to anything( even though i thought i was). I have to say this and love me or reject me for it, the day i saw that He is the Savior of All men i saw the scripture in a competely different Light.This I cannot explain why. I no longer read scripture as literal even though much of it may well be, because beyond the literal is where the secrets of the kingdom lay.

Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to us.
But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it. Matt 13:11,16,17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity