Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:10 AM

259 posts, read 1,181,998 times

Advertisements

In the last year I have come to have such an appreciation for old hymns, largely due to a pastor who likes selecting very old hymns, and also due to the work of RUF's Indelible Grace CDs. Many of these great hymns that are being revived and sung again I had never heard growing up because I think my childhood church sang mostly southern gospel/baptist hymns and ignored the much older hymnwriters. Not to mention my foray into Pentacostal churches led my even further away from traditional hymns.

I've recently come to marvel at the insight and somber poeticism of hymnwriters like Isaac Watts, Samuel Wesley, Charles Wesley, Emily E. S. Elliott, Fanny Crosby, etc.
anyone care to post their favorite? Heres one of mine, its not that old but kind of obscure:

"We Have Not Known Thee as We Ought"
Thomas Pollock, published 1889.

We have not known Thee as we ought,
Nor learned Thy wisdom, grace and power;
The things of earth have filled our thought,
And trifles of the passing hour.
Lord, give us light Thy truth to see,
And make us wise in knowing Thee.

We have not feared Thee as we ought,
Nor bowed beneath Thine awful eye,
Nor guarded deed and word and thought,
Remembering that God was nigh.
Lord, give us faith to know Thee near,
And grant the grace of holy fear.

We have not loved Thee as we ought,
Nor cared that we are loved by Thee;
Thy presence we have coldly sought,
And feebly longed Thy face to see.
Lord, give a pure and loving heart
To feel and know the love Thou art.

We have not served Thee as we ought,
Alas, the duties left undone,
The work with little fervor wrought,
The battles lost or scarcely won!
Lord, give the zeal, and give the might,
For Thee to toil, for Thee to fight.

When shall we know Thee as we ought,
And fear and love and serve aright?
When shall we, out of trial brought,
Be perfect in the land of light?
Lord, may we day by day prepare
To see Thy face and serve Thee there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
I totally agree. I love old hymns,they really speak to my heart. Everytime I hear an old familiar hymn it takes me back to my childhood sitting with my family in those old wooden church pews listening to my momma sing....so many years ago. Man I miss those. There is something reverent and holy about those songs. Can`t say that I have a favorite,there are soo many. How about..Just a closer walk with thee. Thanks for taking me back..it brought a smile to my face.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:02 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I totally agree. I love old hymns,they really speak to my heart. Everytime I hear an old familiar hymn it takes me back to my childhood sitting with my family in those old wooden church pews listening to my momma sing....so many years ago. Man I miss those. There is something reverent and holy about those songs. Can`t say that I have a favorite,there are soo many. How about..Just a closer walk with thee. Thanks for taking me back..it brought a smile to my face.

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Refrain
Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

Refrain

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.
Refrain

Old 10-12-2007, 06:26 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
How Great thou art..is my fave hymn....probably because it was my grandmas wish that i learn to play that on the piano..everyday she would ask me " have you learned to play how great thou art yet?"..and I was like grandma..Ive only been taking lessons for two weeks-lol...I finally did learn to play it and she cried when she heard it.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,847 times
My favorite is also centered around my Grandmom. Shows what influence you really do have on a child. She loved and I do too....I Come the the Garden Alone/In the Garden.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
My favorite is also centered around my Grandmom. Shows what influence you really do have on a child. She loved and I do too....I Come the the Garden Alone/In the Garden.
That's a good one!

My all-time favorite is It Is Well With My Soul. Powerful lyrics. (The best part is bolded.)

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Default Old hymns...

dojilynn,
"It is Well with my Soul" is a favorite of mine as well. My husband played it on the viola at our son's memorial service. (It was written by Horatio Spafford upon learning of his 3 daughter's deaths at sea.)

As far as old hymns, I also like "Amazing Grace" and "The Old Rugged Cross." And also one from my Baptist childhood they used a lot in altar calls-"Softly and Tenderly."

Just a note--Actually, y'all, I think it is against the CD rules to post lyrics here (can only post titles unless the song is so old it would fall into "public domain.")

Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times

YouTube - "It Is Well With My Soul" By David Phelps

Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
A Beautiful Life, Blest Be the Tie that Binds, Little is Much, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, Almost Persuaded, Sweet By and By, Christ Arose, Church in the Wildwood, Oh I want to See Him, Pass Me Not oh Gentle Saviour, Faith of our Fathers, Shall We Gather at the River, Stand Up Stand Up for Jesus, Going Home, He Leadeth Me, Only Trust Him, Victory in Jesus, Heavenly Sunlight, Lily of the Valley, Unclouded Day

And many others. I might be an atheist, at times even a militant one, but I was brought up in a FWB home, and as a musician these beautiful works of art sure are hard to leave behind. I still love playing them and singing them in choirs.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
I have many favorite old hymns. Some are Christ the Lord Has Risen Today, It is Well with my Soul, Jesus, Rose of Sharon , My Jesus I Love Thee, Let us Break Bread Together, but my favorite is All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name. I use to listen to the senior choir sing it when I was little girl. They use to sing the James Ellor arrangement and it was a hard one for them to sing because they were very elderly, but I LOVED it! The melody is on this site along with 2 other 2.
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/h/ahtpojn.htm

But I just came across a great you tube video of Avalon singing the Oliver Holder arrangement. Check it out

YouTube - "All Hail The Power Of Jesus Name" By Avalon

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-12-2007 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity