Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 PM

69 posts, read 111,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Well show me a CHRISTIAN church that does it. I cannot find a single CHRISTIAN church that does.

Any church that does of course is not CHRISTIAN so you can't show me one now can you!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,398,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4DL View Post
Jesus did not say it. God sent a message to Peter that he gives us an account of and Paul said Jesus taught it to him. Read what Paul had to say about the dietary laws being done away with.
I seem to remember someone in the bible saying to not let other believers judge you for eating a certain food, sure. What about all the other stuff?

Quote:
Not sure what you were responding to in the remainder of your post so I will not comment on it.
I was pointing out that if the New Testament is the final word on what's acceptable and what isn't, then remarriage should not be deemed acceptable in most cases. Yet, it gets a pass. But gay marriage (which isn't even a sin, only associated with one) is wrong?

It boils down to a simple question: If not prejudice, what keeps the so-called "Christians" irate about gay marriage but relatively silent about remarriage?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:12 PM

69 posts, read 111,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I seem to remember someone in the bible saying to not let other believers judge you for eating a certain food, sure. What about all the other stuff?

I was pointing out that if the New Testament is the final word on what's acceptable and what isn't, then remarriage should not be deemed acceptable in most cases. Yet, it gets a pass. But gay marriage (which isn't even a sin, only associated with one) is wrong?

It boils down to a simple question: If not prejudice, what keeps the so-called "Christians" irate about gay marriage but relatively silent about remarriage?
The bible is pretty clear on when someone is free to remarry. I know there are some groups out there that claim to be Christian that don't follow the bible but most Christians at least try.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The bible is pretty clear on when someone is free to remarry.
Yes, if your spouse was the one who left you, or you left your spouse because they were guilty of fornication. Yet there has been no pressure put on the system from Christians to ensure that people who don't meet these criteria don't get remarried (the first would be particularly easy to accomplish), while there is a TON of effort put into keeping gays from getting married. Where do they summon this extra passion with which to oppose gay marriage? From within. From the prejudice they personally serve with more zeal than they do the bible.

Quote:
I know there are some groups out there that claim to be Christian that don't follow the bible but most Christians at least try.
Just like most gays probably try to fall in line when it comes to heterosexuality. But, just like so many people who get remarried even though the bible explicitly forbids it (for them), homosexuals give up in this fighting. Yet Christians protest only against gay marriage. The question is, why?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 5,366 times
if you are a god fearing pastor preaching the word of god - there is NO same sex marriages. evil is this world will soon be over. God is angry that his word is trying to be changed by man. heaven and earth shall pass away saith the lord our god but my words will stand forever ...be blessed

Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Yes, if your spouse was the one who left you, or you left your spouse because they were guilty of fornication. Yet there has been no pressure put on the system from Christians to ensure that people who don't meet these criteria don't get remarried (the first would be particularly easy to accomplish), while there is a TON of effort put into keeping gays from getting married. Where do they summon this extra passion with which to oppose gay marriage? From within. From the prejudice they personally serve with more zeal than they do the bible.

Just like most gays probably try to fall in line when it comes to heterosexuality. But, just like so many people who get remarried even though the bible explicitly forbids it (for them), homosexuals give up in this fighting. Yet Christians protest only against gay marriage. The question is, why?
Easy. They are focusing on the sexual practice of gay people, which skeeves them. And then they can't stop thinking about it. Therefore, they feel they must do something proactive in order to banish it from their heads. Sort of like the archdeacon who is lusting after Esmeralda and then decides the way he feels and what he's thinking must be because SHE is evil. Thinking about heterosexuals who were married before getting married to someone else is ho-hum in comparison.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypp View Post
God is angry that his word is trying to be changed by man.
Interesting choice of words, because believers have changed "his word" a great deal more than nonbelievers (Look at how many versions of the bible there are!). Nonbelievers simply don't believe "his word".

Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,817,788 times
Quote:
Interesting choice of words, because believers have changed "his word" a great deal more than nonbelievers (Look at how many versions of the bible there are!). Nonbelievers simply don't believe "his word".
I think the correct term is "translations".

Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think the correct term is "translations".
Hehe, of course! And thanks to all these different translations, a man can choose who's guilty of adultery when he divorces his wife for some reason other than sexual immorality/fornication.

Matthew 5:32

Preferred for men
KJV
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Preferred for women
NIV
32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,817,788 times
Quote:
Hehe, of course! And thanks to all these different translations, a man can choose who's guilty of adultery when he divorces his wife for some reason other than sexual immorality/fornication.

Matthew 5:32

Preferred for men
KJV
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Preferred for women
NIV
32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

I don't see much difference here. God hates divorce. His is the only opinion that matters. Where'd you copy and paste that one from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity