Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times

Advertisements

I have looked in the NT for evidence of tithing requirements but can't find it. There is in Matt 22:13-22 about paying taxes to Caesar but that does not apply. Is tithing still a requirement or is God seeking more than just monetary but the spritual tithing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:51 AM

381 posts, read 798,812 times
NO it isn't. Mark 12:41 outlines how to give. the poor widow gave more as jesus said than the rich phairsees that tithed out of their abundance. many scholars agree with me like, Dr. Elizabeth Achtemier of Union theological seminary. I don't have degree in theology but I read what Jesus says as the supreme command.
with Jesus less is more and more is less.... he chose the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.
also, go to you tube and watch some vidoes that a guy called Ringo TV has made. In african american churches poor members are misled and lied to about scripture.
In addition, tithing is the hallmark of the prosperity gospel. it promises riches with the malachi verse which BTW is the only OT verse they cling to. they also attach the give and get the 100 fold return verse to malachi and promises new houses, cars and jobs.
The easiest way to debunk tithing is to simply reference the fact that Jesus is our new high priest in the order of Melchisidek, the high priest of salem, who abraham gave his tithe once a year to, for the atoning sacrifice to offer up for sins.
Now, we have a high priest in Jesus who has pierced the veil of the OT covenant and made peace with God for us through the shed blood on the cross.
lastly, Jesus said , "I desire mercy not sacrifice." A tithe is nothing more than a performance standard that traps people into giving a fixed pretax amount ( this is horrific non scripture heresy) of your earnings. you cannot please God with a tithe as such. It is so outrageous only the misinformed, uniformed masses who dare not question their pastor becasue they don't read their bible. Oh yeah, they can deduct it from their taxes, because the church will readily give you a statement.
I say to you, if you itemize on your taxes after having tithed a fixed pretax amount only to lower your income taxes with an offset of deduction on your AGI shcedule, you make a fool out of all tithers and you are "doubledipping". if you want to tithe, I say no deducting from your income taxe return, because, alas, it wouldn't be a true pretax 10%.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
I believe we are supposed to come together, and share.
I don't believe in tithing, as is taught by modern-day churches, where they teach that you're supposed to give them ten percent, first.
Most churches expect you to do this, if you are a member.
They have a building program, they want you to support.
I do not believe, I need to build another fancy building.
There are enough buildings, unless you need a basic structure, to hold services in.
I think the era of the mega-church is pretty much over, people are losing jobs, losing homes. They're not going to be able to support all this frenzied building.

In fact, I believe we are entering an era of house church, where people will begin gathering together, in homes.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
NO! This was a bone of contention between me and the UPC church. There were times when my family was barely making it and they still would say that it was a sin not to pay that 10% One time our water was cut off because my spouse instisted we paid the church first. Well we see how that went!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
NO! This was a bone of contention between me and the UPC church. There were times when my family was barely making it and they still would say that it was a sin not to pay that 10% One time our water was cut off because my spouse instisted we paid the church first. Well we see how that went!
Exactly. Why did they not give you, money to pay your water bill? Why were your needs, not important? If you were a member, and experiencing difficulty, why was not help extended?
I have seen this, many times.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I have looked in the NT for evidence of tithing requirements but can't find it. There is in Matt 22:13-22 about paying taxes to Caesar but that does not apply. Is tithing still a requirement or is God seeking more than just monetary but the spritual tithing?
It is not a "requirement" but it does show obedience. If you have the money then you should give. Give what you can. "God loves a cheerful giver"

Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It is not a "requirement" but it does show obedience. If you have the money then you should give. Give what you can. "God loves a cheerful giver"
What about DaniMae1's situation? Do you think she was obligated to give, when her own family, was enduring hardship?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Totally agree.

Being a good steward is more important than tithing. So we must ask ourselves what a good steward is... and it isn't always about money.

1Tim 6:17-19
Command those who are rich in this world’s goods not to be haughty or to set their hope on riches, which are uncertain, but on God who richly provides us with all things for our enjoyment. 18 Tell them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, to be generous givers, sharing with others. 19 In this way they will save up a treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the future and so lay hold of what is truly life.

Looking at the stubs in our check books say's a lot about our priorities.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
What about DaniMae1's situation? Do you think she was obligated to give, when her own family, was enduring hardship?
I said, "IF you can give, then give". God wants you to take care of your family first, get out of financial problems as quick as you can so you can resume giving.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I said, IF you can give, then give. God wants you to take care of your family first, get out of financial as quick as you can then start to give when you can give.
You still did not answer my question, unless that was your answer, that you feel it was okay for them to not give, until their finances were on better footing.

Am I understanding you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity