Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Conventional Baptismal Ritual Absolutely Necessary?
Yes 11 37.93%
No 16 55.17%
There should be optional methods like by taking an oath. 0 0%
Don't know/no opinion. 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:04 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I am a poor example of a Southern Baptist, but I believe that baptism is a symbol of resurrection and not actually a requirement of salvation. It is an outward sign of acceptance and a signal to the community that you have begun your walk in Christ.

It is important as part of your Christian life and part of Jesus' command that you be a beacon to others, but not a component of salvation.

I voted no because it is not absolutely necessary. Deathbed salvation does not allow for baptism rituals, the thief on the cross was not baptized. It is obviously not essential even if it is commanded.

To save my reputation among fellow baptists I will add this. I believe in total immersion because that is how Jesus was baptized when he gave his testimony to his followers regarding baptism. He commanded us to follow his example and his method was to be baptised in a body of water, not to be splashed by it's water from the bank. I had preacher once who asked if we wanted to be buried 6 feet under or to be left in our bed and have a handful of dirt thrown in our face. A graphic illustration to be sure, but it does make you think about the symbolism involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:40 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
In Mark 16, this reference is about being baptized in and of the Holy Spirit... which in fact is the essence of all Baptism. 16:16 (a)The one who believes and is baptized will be saved, (b) but the one who does not believe will be condemned.

Condemnation comes only by non-belief. **I added the a & b division of text.
I mainly pointed out this verse because the church I came out of quoted this verse along with Acts 2:38 so much along with the other scripture in my post. They all are in agreement that Mark 16 -20 were not in the original manuscripts. They believe that the gifts spoken here ceased with the deaths of the apostles. I questioned them if the original texts could have been lost. They said "no"..So I asked them why they based so much of their doctrine on a verse (16) that they say was not "inspired"..They didn't give me an answer except that I was supposed to ask my husband questions about scripture. As I said, I used to be a member there..I am currently not attending anywhere. I do pray that if God wants me to be part of a weekly worship service with other believers that the Holy Spirit will guide and direct me to where he wants me to be.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Default and where two or more are gathered....

Quote:
I do pray that if God wants me to be part of a weekly worship service with other believers that the Holy Spirit will guide and direct me to where he wants me to be.
I can assure He does... and will. I pray you will find a church family/home.
Joh 4:23 But a time is coming – and now is here – when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such people to be his worshipers.

Cute story...During the tenure of the great orator Henry Ward Beecher, a visiting minister (Beecher’s brother) once substituted for the popular pastor. A large audience had already assembled to hear Beecher, and when the substitute pastor stepped into the pulpit, several disappointed listeners began to move toward the exits. That’s when the minister stood and said loudly, “All who have come here today to worship Henry Ward Beecher may now withdraw from the church. All who have come to worship God keep your seats!”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity