Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
You know what, never mind.

1 Timothy 6:3-5 states:

If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

The other day, I started a thread titled "Christian T or F", and the first post I made was about the love of money being the root of all evil. I had to look up the Bible verse where it was located, and in the process I saw the above verses. They hit me square in the face, and made me realize that it is so much of a part of what goes on in these forums. And I just can't be a part of it anymore.

*sigh*

See ya'. I'm hanging it up with the boards. I've gotten caught up in these quarrels and I simply can't, in good conscience, be a part of the boards anymore. I no longer want to be a part of that "unhealthy interest in controversies...."

I know we aren't supposed to make "I'm leaving" threads, so I'm posting this in here. I'm hoping everyone sees it, because otherwise I suspect some people may ask "Where's Rob?". So I'm telling everyone up front that I simply can't do this anymore. Aside from honestly believing that God has told me to stop listening to people, and to stay out of the message forums, I have obstinately forged on ignoring His words, and I can see how detrimental it really is becoming. I have WAY too much to be getting done in my personal life, and I'm neglecting a lot of it. And so much of what I'm reading lately is simply turning my stomach, as well as causing some confusion.

Christians advocating abortion? Honestly, I wonder what the world is coming to.
I will be sorry to see you go, Rob! If this is what you feel led to do, I will not stand in your way, but you will be missed! Maybe you could come back and stay in touch via dm on occasion? I would really love to hear from you and the progress you make!

My love and prayers are with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
Rob, I don't really know you, but I have read some of your posts and it seems that you are a very passionate believer and aren't afraid to share your convictions. May God continue to guide you and bless you in your walk with Him.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
Nothing going on here is meant to be personal, and no where does it say that we will all agree with eachother. I admire your conviction in your beliefs, but in turn don't you think you should admire the conviction of beliefs in others, even if you don't agree with them? If you can't do that then you will always be frustrated and angry around here...so maybe you do need a break until you can figure that part out. Good luck to you.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:38 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:

If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

The other day, I started a thread titled "Christian T or F", and the first post I made was about the love of money being the root of all evil. I had to look up the Bible verse where it was located, and in the process I saw the above verses. They hit me square in the face, and made me realize that it is so much of a part of what goes on in these forums. And I just can't be a part of it anymore.

*sigh*

See ya'. I'm hanging it up with the boards. I've gotten caught up in these quarrels and I simply can't, in good conscience, be a part of the boards anymore. I no longer want to be a part of that "unhealthy interest in controversies...."

I know we aren't supposed to make "I'm leaving" threads, so I'm posting this in here. I'm hoping everyone sees it, because otherwise I suspect some people may ask "Where's Rob?". So I'm telling everyone up front that I simply can't do this anymore. Aside from honestly believing that God has told me to stop listening to people, and to stay out of the message forums, I have obstinately forged on ignoring His words, and I can see how detrimental it really is becoming. I have WAY too much to be getting done in my personal life, and I'm neglecting a lot of it. And so much of what I'm reading lately is simply turning my stomach, as well as causing some confusion.

Regardless if you stop participating in this forum or not, your decision will not help you with the inevitable dissension you seem to loathe.
All communities have their struggles. Running away is only one choice

Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,767 times
Unhappy Wow Rob!!

I hate to see you go!!
I feel like I was just getting to know you!
If you feel that the Lord is leading you in this then I say go for it!
But you could witness to a lot of people on here!
I sure will miss your wit and knowledge!
Love In Christ!
See ya in Heaven!!
Thefner

Old 10-08-2007, 06:05 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,709 times
I am getting a number of DMs from people regarding my last post about leaving the boards.

I want to make a clarification: I'm only leaving the Religion boards. I'm not leaving C-D entirely. I still visit the different state boards, as well as various other ones at this site. So if you want to DM me at some point, I'll get it.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM

292 posts, read 933,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Rob, the only thing I would be willing to die for is if someone held a gun to my head and told me to denounce my God..
YEP! What she said!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM

292 posts, read 933,866 times
Quote:

*sigh*

WCRob,
If the Lord is saying that to you, you should obey Him. God bless you!!! I will miss you!!!
Jean

Old 10-11-2007, 02:47 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Regardless if you stop participating in this forum or not, your decision will not help you with the inevitable dissension you seem to loathe.
All communities have their struggles. Running away is only one choice
Interesting point. Yes, all communities will have their struggles, and in that respect I may or may not avoid dissensions. But there aren't supposed to be dissensions in the church. Not according to Scripture.

But running away? No. And I really resent that people keep trying to tell me that, because they don't know me well enough to say that. It seems to be a popular thing that people say to others when those other people are simply asserting a decision they've made for themselves. It's a form of a guilt trip, and I don't buy it. I am NOT running away. I'm simply trying to obey what God has told me - which is that I should stop listening to people, and avoid these kinds of religious forums. As it is, I shouldn't be in here posting this message right now, but I saw your post and felt it warranted a response.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Question Running away or running towards?

Before you try to be a Christian (or whatever else you want to be), you should try to be yourself first. The same way you should learn to walk before you attempt to run.
Not listening to other people (whether you agree with them or not) will in the end leave you blind.

When people are frustrated with dissension I always advice them to examine where this dissension actually comes from. Is it internal, external or do you perhaps suffer from a mental affliction or a chemical balance?

Being an idealist is fine as long as you accept that you have limitations. In order to realize your dreams you will always have to wake up first. The second you mistake your idealism with reality you will most likely enter a crisis of faith in which everything will become a struggle.
Change always is.

People who run, either run away from something or run towards something. It is important to truly know the difference.
But it certainly is true that The Truth will set you free, because denial will keep you trapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity