Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You knowingly posted Jewish law as Christianity. You also are aware that Jesus fulfilled the Law's requirements.
"the Law" is very vague. Where did Jesus say "Nevermind" each of the things I listed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You were doing much better when you asked why Christians don't condemn other sins with the veracity of homosexuality. Stick with that.
That's what I was doing. I thought I had made that pretty clear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
thanks for all the replies in this thread.

having looked over the posts it really does seem that same-sex marriage is NOT possible within a true Christian church.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
If I'm to take your single team's logic into consideration, the rest of you should take the following into consideration as well:

Define Arsenokoites - This word NEVER referred to homosexuals in ancient usage.
where to even begin with this nonsense??

I've read through that link and it has more holes in it than a sieve.

one section says this:

Quote:
Define arsenokoites. Origin, Exposition on Proverbs 7.74. The context is lusts contrary to nature, which indicates nonprocreative heterosexual sex. Historically, the phrase contrary to nature refers to nonprocreative sexual activity between men and women, not homosexuality.
so who decides on this then?

contrary to nature - seems fairly clear what this is referring to , ie: homosexuality.

what do you say to this?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM

717 posts, read 648,035 times
Only in your opinion.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

one section says this:

contrary to nature - seems fairly clear what this is referring to , ie: homosexuality.

what do you say to this?
I say you must be relieved you were able to find one section (out of well over 23) you could provide a direct argument against,

that the point is simply that the word "arsenokoites" historically never referred to consensual homosexual acts between committed adults,

and that I notice you deleted the other two links I provided in the post you quoted before replying.

Saying "contrary to nature" must be referring to homosexuality specifically is quite a leap, as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 PM

whose opinion that the words 'contrary to nature' means hetero non-procreative intercourse?

seems to be the opinion of Origen.

from wikipedia:
Quote:
Origen ( /ˈɒrɪən/; Greek: Ὠριγένης ŌrigĂ©nēs), or Origen Adamantius (184/185 – 253/254),[1] was an early ChristianAlexandrian scholar and theologian, and one of the most distinguished writers of the early Church. As early as the fourth century, his orthodoxy was suspect, largely because he believed in the pre-existence of souls and apokatastasis, or universal reconciliation, ideas acknowledged to be beyond the pale of Christianity.[2

Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 PM

717 posts, read 648,035 times
Quote:
where to even begin with this nonsense??

one section says this:

what do you say to this?
You are looking at the passage through 20thC eyes. No-one in that time thought homosexuality was contrary to nature because the idea of 'natural law' took another 1000 years to develop. I would argue (and here I am informed by Boswell) that for Paul' nature' was not a question of universal truth but rather a matter of the character of a person or group. Paul argues that Jews are Jews by nature just as Gentiles are such by their nature. [Gal 2:15]; [Romans 2:27]

For Paul then nature is not a moral force. Indeed when Paul uses 'nature' it is never in the abstract but it is always someone's nature. [ Gal 4:18]

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I say you must be relieved you were able to find one section (out of well over 23) you could provide a direct argument against,
not so , as I actually said: 'where to even begin with this nonsense?'

I just gave one example out of many - some of which I will dig up later.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
whose opinion that the words 'contrary to nature' means hetero non-procreative intercourse?

seems to be the opinion of Origen.

from wikipedia:
Okay, what is this nonsense? Throw whatever point you're trying to make in with what you're typing from now on, please.

Quote:
I just gave one example out of many - some of which I will dig up later.
Save it, unless you're going to show exactly where in history "arsenokoites" ever meant homosexuals.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
Romans 2:1

1 No matter who you are, if you judge anyone, you have no excuse. When you judge another person, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things.
Romans 2:1 (GW)
Joh 7:24 Do not judge according to sight, but judge righteous judgment.[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity