Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times

Advertisements

I've been contemplating getting a set of songs together and setting up in the local public park downtown (I play guitar and sing) which the focus on spreading the Biblical Word and Gospel message. First do you think this is a good approach? Second what type of songs do you think would be good to learn to do something like this.

One thing that's amazing about the Bible, is that there is not a lack of things to say in between songs.

This could work in a way in which people could be drawn in to receive information about the Bible, Creation Science, and the Gospel.

thoughts...

Last edited by Mikelee81; 08-25-2012 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Try this one

Chuck Wagon Gang - In the sweet by and by - YouTube

Old 08-25-2012, 01:16 PM

173 posts, read 135,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I've been contemplating getting a set of songs together and setting up in the local public park downtown (I play guitar and sing) which the focus on spreading the Biblical Word and Gospel message. First do you think this is a good approach? Second what type of songs do you think would be good to learn to do something like this.

One thing that's amazing about the Bible, is that there is not a lack of things to say in between songs.

This could work in a way in which people could be drawn in to receive information about the Bible, Creation Science, and the Gospel.

thoughts...
I have seen it done a few times over the years. One thing I do remember that was not effective was a group set up in the shopping center parking lot that all the teenagers drove through and parked in on the weekend's. They were singing Southern Gospel type songs and it was made fun off and kids would crank up their car stereos to try and drown them out. I also saw a group on the beach in Florida once that drew a large crowd every day buy singing well known songs but changing the lyrics to present some kind of gospel message. I remember they did "Amazing Grace" to the music of "House of the Rising Sun". The song by the group Grand Funk Railroad (70's) called "Some Kind of Wonderful" went from singing "talkin bout my baby" to "talkin bout my Jesus".

I would think it depends on your audience. In some settings old hymns might work well.

Have you seen any of the people who go out often with a video camera and ask people if they can name the 10 commandments and "do you thing your a good person" then ask them if they ever told a lie, took something that did not belong to them, etc. I have seen that work or at least they were able to get people engaged in an conversation. And after all that's what you want to accomplish. Get them listening.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
I have seen it done a few times over the years. One thing I do remember that was not effective was a group set up in the shopping center parking lot that all the teenagers drove through and parked in on the weekend's. They were singing Southern Gospel type songs and it was made fun off and kids would crank up their car stereos to try and drown them out. I also saw a group on the beach in Florida once that drew a large crowd every day buy singing well known songs but changing the lyrics to present some kind of gospel message. I remember they did "Amazing Grace" to the music of "House of the Rising Sun". The song by the group Grand Funk Railroad (70's) called "Some Kind of Wonderful" went from singing "talkin bout my baby" to "talkin bout my Jesus".

I would think it depends on your audience. In some settings old hymns might work well.

Have you seen any of the people who go out often with a video camera and ask people if they can name the 10 commandments and "do you thing your a good person" then ask them if they ever told a lie, took something that did not belong to them, etc. I have seen that work or at least they were able to get people engaged in an conversation. And after all that's what you want to accomplish. Get them listening.
Well the idea was to set up an area to where people get information regarding the Scriptures, Creation Science, etc.. Certain facts could be stated regarding Creation Science, the Bible etc, and people could be drawn into receive more information.

Dr. Dino.com actually helps people get set up for a Creation Science ministry of sorts as they have all sorts of things to set up an attraction of sorts. Some have Creation Museums which I think is great and I was thinking along the lines of a miniature setup to get people thinking. The idea I guess would be to hopefully get people to start asking questions in their own mind, and have the resources available to follow up.

Reducing confrontations/conflict/debates would be the idea. Keep the Peace. Getting people to think not forceful conversions. A non confrontational tone.

I just don't feel comfortable confronting people walking up to them "have you broke one of the ten commandments" .... you need to repent because..., etc. It just don't feel right to me.

I think a better approach is to discuss the general theme of the Scriptures, provide the materials, and let the people make the decision for themselves being drawn by the Holy Spirit.

City parks (or small town central parks) seem like a good place to set up. If it's peacefully done, there should be no problem.

Just trying to share the faith. I don't think I'd use secular music though to draw them in.

A couple songs..

are you washed in the blood of the lamb

Oh Lord my God

Jesus/Joshua Fought the Battle at Jericho

Walk that lonesome Valley

Maybe done in a little different style than at church. finger picking, upbeat, etc..

I don't want to make a sideshow circus of the event, but use the music to help draw people in. Just something I've been thinking about.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Good one

Keep them coming..

Peace in the Valley is a good one too I've been working on

78s - Peace In The Valley - Red Foley - YouTube

I like the old traditional songs. Maybe a bluegrass style for some of it. Not a big fan of the newer contemporary Christian music. Some of it is alright.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:16 PM

173 posts, read 135,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Well the idea was to set up an area to where people get information regarding the Scriptures, Creation Science, etc.. Certain facts could be stated regarding Creation Science, the Bible etc, and people could be drawn into receive more information.

Dr. Dino.com actually helps people get set up for a Creation Science ministry of sorts as they have all sorts of things to set up an attraction of sorts. Some have Creation Museums which I think is great and I was thinking along the lines of a miniature setup to get people thinking. The idea I guess would be to hopefully get people to start asking questions in their own mind, and have the resources available to follow up.

Reducing confrontations/conflict/debates would be the idea. Keep the Peace. Getting people to think not forceful conversions. A non confrontational tone.

I just don't feel comfortable confronting people walking up to them "have you broke one of the ten commandments" .... you need to repent because..., etc. It just don't feel right to me.

I think a better approach is to discuss the general theme of the Scriptures, provide the materials, and let the people make the decision for themselves being drawn by the Holy Spirit.

City parks (or small town central parks) seem like a good place to set up. If it's peacefully done, there should be no problem.

Just trying to share the faith. I don't think I'd use secular music though to draw them in.

A couple songs..

are you washed in the blood of the lamb

Oh Lord my God

Jesus/Joshua Fought the Battle at Jericho

Walk that lonesome Valley

Maybe done in a little different style than at church. finger picking, upbeat, etc..

I don't want to make a sideshow circus of the event, but use the music to help draw people in. Just something I've been thinking about.
I am a big fan of sharing the FACTS about CREATION and showing the REAL SCIENCE that support a young earth and the universal flood. Wonderful ministry! Thanks for being willing to take it to the streets.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

By Your Side (Acoustic) - Tenth Avenue North - YouTube

Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I learned to play guitar singing and playing with friends at my church. We eventually performed for various churches around the County and had a great time. My now deceased father-in-law played the piano. Many times we played until the early morning hours but we always ended our sessions with "Amazing Grace."

Although I was once offered the opportunity to play with a co-worker in the French Quarters of New Orleans, I never had the nerve to take my meager talent to the very critical secular world. There are many beautiful gospel songs that would draw a local crowd but one one newer tune that I really like right now is this one. I believe it could be done well with a guitar:

My Heart Knows by CRIST FAMILY - YouTube

Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Oops! Sorry but I didn't read where you like traditional music and possibly some bluegrass. Here's a few we used to have fun with:

I'LL FLY AWAY by CHARLEY PRIDE - YouTube

Jim Reeves - This World is not my home - YouTube

Allison Krauss & Union Station - Heaven's Bright Shore - YouTube

Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Oops! Sorry but I didn't read where you like traditional music and possibly some bluegrass. Here's a few we used to have fun with:

I'LL FLY AWAY by CHARLEY PRIDE - YouTube

Jim Reeves - This World is not my home - YouTube

Allison Krauss & Union Station - Heaven's Bright Shore - YouTube

All excellent! Allison Krauss sure has a perdy voice.

Keep em coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity