Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who has noticed that any time "Catholic" issues come up on these forums, 99% of those responding are not Catholic?

Just consider this: If you wanted an honest, accurate view of life in California, but most of your information was coming from folks who live in West Virginia and have never been to California, would you take their views seriously? At all?

Just sayin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM

419 posts, read 435,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Am I the only one who has noticed that any time "Catholic" issues come up on these forums, 99% of those responding are not Catholic?

Just consider this: If you wanted an honest, accurate view of life in California, but most of your information was coming from folks who live in West Virginia and have never been to California, would you take their views seriously? At all?

Just sayin....
It tends to be that way with a lot of topics on this board, it seems.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM

428 posts, read 330,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Too bad it's the only channel for Catholics (which is the reason it's famous)! If you're Protestant (Evangelical), you have TBN and Daystar (and numerous cable channels such as Inspiration).
Well those are about 95% Pentecostal/Prosperity teaching. I have them blocked at my house so my family wont be exposed to the false teaching. I wish there was a channel that was for Non-Pentecostals in the world.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Just sayin....
Maybe there are not too many Catholics on this forum. And since it was about a cable channel many people are aware of it.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Maybe there are not too many Catholics on this forum. And since it was about a cable channel many people are aware of it.
That may well be the case. Good point.

But I was addressing more in general than only this particular question. Reading through the Christianity forums you'll see lots of topics that amount to "Why Do Catholics Believe [X]?" or "Why Do Catholics [Y]?" And the majority of the folks who respond are not Catholic and often have no idea what they're talking about. They're just repeating what they've been taught by other non-Catholics. It's an endless misinformation trail. Just something I've noticed.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
That may well be the case. Good point.

But I was addressing more in general than only this particular question. Reading through the Christianity forums you'll see lots of topics that amount to "Why Do Catholics Believe [X]?" or "Why Do Catholics [Y]?" And the majority of the folks who respond are not Catholic and often have no idea what they're talking about. They're just repeating what they've been taught by other non-Catholics. It's an endless misinformation trail. Just something I've noticed.
I think your right based on my experience with having posted questions aimed at certain people. Others do think they know more than those involved sometimes. For instance, I do not pretend to know anything about the RCC first hand. The only one I have ever stepped in was in New Orleans and that was just to walk through.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
I think your right based on my experience with having posted questions aimed at certain people. Others do think they know more than those involved sometimes. For instance, I do not pretend to know anything about the RCC first hand. The only one I have ever stepped in was in New Orleans and that was just to walk through.
No, no. Yours was cool. You merely talked about the EWTN place being close to your area.

I think it's the non-Catholics altogether who choose to come on here and bash the religion. I wonder if I'm one of those, sometimes. I was raised in it, educated in it, and feel I should be able to question the church's doctrines and positions. There are some many Catholics who are holy for 1 hour in a week and questionable the other 167.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, no. Yours was cool. You merely talked about the EWTN place being close to your area.

I think it's the non-Catholics altogether who choose to come on here and bash the religion. I wonder if I'm one of those, sometimes. I was raised in it, educated in it, and feel I should be able to question the church's doctrines and positions. There are some many Catholics who are holy for 1 hour in a week and questionable the other 167.
I would say you have a right to question or comment on the subject.

And there are a lot of Baptist who are that way as well.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
In my experience, when it comes to non-Catholics criticizing the behavior of most Catholics, they tend to be right more often than not. When it comes to non-Catholics criticizing Catholic doctrine, they tend to have no clue what they're talking about.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Not this time, Mark. WesternPilgrim, ted, and I are all Catholic and have made most of the posts, though we don't view things the same way. WesternPilgrim thinks his way (the church's hard line) is the only way. WesternPilgrim doesn't question the Roman Catholic church because I think he's afraid of what he might see. I figured out there were problems during the first year of Catholic high school. And that doesn't mean I think the religion is a bad one, I just think that there are so many Catholics of the cafeteria variety for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity