Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 02:21 PM

1,339 posts, read 650,345 times

Advertisements

I just realized that......some people in those sub-forum are in their 60s.... my mind is like blown...I'm sitting here thinking "I'm chatting online with senior citizens about Christianity...."

Just curious....how old is everyone?

Full transparency....I'm a few months away from hitting my mid 30s.

Second question and the purpose of this thread: some people experience God early in their life (20s and 30s). For others, they might not experience God until later in their life (50s, 60s, 70s). Some might be agnostic or atheist until they hit their 70s and it hits them like a brick to the face and they become Christian.

when did you feel comfortable in your faith?

For me....I'm still learning. I was raised Protestant. Lutheran-ELCA to be specific. I broke away and became non-denominational for a while. Now I am confident in saying I am a Christian, neither Protestant nor Catholic. But I do believe in God. Though I am still learning more about the history of the Church and what differentiates Christianity from other religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 02:51 PM

63,780 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I just realized that......some people in those sub-forum are in their 60s.... my mind is like blown...I'm sitting here thinking "I'm chatting online with senior citizens about Christianity...."

Second question and the purpose of this thread: some people experience God early in their life (20s and 30s). For others, they might not experience God until later in their life (50s, 60s, 70s). Some might be agnostic or atheist until they hit their 70s and it hits them like a brick to the face and they become Christian.

For me....I'm still learning. I was raised Protestant. Lutheran-ELCA to be specific. I broke away and became non-denominational for a while. Now I am confident in saying I am a Christian, neither Protestant nor Catholic. But I do believe in God. Though I am still learning more about the history of the Church and what differentiates Christianity from other religions.
I am a VERY senior citizen - in the latter half of my 80's.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:16 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
65. Least faith in Christianity now than at any other point in my life.

Laughed heartily over your mind being blown at the realization that you are chatting online with "senior citizens".

Remember this cute little saying for someday: "Inside every old person is a young person, surprised".

Old 02-28-2024, 03:21 PM

1,339 posts, read 650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am a VERY senior citizen - in the latter half of my 80's.
hoollly ****.... very rare to see someone your age still actively using a computer. kudos to you!

but you didn't answer the second question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
65. Least faith in Christianity now than at any other point in my life.

Laughed heartily over your mind being blown at the realization that you are chatting online with "senior citizens".

Remember this cute little saying for someday: "Inside every old person is a young person, surprised".

Yea.... some old people actually act their age: old. they forget how to act youthful. as though they've been through so much **** in this world that being young is something they can no longer do.

I remember going over to my neighbor's house during Christmas. they were like "we're young on the inside. old on the outside." was refreshing to hear that. it's nice to see senior citizens still enjoying life.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:52 PM

63,780 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
hoollly ****.... very rare to see someone your age still actively using a computer. kudos to you!

but you didn't answer the second question.
I was an atheist until my 30's when I encountered God in deep meditation. It was unmistakable consciousness-to-consciousness contact so my atheism was immediately erased. I spent decades trying to explain to my intellect how it could be possible using science. I finally succeeded. I also discovered that the "mind of Christ" exactly matched the "mind of God" I encountered. But I was not "comfortable" with the religion and dogma that grew up around Him. It took a while for me to reconcile the irrational, barbaric, and primitive rationale with a more rational one consistent with the "mind of Christ" as He presented Himself in the narrative.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:47 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times
I'm 35. I can't say I ever truly struggled with the faith. I just see it as my inheritance.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:54 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Lol ... bit of a stereotype there. I'll be 67 next month and I'm in my 41st year as a software developer, mostly back-end these days. Spend most of my day on a Mac Studio with 64G of RAM, although the bulk of my paying work is actually done on Windows Server 2022 via RDP.

So there!

My basic religious trajectory was:

Age 6-36, Fundamentalist Christian
Age 37-present, atheist

Quite the transition. Although it actually was a little more gradual, I probably was starting to question my beliefs by my late 20s (about the time my brain was fully formed) and probably was 40 before I admitted to myself that I was an atheist. The last 3 years or so, I was still probing around for possible alternative religious beliefs, but they all had the same problem as far as I was concerned: the failed epistemology of religious faith.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:57 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:

I don’t feel like a senior citizen, but yep I’m 63

I was raised partly Presbyterian, then Assemblies of God but left the organisational in the mid 1970’s I guess, still believing in God/higher power, and spirituality. In my late 40’s I developed an interest in the Holy Scriptures especially regarding prophecy, symbols and timing related things

And yep, still learning… lol

Last edited by Meerkat2; 02-28-2024 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-28-2024, 05:21 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times
I believe I misspoke. I can't say I struggled with the faith in a modern sense. Which I believe for most in the US could mean belief concerning God's existence. When I think about struggle, I would say in terms of having my loyalty tested thoroughly. Even Jesus struggled in His trial before going to the cross, and He is the Master. I haven't been tested like that.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:38 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Quote:

I am 65 years old and was raised as Baptist, was baptized at age 12 and considered myself to be a believer but I did not understand so many things. When I was in my late 20's I began to seek God and wanted a deeper relationship with Him. I wanted to know more about the Christian life and sought to dedicate my life to Christ on a deeper level. I became a member of the church of Christ for about 15 years and then I began to dig deeper into God's word and seek to learn more about His nature, will, and intentions. I became a Christian Universalist around the age of 40 and continue to seek His will and hope to continue to grow in the faith. At this time in my life, I believe that I am closer to God than I have ever been because of His kindness and mercy to me. God bless..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity