Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM

173 posts, read 135,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Mormon woman, donsabi. How am I treated, according to your sources?
I was once married to a Mormon woman. Still married to the same woman. And I have a co-worker who's a Mormon woman.

I recall the day's of my wife going to Relief Society meetings and learning how to make patterns from scratch and things of that nature.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
You will find the Bible version of the role of women printed in many religions and in many christian religions. The way of life women actually live today regardless of the printed or historical documents of the religions in America is a reflection of religious and personnel freedoms of women. You see women of all religions in all aspects of American life today. So I do not think we can downgrade women just because of the religion she was born into or joined.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Many Americans have little knowledge of the Mormon church. As Mitt Romney is a high priest in the Mormon church and is asking for our vote we owe it to ourselves to learn a bit about Mormonism. I really don't care if they wear weird underwear or aluminum foil hats to bed. What does concern me, as it should you, is the way Mormonism treats women.

The Role of Women in Mormonism
The last sentence of this account is disturbing, but so is the whole article.

Here's what I'd like to know. What if Bif and Buffy from BYU, while boyfriend and girlfriend, went to the Sheraton or Hilton in SLC, partook in fine dining, hit the pool and the jacuzzi, and then did THE DEED. Do they go to a lower tier of heaven? It's not like they're going to make their interlude public knowledge, jeopardizing a "sealed" marriage. There is NO way that everyone who is LDS leaves a huge school such as BYU with his/her virginity intact.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The last sentence of this account is disturbing, but so is the whole article.
This sentence?
Quote:
Men and women cannot truly become equal in the church, for the basic tenets of Mormonism are so fraught with sexism that equality would change the religion beyond recognition.
Of course it's disturbing. It's supposed to be disturbing. It's an anti-Mormon article, for crying out loud. It's meant to be bought into, hook, line and sinker, by the gullible religious bigots of the world. And you believe every word of it. Why am I not the slightest bit surprised?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
I'll tell you how my husband (an LDS High Priest ) treats me... like pure gold.

He's 70, I'm 64. We've been married for 42 years. From the very beginning of our marriage, he has done at least 50% of the housework, cooking, laundry and grocery shopping. (It's actually close to 70%, but I'm kind of ashamed to admit it. ) Together we raised two children (now ages 32 and 30). We have always had a joint checking account and make financial decisions together (on any major purchases). On less expensive items (golf clubs for him, clothes for me), we do our own thing, and neither of us resents the other's expenditures in the slightest. We are both college grads, and I was an IT professional for over 30 years. Now we're both retired. I like to sleep in later than my husband does, so he usually gets up, walks the dog, throws a load of laundry in to wash or something like that until I crawl out of bed. My husband is the kindest, most caring, patient man in the world. I admit, our marriage is better than a great many, but I don't know of very many Mormon women whose lives are significantly different from mine. Some have more children, but we only wanted two. Some didn't work outside the home, but that's a choice they made, not a choice that was made for them. Pardon me for putting it so bluntly, but this whole thread is absolutely idiotic.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
I think that this whole thread is crazy. I'm a Jew and there are extremists in my religion that believe that the women need to be subservient, cover their hair and are second class citizens.

My wife is a Protestant and the extremists in her religion think that all of the other churches are false, women need to be submissive and do all of the house work.

My wife knows LDS people and none of the women seem oppressed. They seem happy. Their husbands treat them well.

I really don't care what religion the President is. Is Obama really a Christian? Is Romney a good Mormon? That is between them and God.

And I'm not God. But I am an American voter and I am voting for the person based on policies and ideas not where the pray or what church , temple or mosque they attend.

This is all nonsense to me. There are also Catholics, Fundamentalist Christians and Ultra Orthodox Jews who take the "Be fruitful and multiply" thing seriously. Extremism is all the same/

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
This sentence?
Of course it's disturbing. It's supposed to be disturbing. It's an anti-Mormon article, for crying out loud. It's meant to be bought into, hook, line and sinker, by the gullible religious bigots of the world. And you believe every word of it. Why am I not the slightest bit surprised?
What about Biff and Buffy at the hotel in SLC? Please don't tell me that the virginity rate at BYU, and in the Temple's marriages, is 100%. In Catholic and main-line Christian religions, I'd put the consummation rate at about 80+% before marriage. I hardly think this is a reason for dire consequences in the afterlife.

Traditional roles are more pronounced in your faith than most other common Judeo-Christian religions in this country, and in the modern world. I don't think there's any doubt about that. In fact, when your city elected a woman mayor named Corradini (sp), she was NOT LDS. I'll bet some Mormon women secretly hit the Corradini button instead of voting for the opposing Mormon male, assuming that's what he was, which is what "the family" consensus probably was.

While I am sure there are some more progressive marriages in your faith, I would venture to say that, by 2012 standards, many are not.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-06-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Many Americans have little knowledge of the Mormon church. As Mitt Romney is a high priest in the Mormon church and is asking for our vote we owe it to ourselves to learn a bit about Mormonism. I really don't care if they wear weird underwear or aluminum foil hats to bed. What does concern me, as it should you, is the way Mormonism treats women.

The Role of Women in Mormonism
Actually, I think people have more knowledge than what the OP gives credit for.

Personally I don't like this because I don't think those who are for Romney and are Mormon women should have to defend themselves when there are plenty of other elected officals who are also Mormon that do not have to answer about such concerns of the role of women in Mormonism.

In this particular situation.. whose to say that such a spotlite is being perpetrated because someone really wants to see Obama win and so is digging up "dirt" to smear an opponent?

\\\\\\\ but lets say this is on the up & up \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Lets suppose (for the sake of argument) the link is all true.
How does not voting for Romney help the women in Mormonism out of their situation according to the facts presented by the link's author Jessica Longaker?

If one wants to be concerned out of love for those in Mormonism from a spiritual aspect that is one thing.. but to use this for political purposes for not voting for Romney is not helpful to the women's role in Mormonism if one actually is concerned.

In this case... those who would object to linking the role of women in Mormonism for a reason to not vote for Romney should feel offended.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
If the main arguement of this work is that Mormons are more accepting of and some practice Polygamy, then isn't it important to see that Romney does not practice this? His grandfather did. But, if you have a problem with the fact that two generations ago, Romney is linked gentetically to a polygamist....then how do you feel about obama's father being a polygamist as well?
Polygamy may be illeagal in this country but it is not a sin in the eyes of HaShem...

Last edited by Richard1965; 09-07-2012 at 05:45 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
I'll tell you how my husband (an LDS High Priest ) treats me... like pure gold.

He's 70, I'm 64. We've been married for 42 years. From the very beginning of our marriage, he has done at least 50% of the housework, cooking, laundry and grocery shopping. (It's actually close to 70%, but I'm kind of ashamed to admit it. ) Together we raised two children (now ages 32 and 30). We have always had a joint checking account and make financial decisions together (on any major purchases). On less expensive items (golf clubs for him, clothes for me), we do our own thing, and neither of us resents the other's expenditures in the slightest. We are both college grads, and I was an IT professional for over 30 years. Now we're both retired. I like to sleep in later than my husband does, so he usually gets up, walks the dog, throws a load of laundry in to wash or something like that until I crawl out of bed. My husband is the kindest, most caring, patient man in the world. I admit, our marriage is better than a great many, but I don't know of very many Mormon women whose lives are significantly different from mine. Some have more children, but we only wanted two. Some didn't work outside the home, but that's a choice they made, not a choice that was made for them. Pardon me for putting it so bluntly, but this whole thread is absolutely idiotic.
Have you ever noticed, it seems to be the people who do not have first hand experiences with something but have read something about something and actually believe it has to be true because they read it somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity