Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times

Advertisements

I think that the Lord, in His mercy and wisdom, is aware that said person is not in their right mind. Not necessarily insane; but unable to cope and is distraught to the point of no return. He knows our weaknesses and our failings.
I do not think the Lord automatically sends people to hell for suicide.
JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
He did. One Gospel version reports that, if not more. How else would someone do it back then? No pills to overdose with, no tall bridges, and no guns ...
Put out the Scriptures that state Judas actually committed suicide...

Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In that era drinking Hemlock was a common method of suicide. Other common methods were falling forward onto ones sword. Letting a venomous snake bite you, jumping off a cliff, etc.

I have found very few references of hanging being used as a method of suicide in ancient times. In fact I find only 2 possible references to suicide by hanging. Absalom's servant Ahithophel.and Judas.
The reference to hanging oneself may be a hebraic idiom and not literal...

Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Put out the Scriptures that state Judas actually committed suicide...
One of the 4 Gospels refers to hanging. Another one said that he went away and "it was dark" +/-. The other 2 I don't remember. I'm not into Scripture much these days, since my indoctrination was longer than I wanted it to be.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
So, is suicide a sin or not? Are "early outs" allowed?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
So, is suicide a sin or not? Are "early outs" allowed?
I don't know. I guess we'll never know.
The reason I penned this thread is:
1) Tony Scott and his jump off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in LA Harbor
2) the kid that went to HS with me for whom it was "swept under the rug"
3) the many movie stars who used drugs and/or alcohol excessively, which eventually killed them (Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Anna Nicole Smith and, yes, even 28 y.o. Heath Ledger). What I'd like to ask is that if people abuse substances, they KNOW this could cause death, so weren't their deaths essentially suicides, too? It's a fine line, isn't it?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
By the end of his life he didn't have faith. He is not refered to as one of the men of faith.

Matthew 27:5
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

(KJV) And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
The Greek word translated "hanged himself" is the word apanchomai which is used in Greek literature to mean choking or squeezing one's self as with great emotion or grief. In English we have a similar expression when we say that someone is "all choked up." We do not mean that they have died. We mean that they are overcome with emotion. Judas cast down the pieces of silver in the temple and left doubling himself over with grief. Perhaps Judas had hoped that his betrayal of Jesus Christ for thirty pieces of silver would result in action to re-establish the kingdom under leadership of the Christ. When he saw that Jesus Christ was condemned to death he was overwhelmed with emotional hurt and he came and threw the thirty pieces of silver down in the temple and left doubled over with grief. - Judas' Death

The rest of this study on that website makes a little more sense...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
One of the 4 Gospels refers to hanging. Another one said that he went away and "it was dark" +/-. The other 2 I don't remember. I'm not into Scripture much these days, since my indoctrination was longer than I wanted it to be.
What indoctrination?...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Greek word translated "hanged himself" is the word apanchomai which is used in Greek literature to mean choking or squeezing one's self as with great emotion or grief. In English we have a similar expression when we say that someone is "all choked up." We do not mean that they have died. We mean that they are overcome with emotion. Judas cast down the pieces of silver in the temple and left doubling himself over with grief. Perhaps Judas had hoped that his betrayal of Jesus Christ for thirty pieces of silver would result in action to re-establish the kingdom under leadership of the Christ. When he saw that Jesus Christ was condemned to death he was overwhelmed with emotional hurt and he came and threw the thirty pieces of silver down in the temple and left doubled over with grief. - Judas' Death

The rest of this study on that website makes a little more sense...
yeah , yeah right ....
If you want to believe that Judas choke and squeezed himself so much out of grief "that he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out".... but didn't kill himself then go right ahead.

Waisted enough time ......

Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
yeah , yeah right ....
If you want to believe that Judas choke and squeezed himself so much out of grief "that he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out".... but didn't kill himself then go right ahead.

Waisted enough time ......
Just thought how could a person who hangs himself "that he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out"

That sounds more like what happens in the traditional Roman Suicide when the person hold his sword to his stomach aimed up under his rib cage then falls forward onto his sword.

I'm just confused, I can not understand how that could happen if a person hangs himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity