Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Would you give any consideration to the writings of theologians from the early Christian era known as the "Church Fathers"?

Church Fathers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Nope. I have the Bible. That's all I need.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
these "fathers" are put on a pedestal. they were regular people. If you really want to call anybody a church father, then that would be Paul. He wrote the letters to the gentiles. These church fathers, luther, calvin, armenian etc... have alot of baggage that nobody speaks of. luthers writings were used by the nazi's for jew hating, just like the jew hating luther. who said "

"he who hears this name [God] from a Jew must inform the authorities, or else throw sow dung at him when he sees him and chase him away.
-Martin Luther (On the Jews and Their Lies)
"
They [rulers] must act like a good physician who, when gangrene has set in proceeds without mercy to cut, saw, and burn flesh, veins, bone, and marrow. Such a procedure must also be followed in this instance. Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them, as Moses did...
If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs.
-Martin Luther (On the Jews and Their Lies)

John calvin killed, and had many killed. these days he would be considered a jim jones type. the man was evil. no love, used fear to manipulate folks. The list goes on, but there really is no thing as church fathers. the catholics have saint and the protestants have church fathers.

calvin had people killed for not believing like he did. that is evil.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
these "fathers" are put on a pedestal. they were regular people. If you really want to call anybody a church father, then that would be Paul. He wrote the letters to the gentiles. These church fathers, luther, calvin, armenian etc... have alot of baggage that nobody speaks of.
Luther and Calvin are not considered "Church Fathers". They came along much later!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Would you give any consideration to the writings of theologians from the early Christian era known as the "Church Fathers"?

Church Fathers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I find a lot of what some of them said to be very insightful. The further removed from the time of Christ they were, though, the less reliable I consider their words.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM

428 posts, read 330,886 times
I like to read what people in the first few centuries after the Apostles lived had to say about their understanding of the faith. It may at times give a bit of insight as to how the Christian teachings were received very eairly on before those who attempted to re-write the history of the Church to try and convince people that there new church was the Church that Jesus started. You really have to be careful for there was great effort made to "correct" the truth to fit their teachings.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 PM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Nope. I have the Bible. That's all I need.
To only use the Bible is unbiblical.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 PM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I find a lot of what some of them said to be very insightful. The further removed from the time of Christ they were, though, the less reliable I consider their words.
Kinda like Joseph Smith?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Considering the bible is just a collection of letters, poems and other writings, it doesnt hurt to see what all the church leaders after the apostles: Ignatius of Antioch, Pseudo-Barnabas, Justin Martyr, Theophilus, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, and others were doing. If anything there examples is way more accurate to follow that todays modern interpretation of the scriptures since they were around the closet to Jesus before the RCC got a hold of the bible and all the other translations and transliterations occurred. They also give a very good meaning of what alot of scriptures really meant too, in reagrds to the Sabbath, dietary laws and other areas in scripture.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Luther and Calvin are not considered "Church Fathers". They came along much later!
Agreed. Rather than a father, Luther is more of a grumpy cousin, and Calvin a creepy neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity