Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:33 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
Long story short - a person I know has expressed to me that while they believe in God, they also strongly believe in evolution and go further to say that they think that the Bible is merely a set of stories of how people should live their lives. How do you respond to this?
How about "live and let live"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
I would also add that they are heavy into evolution whereby they fully back evolution but do acknowledge that there is a God out there. I would not say they have a personal relationship with God.
It strikes me as odd that you would even presume to guess that what a person's relationship with God is. I mean how are you making this determination? I know of many Christians (including myself) who believe in evolution but who also believe that God is fully in control of the process. And lest you wonder, I have what I would describe as a very personal relationship with God.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
Some parts of the bible are rough and offensive so I could see how that could happen. However I believe in evolution I just see god as the cause of it. Or the Big Bang theory I just see god as the person who did the bang etc

Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM

55 posts, read 63,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Are you serious? This is like #1 in the arguments Creationists should not use. A scientific theory is not a layman's terminology. It doesn't mean a guess. A scientific theory is the best anything ever becomes. It is a well evidenced and observed explanation for the mechanisms of a specific scientific phenomenon. Gravity is a Theory. Atomic Energy is a Theory. Plate Tectonics is a Theory. Germs is a Theory.

A law, is a mathematical formula used to express a certain aspect of a scientific theory. A theory does not become a law.

"It is a well evidenced and observed explanation for the mechanisms of a specific scientific phenomenon"

Thanks, That just means a good guess to me. Oh, I'm just a layman!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It strikes me as odd that you would even presume to guess that what a person's relationship with God is. I mean how are you making this determination? I know of many Christians (including myself) who believe in evolution but who also believe that God is fully in control of the process. And lest you wonder, I have what I would describe as a very personal relationship with God.
Agree 100%.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty3ad View Post
"It is a well evidenced and observed explanation for the mechanisms of a specific scientific phenomenon"

Thanks, That just means a good guess to me. Oh, I'm just a layman!
And you would be wrong. Theories are not guesses. Guesses don't have millions of pieces of evidence supporting them.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Long story short - a person I know has expressed to me that while they believe in God, they also strongly believe in evolution and go further to say that they think that the Bible is merely a set of stories of how people should live their lives. How do you respond to this?
The mere fact they tell you the Bible is a set of stories of how people should live their lives, is a good indication they haven't spent much time reading it. I think the Book of Genesis is the probably the reason most don't venture further into the book. They can't seem to get past the whole "six days" thing. But God's six days and our six days are likely two separate distinctions. Rarely do I see anyone comment that a day in God's mind is like a billion+ in ours. I recently read a book where one of the characters stated, "Mankind has to evolve to his current level before he's able to understand the story as originally written." I think that the Book of Genesis is a perfect example of that idea.

It's a fascinating debate and probably one where humans will never agree.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
The Devil believes in God. That's not enough to simply believe.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
It was more just a casual conversation type thing where going to church came up and the person just sort of said they believe in evolution now and that the Bible is just really full of moral stories on how we should act, especially given some of the outlandish events that it speaks of (their words not mine!). So to answer your question, no, I just was seeing this as an opportunity to witness but didn't exactly know what to say...
Or you could see this as an opportunity to do some soul-searching and SELF-examination.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM

239 posts, read 193,166 times
If one cannot trust God enough to believe He can give us His Word and keep it correct for us today then how can you trust God for anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity