Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,583 times

Advertisements

Is the Walt Disney empire anti-Christian and evil? What do you think?

Walt Disney is EVIL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 01:01 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
First off, Walt Disney has been dead for many years......

Secondly, there were indeed a number of stereotypical depictions throughout Disney stories, from wicked stepmothers to 1890's depictions of the shuckin' and jivin' black man and more.

But why do some people insist that those who are different from them are "evil" and that whose who run businesses who permit those "evil" people to patronize them are "evil businesses"?????

I know it's a cliche, but really... what would Jesus say about this attitude being displayed?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Sheesh Bud!!! Get a life man!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Walt Disney has alway been a man who practiced poorly discernment of the spirit and had witches and magic and free thought ideas that are occultist even Mickey Mouse was a wizard many times .... See Walt Disney did not like the ideas that Christians never seen His shows and stayed away, but the free thought of His show payed no mind the the occult and ignored the discernment of spirit as though they did not exist ....Just like the Harry Potter occult show Christians will stay away if they are properly discern the evil spirits of this natural world ..... Walt Disney was not the antichrist but he did have naturalism occult shows who a natural world may enjoy

Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Walt Disney is EVIL!
The man who wrote the article is an extreme radical. He excuses everyone in the music industry (even Christian artist!) and the film industry of being evil. I stopped reading his articles because I found out so much dirt on him. He is one of the fakest Christians in the world. He doesn't even believe in repentance.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
I don't think he, or the company, is anti-Christian. But I might agree they, and he, are maybe sometimes ignorant or disinterested in what Christians could find offensive.

In most Disney films Christians are essentially absent as are all real religions. (Don Bluth's "American Tail" makes this somewhat clearer as you see Mice celebrating Bar Mitzvah or dying holding rosaries and it did strike me at least as "this is different than Disney.") The first major Christian I can think of in a Disney film was Friar Tuck in the animated Robin Hood, but that was after Disney died. Still they do make some efforts to avoid offending Christians. They changed "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" to make Christians look better as Hugo was fairly anticlerical. I know some object to that and to be honest I'm not sure I know why they wanted to make that novel a cartoon anyway, but it is apparently something they think on at times.

From what I glean Walt Disney was more about a kind-of self-help "follow your dream and think good thoughts" idea. He was staunchly Republican so part of that dream might have been "America and Capitalism", but anyway I think I'm saying more that they're more non-Christian than anti-Christian. And for our non-Christian lurkers that doesn't bother me and I own many Disney films. Just saying there were occasional times, like when the story is set in say Medieval Europe or even 1920s US South, that the tendency of solid religious non-specifity in Disney does start seeming a bit irritating or weird to me. Although in fairness that's kind of just how they do things. Their Medieval Arabs live in a world without Islam, Chinese peasants may live in a world without Buddhism, etc. I think it's a way to avoid controversy, but it does at times feel too "neat" and maybe cowardly.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
My former Southern Baptist pastor thought so and he looked sharply and disapprovingly at the Disney movies we had on our shelf for our children nearly two decades ago as he and his wife were over for dinner.

I personally think it is a waste of time to analyze all this sort of stuff. There are some great lessons in most of the Disney Movies.

Titus I 15Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Walt Disney is EVIL!
I think whoever put up that website might have some mental issues. The things shown as "evil" are not evil at all or just plain silly. Now, excuse me, I'm going to go watch Pirates of the Caribbean again.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I think whoever put up that website might have some mental issues. The things shown as "evil" are not evil at all or just plain silly. Now, excuse me, I'm going to go watch Pirates of the Caribbean again.
Full belly laugh here! Thank you. Something about laughing really is like medicine.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:43 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
My former Southern Baptist pastor thought so and he looked sharply and disapprovingly at the Disney movies we had on our shelf for our children nearly two decades ago as he and his wife were over for dinner.

I personally think it is a waste of time to analyze all this sort of stuff. There are some great lessons in most of the Disney Movies.

Titus I 15Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
Ah, I can't believe I forgot this until you reminded me, but one of my Lutheran pastors led an adult Sunday School series on Gospel in Disney movies some years ago. The idea was to help parents and grandparents identify teaching moments in the movies to help explain Biblical lessons to children. The Lion King for example has many good illustrations to Moses. My pastor used many other examples from Bambi to Fox & the Hound.

My pastor was using a book for reference - I'd give the title, but actually there are several by different authors published at different times and I don't know which one he was using.

Also interesting, Walt was named for his father's good friend, their family pastor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity