Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,256,267 times

Advertisements

For All Answerers
What is the proper Sinners' Prayer to you, specifically -- the words to be used.
When should it be used?

For the Reformed
Does the Sinners' Prayer change after you become a believer?
If so, what are the new words?
How often do you use it?

For Those With an Arminian Bent
When should the Sinners' Prayer be used?
How often should it be used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 AM

481 posts, read 866,501 times
Why a sinners prayer? Why not a prayer of praise and glory given to God our Father in the mighty name of Christ Jesus.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
For All Answerers
What is the proper Sinners' Prayer to you, specifically -- the words to be used.
When should it be used?

For the Reformed
Does the Sinners' Prayer change after you become a believer?
If so, what are the new words?
How often do you use it?

For Those With an Arminian Bent
When should the Sinners' Prayer be used?
How often should it be used?
Well, look in the NT to find the sinner's prayer...

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times
Admit that you have sinned. We all have. (Romans 3:23)

Ask Jesus to forgive you and to change you. (Luke 18:23)

Ask Jesus to come into your heart. (Revelation 3:20)

Accept Jesus by faith. Trust Him to save you. (Romans 10:3)

If you would like to make peace with God pray this prayer:

Dear God, thank you for sending Jesus to die on the cross to pay for my sin debt. I ask you for your forgiveness. I invite you Jesus into my heart. Please save me now. Thank you for saving me. I trust you with all my heart. In your Name I pray, Amen.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,512,306 times
What about those who are neither Reformed, Arminius or Calvinist?

What is the point of the OP...
to question that total forgiveness from God is free just for the asking and trusting in that promise from God?
or
that the "sinners" prayer if very heavily "I" laden, thus coming to faith \ remaining in faith the responsibility of "I" resulting coming to faith \ remaining in faith a work\gift of man rather than a work\gift of God?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM

To be fair...

I do think that generally speaking people who say such a prayer are coming from the belief that total forgiveness from God is free just for the asking and trusting in that promise from God.
I know of many people who are already guilt ridden and for the person to genuinely pray this already has had the gift from God occure in them despite whether it is correctly reconized by the person who spoke it.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM

And I realize this will sound like I'm a fence sitter...

but with that said, from a theological standard..the "sinners prayer" is laden with "I" when one compares it with this:
“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
and what did Jesus proclaim:
“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,467,522 times
This practice is fairly new. it has no historical validity within the body. However, i am sure it has helped many. but, it is used to turn bad people good church goers. God is not intrested in making church goers.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,256,267 times
This was a serious question. Really. The idea of a sinners' prayer is not something I have been taught, so I wondered about it and asked you here what you know about it.

I have been a believer just days under 49 years, but the church I had attended when I became a believer did not use what I assume is the "sinners' prayer." There, at age 14, I was like what I am presently listening to: "saved and lost and saved and lost. Saved on Sunday and usually lost around Monday afternoon" [Radmacher, 1990].

Some years ago, however, I accepted the idea commonly referred to as Reformed, so the foundation of my questions expanded from the idea of a "sinners' prayer" and whether or not it could be beneficial to me on a daily basis.

I admit it: I forget to ask daily for forgiveness. I hoped that I could get an idea of all the uses of the "sinners' prayer" while, especially, learning what I should be doing daily. I still think you have something i can learn about this.

Thank you!!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
This practice is fairly new. it has no historical validity within the body. However, i am sure it has helped many. but, it is used to turn bad people good church goers. God is not intrested in making church goers.
Sinner's Prayer?...There is none...What was the Jailer told when he asked, 'What must I do to be saved?'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity