Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM

419 posts, read 435,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Read it again please many make this mistake...

"All scripture IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD" - 2Tim.3:16

(((NOT, 'Scripture IS THE INSPIRIED WORD OF GOD')))

Yes....please read it again. Scripture is the very word of God. Yes--he used men to write it, but he most definitely made sure that what was written down was his word.

"...and is God-breathed"

And Hebrews 4:12

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Mike: Most of what you have there is clearly taught in the Bible, but some are not. So you are in fact accusing others of doing things that others can clearly point out that you have erred.

In other threads I've made it clear that believers can and do fall away and lose their salvation. Also, the New Testament does not make clear that there will be a millenial kingdom. Jesus clearly taught that when He comes again, that will be the last day, the final judgment and the end of this world.
agreed.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
A good number of those things mentioned are irrelevant.

What is relevant can be summed up below.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.-
It really all comes down to this

Everything else people want to waste time and energy arguing about is just silly, misguided and ego-driven

Old 09-18-2012, 02:54 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
A good number of those things mentioned are irrelevant.

What is relevant can be summed up below.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.-
No part of the Word of God is irrelevant. The believer's spiritual growth depends upon learning and applying the Word of God to his life. God leaves the believer on this earth after salvation for the purpose of growing spiritually.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No part of the Word of God is irrelevant. The believer's spiritual growth depends upon learning and applying the Word of God to his life. God leaves the believer on this earth after salvation for the purpose of growing spiritually.
Any and all who follow the "precepts and doctrines" of your mentors will remain stagnated in the misinterpreted ancient ignorance of our ancestors. There can be no spiritual development or maturity when the dogma is unalterable and rote. Maturity requires growth and change from childish things.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Mike: Most of what you have there is clearly taught in the Bible, but some are not. So you are in fact accusing others of doing things that others can clearly point out that you have erred.

In other threads I've made it clear that believers can and do fall away and lose their salvation. Also, the New Testament does not make clear that there will be a millenial kingdom. Jesus clearly taught that when He comes again, that will be the last day, the final judgment and the end of this world.
This is an example of adhering to a theological system (Luthernism) instead of bothering to learn and understand what the Bible actually says regarding the believer's eternal security. Luthernism also denies that there will be an earthly Millennial kingdom. The Bible is completely clear concerning the Millennium.

Luthernism is Biblically unsound in the matter of the believer's eternal security and of the future Millennial kingdom.

But you choose to believe Luthernism instead of the Bible. That is your choice. But you are in error. And since I have gone over the believer's eternal security with you on another thread, to no avail, it will not be gone into here. You have simply demonstrated the point of the original post.

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-18-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Any and all who follow the "precepts and doctrines" of your mentors will remain stagnated in the misinterpreted ancient ignorance of our ancestors. There can be no spiritual development or maturity when the dogma is unalterable and rote. Maturity requires growth and change from childish things.
Yep

Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM

27 posts, read 27,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It really all comes down to this

Everything else people want to waste time and energy arguing about is just silly, misguided and ego-driven
If your "Christianity" is all about saving yourself by using the name of Jesus Christ like a magic Get Out of Hell card, leave me out, thank you very much. My Christianity is not about saving oneself but about helping others in need. You do that, and heaven takes care of itself. But if you think Christianity is just about repeating words somebody told you to say without your following through with acts of compassion I don't think you got the Message. Or perhaps better stated you did get the message but not Jesus' but Paul's.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmessenger View Post
If your "Christianity" is all about saving yourself by using the name of Jesus Christ like a magic Get Out of Hell card, leave me out, thank you very much. My Christianity is not about saving oneself but about helping others in need. You do that, and heaven takes care of itself. But if you think Christianity is just about repeating words somebody told you to say without your following through with acts of compassion I don't think you got the Message. Or perhaps better stated you did get the message but not Jesus' but Paul's.
I'm all about Jesus my friend

Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmessenger View Post
That is a personal belief which is contrary to what the Bible teaches. It is a distortion of the gospel. Acts of compassion do not earn you salvation. Eternal life is not earned, but is received as a free gift through non-meritorious faith in Christ (Eph. 2:8-9). Acts of compassion are part of the spiritual life after salvation. Not the means of obtaining eternal salvation. Anything added to faith alone for eternal salvation is works. Works based salvation is legalism and is antithetical to grace (Rom. 11:6).

Your statement which implies that Paul's teachings contradicted what Christ taught is also not backed up by Scripture. Your statement shows that you fail to understand that to Paul it was given to communicate doctrine pertaining to the Church (Col. 1:25-27). Whereas Jesus' message mostly concerned the Kingdom, Paul's epistles concerned the present Church Age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity