Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

Many Americans have little knowledge of the Mormon church. As Mitt Romney is a high priest in the Mormon church and is asking for our vote we owe it to ourselves to learn a bit about Mormonism. I really don't care if they wear weird underwear or aluminum foil hats to bed. What does concern me, as it should you, is the way Mormonism treats women.

The Role of Women in Mormonism

Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I don't care one way or the other. If they treat women so poorly, then the women can leave the church. This is America...you don't have to belong to any church.

I understand that the FLDS wing of the church is a bit different....i DO have a problem with that because the women are forced into the church whether they want to be or not.

But the mainstream Mormon church? Not my concern. If you sign up for poor treatment by any organization, then that's your business.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM

876 posts, read 709,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Many Americans have little knowledge of the Mormon church. As Mitt Romney is a high priest in the Mormon church and is asking for our vote we owe it to ourselves to learn a bit about Mormonism. I really don't care if they wear weird underwear or aluminum foil hats to bed. What does concern me, as it should you, is the way Mormonism treats women.

If the main arguement of this work is that Mormons are more accepting of and some practice Polygamy, then isn't it important to see that Romney does not practice this? His grandfather did. But, if you have a problem with the fact that two generations ago, Romney is linked gentetically to a polygamist....then how do you feel about obama's father being a polygamist as well?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
If the main arguement of this work is that Mormons are more accepting of and some practice Polygamy, then isn't it important to see that Romney does not practice this? His grandfather did. But, if you have a problem with the fact that two generations ago, Romney is linked gentetically to a polygamist....then how do you feel about obama's father being a polygamist as well?
And? What is the difference between polygamy and radical Islamic beheadings and stoning of women? The Polygamist treat their multiple wives better and the DNC ignores the stoning of Muslim women all over the globe. Most Mormons do not embrace polygamy and that is a know fact. Obama's father was a polygamist and obama is genetically linked to him. Was it a problem in 08...obviously not for you supporters. I don't care what the Mormon church teaches, it is a peaceful religion and a good people on a whole. I will vote for the Mormon,,,,not the moron. This is about the economy, not religion.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:

Why are you not outraged over the treatment of women by Muslim men? Is this religion more desirable because the president has sympathy for them and embraces them? Egypt just called on Muslim men to "beat their wives" to get them to submit more. How progressive is this? I am not the one with the tinfoil hat.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Well blacks are doing much better by Mormons then, aren't they? I mean they finally allowed blacks to become priests in 1978.
http://www.pbs.org/mormons/faqs/controversies.html#6
You've come along way, baby!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Doesn't this belong over in religion?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
I don't care about either candidate's religion. I didn't care 1960 when Kennedy was a Catholic, in 1968 when Nixon was a Quaker, in 2008 when Obama was rumored to be Muslim/atheist, or all the other years when we had a garden variety Christians. Why would I suddenly care in 2012? Our nation was founded on freedom of religion, that means it is not supposed to matter.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Yawn

Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:

I'm a Mormon woman, donsabi. How am I treated, according to your sources?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity