Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM

167 posts, read 179,684 times

Advertisements

1 John 5:7 (King James Version)7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

God told us in his word to test the inspired word. Warned us that it is possible to be incorrect or fraudulent.

In 1 John 5:7 the words "in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one" as in the KJV and other early translations, were spurious. A footnote in The Jerusalem Bible, a Catholic translation says: "not in any of the early Greek MSS, or any of the early translations, or in the best MSS of the Vulg[ate] itself." According to A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, by Bruce Metzger - 1975, pp. 716-718, the spurious verse first appears in the treatise "Liber Apologeticus" of the fourth century, and an Old Latin and Vulgate manuscript of the Scriptures beginning in the 6th century. Modern translations recognize this and omit the verse.

John 1:1 (King James Version)1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1808: "and the word was a god." The New Testament, in an Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome's New Translation: With a Corrected Text, London.

1864: "and a god was the Word." The Emphatic Diaglott, by Benjamin Wilson, New York and London.

1935: "and the Word was divine." The Bible-An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed, Chicago.

1935: "the Logos was divine." A New Translation of the Bible, by James Moffatt, New York.

1975: "and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word." Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz, Göttingen, Germany.

1978: "and godlike sort was the Logos." Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin.

1979: "and a god was the Logos." Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Jurgen Becker, Würzburg, Germany.

John 1:1 - In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God (Literally "was toward the God." Greek en pros ton The·on′; Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by Franz Delitzsch, London, 1981 ed., Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by Isaac Salkinson and C. D. Ginsburg, London. the Hebrew, ha·yah′ 'eth ha·'Elo·him′), and the Word was a god (Greek, the·os′, in contrast with ton The·on′, "the God," in the same sentence; Hebrew, we'·lo·him′, "and god."

The Greek word θεός (the·os′) is a singular predicate noun occurring before the verb and is not preceded by the definite article. This is an anarthrous the·os′. The God with whom the Word, or Logos, was originally is designated here by the Greek expression ὁ θεός, that is, the·os′ preceded by the definite article ho. This is an articular the·os′. The articular construction of the noun points to an identity, a personality, whereas a singular anarthrous predicate noun preceding the verb points to a quality about someone. John was saying that the Word or Logos was "a god" or "divine" or "godlike" rather than that he was the God with whom he was.

There are many cases of a singular anarthrous predicate noun preceding the verb, such as in Mark 6:49; 11:32; John 4:19; 6:70; 8:44; 9:17; 10:1, 13, 33; 12:6. Where "a" or "an" is inserted "an appatition" or "a spirit" or "a liar" or "a prophet" or "a god."

In the article "Qualitative Anarthrous Predicate Nouns: Mark 15:39 and John 1:1," published in the Journal of Biblical Literature, Vol. 92, Philadelphia, 1973, p. 85, Philip B. Harner said about John 1:1: "with an anarthrous predicate preceding the verb, are primarily qualitative in meaning. They indicate that the logos has the nature of theos. There is no basis for regarding the predicate theos as definite." On p. 87 of his article, Harner concluded: "In John 1:1 I think that the qualitative force of the predicate is so prominent that the noun cannot be regarded as definite."

Lets take this discussion in small steps, with only 2 or 3 Bible verses at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
So, Theist, now that we know who you think Jesus wasn't, who do you think He was?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
In John 1: 14.... Says ``And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us , and we beheld His glory, as of the only begotten of the Father full of grace and truth``..... See Jesus was the only begotten Son of God as He came from heavenly creation and not of any seed of man or women , be was begotten of God , and says that He was the Word which became flesh ....

Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,090 times
here we go.....

Old 11-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So, Theist, now that we know who you think Jesus wasn't, who do you think He was?
Well, since John 5:7 is spurious and therefore doesn't count, at this point in the discussion I can safely determine that he was the word, or spokesperson for Jehovah and that he was divine, or godlike. A god.

In other words a perfect representative of Jehovah God.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
here we go.....
Wow! That was truly profound.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
here we go.....
Yeah. I know, sorry, but I felt it had to be done. Again.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM

398 posts, read 545,297 times
"..........

Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to His disciples, "These infants being suckled are like those who enter the Kingdom."

They said to Him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the Kingdom?"

Jesus said to them, "When you make the inside like the outside, and the outside like the inside;
and the above like the below
and when you make the male and the female one in the same so that male not be male nor the female, female;
and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye
and a hand in place of a hand,
and a foot in place of a foot
and a likeness in place of a likeness, then you shall enter the Kingdom."

........................."

Gospel of Thomas, Verse 22.

FWIW.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In John 1: 14.... Says ``And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us , and we beheld His glory, as of the only begotten of the Father full of grace and truth``..... See Jesus was the only begotten Son of God as He came from heavenly creation and not of any seed of man or women , be was begotten of God , and says that He was the Word which became flesh ....
Right. So you would agree with me that, according to John 1:14 Jesus was the firstborn of creation and the only portion of creation which was created exclusively by Jehovah?

So far there isn't a contradiction in the Bible regarding the conclusion that Jesus wasn't God. After consideration of John 1:1, 14 and the dismissal of John 5:7 as spurious.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Default Mods: From my C drive-wrote it myself

The concept of the Trinity is based on what the Bible teaches. The doctrine of the trinity is not stated in one sentence per se, but rather like this. If A=B and B=C then A=C. So we have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1 and 1:14 plus Phil 2:5-8. Other scriptures say the Holy Spirit is God such as Romans 8:9-11, 2Cor 3:3 and 17-18 plus Acts 5:3-4. This is the short list. There are more scriptures that support the deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

There are a number of scriptures that state the same attribute for God and Jesus. Jesus and God cannot both possess these particular attributes, unless they are one and the same.

Compare what is said about God and Jesus:

As Creator of all things:
God: Genesis 1:1
Jesus: Colossians 1:16

As Savior
God: Isaiah 43:11
Jesus: Titus 3:6

The Alpha and Omega:
God: Revelation 21:6
Jesus: Revelation 22:13

The First and the Last:
God: Isaiah 44:6
Jesus: Revelation 1:17 & 2:8

Every Knee Shall Bow to me:
God: Isaiah 45:23
Jesus: Philippians 2:10-11

Read John 10:30-33 --Jesus said, I and My Father are one.”
Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?” The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”
See what the Jews said in reaction to Jesus saying He and the Father were one. They knew what Jesus meant.

And look at what the Jews said in Luke 5:20-25--When Jesus saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.” And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

The Jews were correct in saying that only God can forgive sins.

We have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1--In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And then John 1:14-- And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. (bear in mind that God can be in two or more places at once.

Phil 2:5-8 says: Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

1Tim 3:16 says (NKJV):

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:

God was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory.
A final cite: Isaiah 43:10

You are My witnesses,” says the LORD,

“ And My servant whom I have chosen,
That you may know and believe Me,
And understand that I am He.
Before Me there was no God formed,
Nor shall there be after Me.

So says the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity